Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Streetstyle Thread

crazydaisy

Practically Family
laurakitty said:
I love these girls. This is more how I wear my vintage- vintage with a twist. I'm really interested in seeing how everyone of this forum puts together their outfits, but girls rarely post in the "what are you wearing?" thread (I wouldn't feel comfortable posting in it either as most of them men seem like complete purists, which I am not). I'd love if anyone wanted to add their own photos to this thread.

Laurakitty, there's nothing to fear about that thread. I have posted there AND I'm new around here AND my outfits were not vintage as such, more on the twist side ;) ...and guess what: I received a warm welcome.
Just go for it! It is what you wear at the end of the day, isn't it? Sure everyone has got their personal taste, but that doesn't keep anyone from appreciating diversity and there's nothing as good as seeing that someone has got their individual style. You don't have to be the same as everyone else, you know that. Every time you go out on the street you assume your style, so why would it be different in the lounge? :)

rosierawhyde

New in Town
Oh wow, thank you so much for posting this. I love the different styles shown and the colors. I am very much attracted to the "whimsical" and bright colors. These photos are just beautiful. :eusa_clap

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Great photo's, thanks for posting. I especially like this. I can see a hunt for harlequin fabric on my horizon :)
20081207_01.jpg

$ally

One Too Many
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wears opaque tights! They all wear it well, very put together.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"streetstyle" is a phrase that I am unfamiliar with, does it mean something in particular? Or do you mean daywear? Or does it have to be out in the street?

I like some of these outfits, but still prefer a head-to-toe vintage look all in one era. Is that not compatible with whatever "streetstyle" means?

Pardon my denseness... maybe it's something we don't have out here in California yet - or, que horror, maybe it's a youth trend...

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
"streetstyle" is a phrase that I am unfamiliar with, does it mean something in particular? Or do you mean daywear? Or does it have to be out in the street?
There are a number of websites that post pictures of people found out and about on the street. One of the most well known ones is the Satorialist:
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

I think it's just meant to show what real people actually wear as opposed to fashion shows. Here's another interesting one:
3029blucoatWeb.jpg

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Even though I'll be staying in all day, this thread makes me want to roll out of my pyjamas and put myself together properly!

Emer

One of the Regulars
Goldfish, these are awesome! Thanks for sharing! I'll be on that site for the next 4 hours...

The Shirt, I am the same way about accesories! Now that I'm finally getting down the basics for clothes, I need to learn to polish off the look.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Well, I am not quite sure where to post this, so I will do it here! :)

I *heart* how these folks dress....I have always wanted to have more of an "eclectic" vintage look....I like mixing colors and eras and artsy-fartsiness, so these images light a real fire under my butt.

And you know what else does?

:eek:fftopic:

Trying to shop for pants. (That's "trousers" for you Brits out there...not undies.)
I am so mad right now I can hardly stand it! :) Well.....irritated.....I don't really get that mad about anything.....HOWEVER, I have decided that shopping for a modern pair of pants is worse than shopping for a bra. What is UP with the short-rise these days?? I feel like my crotch is being wedged into...well, I don't know what...but those pants are ill-fitting and it ain't pretty!!:rage:

Just another reason to keep sewing keep sewing keep sewing. I need to learn to make longer-rise pants that sit at or above my waist instead of this new "just below the waist for a modern fit" rubbish. Or quit wearing them altogether and just wear skirts.

Sigh.

Okay...I am done. But I did find one cute black and white houndstooth looking dress to wear with..................red tights!

P.s. If someone can direct me to an "ill fitting pants of rage" thread, that would be loverly.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips said:
Goldfish, thanks for picking out and posting those lovely retro-looking pics from Hel Looks! I took a quick peek at the site and didn't like the majority of outfits, so I'm grateful you selected such inspiring ones! This girl makes me daydream:

20090208_06.jpg

See, I find this outfit to be completely unflattering on her. It makes her look frumpy.

There's something about a lot of these that I just don't like.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Totally off topic, but I have to say, MissAmelina, that "ill fitting pants of rage" made me laugh! I HATE buying modern pants! Can I PLEASE buy pants that have zipper longer than three inches!?!? I'm six feet tall, so I've always had pants issues, but I can't believe I thought it was tough in the 90's! This century is making it FAR WORSE!!!

Back on topic: I'm really enjoying this thread! It's interesting to see what people are really wearing in places more cosmopolitan than my little town!

Smuterella

One Too Many
^ I'm not sure that the camera angle entirely helps, plus she is stood straight on and is swaddled in winter clothing.

I think she looks adorable.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
I guess we're the purists!

I don't think it's "purist" in my case. In my eye, so many of the "streetstyle" pics look like the worst of the 80s. High Fashion keeps trying to shove 80s fashion down our throats. It might look cool to younger people, but to anyone old enough to have worn it the first time around, it's awful. My hatred of 80's fashion is why I don't like 40s fashion. Unless you wear 40s fashion with 40s heels, hair, the whole look, it quickly turns into 80s fashion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24