Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage styles for short hair

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
And there there is the cute picture off of a stamp that I adore.

2000041330171494107_rs.jpg

Do you think these would both work with darker hair?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Whether it's easy to maintain depends on your hair, the weather, your lifestyle and what you consider "easy." Thick, straight hair in humidity: probably not possible. Other kinds of hair, I don't know. Readers?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Dottie said:
And there there is the cute picture off of a stamp that I adore.

2000041330171494107_rs.jpg

Do you think these would both work with darker hair?

Dark hair, probably. I just don't think it's quite right for a young gal. I like the first hairdo better.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
And I second what Paisely just said! What may look adorable on one gal, might look disasterous on the next. Another tip is to go by face shapes; different shapes of faces tend to look better with different cuts.
Also, when you go to the salon for your haircut, bring a picture of what you are wanting. A lot can be lost in translation, and hair is just one of those things you don't want screwed up!!!!!

absolutely. the 20s pixie bob is a fantastic cut, but doesn't work for everyone, and it really depends on what kind of look you want. note that a bob should NOT fall at the widest section of your face, or it will make your face look fat. If you have a pudgey face, your hair ends should fall at your chin or lower to help elongate the lines of your face. i've had a bob for 10+ years now and have definitely had my share of disastrous ones. take a picture of what you want but definitely work with your stylist to find something that will be flattering for your facial contours.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I always keep my hair this length (give or take a couple inches) just because it is so much easier to deal with. Admittedly, I'd like it a tad longer for ponytails, but I'm content with this length.

I have only tried two vintage-ish styles with my hair (that I've worn in public) - the style in my av, and a pomp, which I adore (which I don't have a pic of yet...) For the avatar style, I simply part my hair where I normally do, and comb it back a bit. I gently twist it (to the left, I think) once and slightly push it forward. I use either a hair comb or a barrette to secure it, and then spray lightly with hair spray. For the back and remaining sides that hang down, I use my hot air curling brush.

The pomp is super easy and I wear it when I'm in a hurry or just want to get my hair out of my face. Pull the front section (where your bangs would be plus a little extra if you have thinner hair/bangs) back as if you were going to clip it as is. Secure with elastic hair tie, not super tight but tight enough that hair won't slip through. Gently pull the hair tie back, creating a little slack in the hair. Next, push the hair forward gently, creating the pomp and secure with either a small barrette or bobby pins. You will have to spray the heck out of the pomp to help keep it's shape! I find if I do this while my hair is still damp it hold shape a little better and doesn't look so sparse. Lately I've been wearing a wide headband over the barrette area to hide it a bit...totally up to you. Heck, this style is probably old news to most of you - but I was so excited when I actually got it to look good! If I'm feeling extra lazy, I'll tie the remaining hair back, but most of the time I'll curl the ends.

I can wear rolls in my hair (if I can get them to look good enough!) and it looks ok, but I don't have the patience to get them just right every day.

I *love* that MM photo that JBD posted...

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Miss Dottie said:
I dream about the chance to have this specacular cut pretty much every day. Ooh! I wish I had straight hair, but my curl/frizz combo makes it a hair pipe dream.

Bummer! I think everyone looks fantastic with a bob! Maybe you could get your hair cut into a bob shape, but let the natural curl take over? That would be a cute vintage-inspired look. No bangs, though. Instead, make a side parting and do a little spitcurl on the corner of your forehead. That would look really cute on you.

Good luck with whatever you get done, though!

olive bleu

One Too Many
this is the pic i was thinking of, that i saw in another thread, posted by PAUL( hope you don't mind, paul!!) this is what I have going on at the moment.Super easy. I can do finger waves, if i want something a bit more special, but generally, i can just let it air dry because my hair is so wavy, and it just ends up pretty much like this.
beautiful.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I always say that if you're going from long to short to take it easy! I don't know why but for lady's, having your hair chopped off can be a dramatic experience!
I really like the picture of Marilyn Monroe, you can do A LOT with that style of hair, and having it up in curlers, it can become even shorter if you're in the mood for that (curlers removed of course!)

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
A couple years ago I wore a LB-style black bobbed wig for a student film I was in-- and I got so many compliments on the style, that there's been this itching desire to chop and dye my hair to something similar ever since. But then, my whole look would change drastically, and I don't know if that's something I want to do! :eek:

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Dottie I'm super busy till next week, but if you like I can do some virtuals for you when things settle down. You can email me a straight on pic with your hair pulled back off of your face~perhaps a side view as well.
scarlettrose@centurytel.net
Nikki

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
How short are you thinking of going? When I envision short, I think Audrey Hepburn short, from Roman Holiday. That is what my hair was about a year ago. I have a cute vintage-y picture of it. When I get home this evening I will put it up :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
150px-Grace_Kelly.JPG

Grace Kelly is another vintage era lady with a great hairstyle.
I've been seriously thinking of getting my hair this way as well, but with having it grown out so long, I'm still a bit freaked out of doing anything to it!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Miss Dottie said:
Fudge! I can't get on to that picture! And I bet it is super cute to boot!

Sorry, Dottie, I have had a hard time getting this pic up!! hopefully this wil work..
swirledCap.jpg

The instructions for doing this are on Nocturne.com.(that was the link i tried to post, but for some reason, I can't get it to work:rage:

Anyway,i saw an older lady, on the bus, as I said, with this look. I really wanted to ask her where she gets her hair done....but chickened out:eek:

KaitlynDawn

New in Town
olive bleu said:
Sorry, Dottie, I have had a hard time getting this pic up!! hopefully this wil work..

The instructions for doing this are on Nocturne.com.(that was the link i tried to post, but for some reason, I can't get it to work:rage:

Anyway,i saw an older lady, on the bus, as I said, with this look. I really wanted to ask her where she gets her hair done....but chickened out:eek:

I always see elderly ladies on the bus with fantastic hairstyles from days gone by. :) Even my grandmother's hair is still styled very similar to the way it was in the 50's.

Kaitlyn

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Okay I can offer up my two cents!

I've had every length of hair imaginable. Currently my hair is growing out from this cut:

l_94a16aff013187f9c1f46bb414e98e69.jpg

Pay no attention to the color. ;)

My hair now hangs just slightly above my shoulders. And may I say this is the easiest to style (vintage styles). My hair is one that rejects curls as is is ramrod straight. But with the shorter hair it tends to be more welcoming to the curl.

I can't wait to see what you decide!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ooo Pink, I liked your hair dark! (I like it now too!) I would've just suggested, (as a stylist) to darken your brows a smidge to go with it!

Trying to decide if I want to go dark, perhaps this fall.
Nikki

Kim_B

Practically Family
I just have to laugh how we as ladies cycle through hairstyles. It seems like every six months or so I'm itching to get a new 'do, so I get it cut short (like Pink's - wicked cute, btw!). By the time it's grown out a bit, I'm wishing it was longer, but then I get it all chopped off again. Now, I'm struggling with the color. My natural color is a dark ash blond. It was so drab and I'd never really had anything different so I went red (not a tame red, either).

I loved it (still do) but then had a desire to go back to blond (every one was commenting on how they missed my blond hair...what's a girl to do?!) so I'm in the process of lightening it shade-by-shade (dark blond, btw...not super light). The roots are taking really well, but it is going to take forever to get the rest of my hair back to blond. Now I'm wondering if I should go for more of a golden brown shade to combat the red tint that comes through. And you guessed it, after seeing Pink's short hair, I'm itching for a change ;) lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo