Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Stetson, made in Finland

Quixote

New in Town
Kuva071.jpg

Kuva073.jpg

I found this old hat at my grandparents' house. I couldn't get a good picture of the text on the sweatband, but it says "Royal Stetson" with the logo of the John B. Stetson Company. It also says "Manufactured in Finland under licence". It's marked a size 7, which is way too small for my noggin.

As you can see, the hat has suffered a lot. (It actually looks a bit too good in the photos) The previous owner of the hat had folded the sweatband in, presumably to better fit the size of his head. The fold is quite ugly. The liner has also gone missing at some point.

The hatband is of a nice golden hue, but there are darker stains and moisture damage on it. I'm not sure if they could be cleaned. There is also a small bit of loss of felt on the pinch of the crown (barely visible, but there it is in the first picture)

The felt is very soft and smooth and of a light grey colour.

I know it's a bit difficult with this little material, but is someone able to shed some light on the age of this hat? Any expert opinions on what should be done about the condition?

My unexpert opinion would be mid-40's on age. It's actually a very nice hat,
probably beautiful in its day. A good hatmaker/repairer could probably bring it close to its original look. If you're in the States, any of the hatters discussed on this forum could handle the rehabilitation.

theinterchange

One Too Many
What a great find, even in it's current "poorly" condition.

I can't really get a look at the size tag, is it "keyhole" shaped? There's a handy thread about dating Stetsons by the size tag, and one about dating with liner crests... which obviously doesn't apply here. Let me try to locate it for you.

Welcome to the lounge, Quixote. And I love your avatar!

Randy

::EDIT::

Sorry, I can't seem to locate the thread I mentioned... sadly I did find the liner dating thread.

I have a couple of Stetsons made by Mayser under license for the German market. They are from the late 1950s. Your Finish one uses a US or UK hat size while my Stetson - Maysers use Euro cm sizing. Can you find out anything about who had the Stetson license in Finland? It might also end up shading some light on your unusual Hückel.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regarding care for this hat:

Once you've determined the hat's age, you should then determine if you'd like to keep this, or sell it.

If you're keeping it, and you don't mind a little investment, you'll need the hat professionally blocked and cleaned. Meanwhile, they will want to replace the sweatband, replace the ribbon (although if the ribbon isn't silk, they may be able to clean it for you - just replace it), and put a new liner in for you.

In the US, a job like that might cost anywhere from $50-100 depending on where you go, and who you know.

This kind of job, for a hat in this condition, isn't really something you should do on your own unless you have alot of experience with hat cleaning and restoration. The hole in the pinch is bad news, unfortunately, and you're not going to be able to fix that. :(

Quixote

New in Town
Thank you theinterchange! Is that Inspector Japp in your avatar, or have I mistaken?

The size tag is keyhole shaped, but I don't know what it means...

Well, I'm in Finland, and professional hatters are almost nonexistant. I don't know any that would have hat repairs in their repertoire. I could try and find someone who could do this. Whether I had it repaired or not, I would have no use for it since it is way too small for me... I'll be keeping it for now though, as I'm not exactly in desperate need of money. :D

theinterchange

One Too Many
Quixote said:
Thank you theinterchange! Is that Inspector Japp in your avatar, or have I mistaken?

It was the Chief Inspector Japp, but has since changed to Jaws. ;) I'd had Japp for quite some time, he needed to be updated.

Unless I'm mistaken and please anyone who knows better correct me if I'm wrong, but the keyhole size tags were used in the early to mid/late 1950's. I had a Stetson Open Road which was from the very late 50's and it didn't have the keyhole tag.

Randy

rlk

I'll Lock Up
theinterchange said:
It was the Chief Inspector Japp, but has since changed to Jaws. ;) I'd had Japp for quite some time, he needed to be updated.

Unless I'm mistaken and please anyone who knows better correct me if I'm wrong, but the keyhole size tags were used in the early to mid/late 1950's. I had a Stetson Open Road which was from the very late 50's and it didn't have the keyhole tag.

Randy
Keyhole tags were mid 30's to 1960-ish

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quixote said:
Well, I'm in Finland, and professional hatters are almost nonexistant. I don't know any that would have hat repairs in their repertoire. I could try and find someone who could do this.

I don't know if cowboy hats are very popular in Finland, but you could try a shop that sells those - they typically have a block and steaming area, and shouldn't have much trouble servicing a liner and ribbon.

Otherwise, you could always mail away for it.

But of course, as you've mentioned, as you don't plan to wear it, the repairs may not necessarily be necessary. ;)

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Interesting. I knew they made lids a lot here up until the 60's but then the fashion changed and the hatmakers and even hatshops slowly disappeared.

In the 80's if you wanted a fedora you'd buy a black smells-like-wet-dog Equadorian one off a market vendor as there was one or two upscale shops only, and the "old men" wore faux leather trilbies. Hrm... should I confess to owning both... remolded the Equadorian actually yesterday... still a bit canine whiff.

But yeah.. did a bit of Googling and tried all my magic words, but couldn't come up with a hat factory that had had the license.

I have a very vague recollection of my dad having a black soft felt that was totally unshaped, similarily without lining and with a brown sweatband but if the stamp said "stetson" or was it then the homburg-style "better one".

Finding a hatter here... well, they mainly do womens' stuff... theres a few around that do specialities like the fancy lids for the PhD's, but you are then seriously paying up the wazoo.

OK quixote, ollos hyvä http://www.hattukauppa.fi/jasenliikkeet/

m000m000

One of the Regulars
E. R. Wahlman actually also sell a limited sortiment of men's dress hats, and while limited, it still probably is the widest selection of hats you can find in retail up here.

I recall my grandfather having a license-made stetson, might still have it tucked away in some closet at my parents house with some other stored memorabilia - He passed away when I was still a teenager, and back then I was generally more interested in other things than old headwear :p.

FormerHatter

New in Town
Stetson Licensees

Stetson had many licensees all over the world. The firm that makes Akubra in Australia was the largest. Tardan in Mexico City had the Mexican license and may still hold it. As mentioned in the thread, there were several in Europe. Technically, Hatco holds a license for America from the original J. B. Stetson Co., which exists only as a licensing company. Stetson aftershave and Stetson eyeglass frames are also part of what they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner