Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Theaters

Story

I'll Lock Up
Art Deco Theater in Anchorage

4th Avenue art deco theater gets life support

4TH AVENUE: Assembly votes to spend historic preservation funds.

By KYLE HOPKINS
Anchorage Daily News

Published: January 24, 2007
Last Modified: January 24, 2007 at 02:31 AM

The Anchorage Assembly voted Tuesday night to spend $250,000 in historic preservation money to help launch a proposed $5.4 million deal for the purchase and renovation of the 4th Avenue Theatre.

The Assembly's vote doesn't mean the theater plan -- which was put together by the city but recently tweaked to distance the municipality from actually running or owning the theater -- is a done deal.

"It's a lot closer, but there are no guarantees," Chris Schutte, spokesman for Anchorage Downtown Partnership, said earlier in the day.

The partnership is a nonprofit collaboration of downtown businesses. Under the current plan, it would in the end be the majority owner of a new corporation that would own the 60-year-old theater.

A big part of the deal is a loan from the Rasmuson Foundation. But the foundation's chief administrative officer, Jeff Clarke, told Assembly members that the proposal the foundation agreed to has now changed, and that the foundation will have to re-evaluate its role in the plan.

"As elements change, our willingness to participate ... is subject to change," he said.

The Assembly voted 9-2 to appropriate the money, which originally came in the form of a state historical preservation grant. Assemblymen Paul Bauer and Dan Sullivan voted no.

Sullivan said he wasn't convinced the partnership was ready for its new role and he questioned whether the theater would compete with private business, while Assemblyman Dan Coffey said the art deco theater was a good place to put the historic preservation money.

What else in this town is very historic? he said.

When the 4th Avenue Theatre plan was first announced, the city's goal was to close the deal by the end of March. Supporters, who see a risk-free chance to preserve the historic theater, and critics, who question why the city should get involved at all, have debated the plan for the past month.

Late Tuesday night, about 70 people sat in the Loussac Library as the Assembly began to hear public testimony on the theater deal. Most of the crowd raised their hands when asked who was in favor of the plan.

Malcolm Roberts, a senior fellow at the Institute of the North, read a statement from former Gov. Wally Hickel.

"Of all our architectural treasures, the 4th Avenue Theatre must not be lost," Hickel wrote.

Former state senator, and former Assemblywoman, Arliss Sturgulewski, called the theater deal an innovative plan.

"Cities are more than just concrete and steel," she said. "They're also heart and memories."

Anchorage resident Wayne Curley testified against the plan, citing a citywide vote last year in which a majority of voters defeated a measure that would have used city money to help buy the theater.

"I don't know what we're saving the 4th Avenue Theatre from. I haven't heard that anyone's going to demolish it," Curley said.

The building, purchased by current owner Robert Gottstein in 1991 for about $600,000, would generate cash as a venue for events such as parties, meetings and weddings. It would be marketed alongside the Egan Center and the under-construction Dena'ina Civic and Convention Center through a contract with the Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Parts of the theater could also be leased for commercial and even residential space.

Along with agreeing to spend the $250,000 on the theater deal, the Assembly also voted to accept and pass through a $600,000 contribution from Gottstein to the Anchorage Community Development Authority, to use for the 4th Avenue Theatre.

Those are just two pieces of a complicated and delicate financing plan.

All told, the $5.4 million deal ends with a limited liability company, controlled by the Downtown Partnership, owning the theater.

The money is expected to come from a mix of sources: A $2.6 million, low-interest loan from the Rasmuson Foundation, the $250,000 in historical preservation money from the city, the $600,000 contribution from theater owner Robert Gottstein and the proceeds from almost $2 million in tax credits handled by Wells Fargo.

Gottstein's contribution is, at least in part, part of the deal to raise the sale price of the theater and make the entire proposal eligible for more federal income tax credits.

Originally, the Assembly was also going to vote on whether to approve a purchase agreement between the theater's seller and the municipality. The municipality would have been the managing member of the company that owned the theater.

Now the deal is different. The Downtown Partnership announced Monday that it had agreed to take the city's place in the purchase agreement, and would now be the majority owner of the company that would own the theater.

The partnership is funded partly with assessment money, or taxes, collected from downtown property owners. The city also pays the partnership money in lieu of assessments that amounts to about $15,000 a year, Schutte said.

Schutte said no property assessment money would be used toward the theater deal.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
The Fox Theater

The Fox is one of the few places I enjoy visiting down town. The acoustics are great and there isn't a bad seat in the house, and plenty of parking close by. I've seen lots of movies and live shows there. I've also been to a wedding reception in the Egyptian Ball room. That's the place to have a reception.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
QuakerTheatre.jpg

This is the newly revealed Quaker Theatre in New Philadephia, OH, near my own hometown. All this, and I mean all of it, was entirely hidden behind later panels until month ago.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It has always remained a movie theatre. For years, it was a second-run $3 place with sticky floors and broken seats. Everyone knew to avoid the bathrooms. I don't know what upgrades are planned for the inside. The photo shows a mostly finished exterior.
The cool thing is that this was all made possible by the local cineplex, which pulled out of the mall two years ago. Now, the nearest large movie theatre is 30 miles away. So this little downtown theatre became the only game in town. First-run films now, at full ticket price.

It has always remained a movie theatre. For years, it was a second-run $3 place with sticky floors and broken seats. Everyone knew to avoid the bathrooms. I don't know what upgrades are planned for the inside. The photo shows a mostly finished exterior.
The cool thing is that this was all made possible by the local cineplex, which pulled out of the mall two years ago. Now, the nearest large movie theatre is 30 miles away. So this little downtown theatre became the only game in town. First-run films now, at full ticket price.

Capitalism argues that markets are driven by creative-destruction where the new / better / more efficient replace the older and less efficient. This seems a case of creative-destruction-recreation. As the movie industry is forced to consolidate in multiplexes owing to the improved technology for the home-viewing experience - which has destroyed many older, one-screen theaters - it seems to have also re-created an opportunity for some smaller theaters not close to a multiplex to get a second chance at life. That's great to see.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab

Attachments

• 47lolparade.jpg
    47lolparade.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I remember Stuart Smart who according to the above article, ran the movie theaters in Port Hope for 60 years, from 1917 to 1977. I know he kept going longer than that but can't swear that he was still manager when they closed in 1987. So we will just say, between sixty and seventy years on the same job.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
In October of last year, my friend and I learned of an old theatre in Downtown Troy, NY that was finally purchased from the city and available for lease. We envisioned bringing this theatre back to its former glory in the again bustling Historic Downtown. The American Theatre was built and opened in the early 1920s. In the '70s the building was purchased by Cinema Arts which showed adult films. In March of 2006, the Police raided the theatre and shut it down. The building has sat vacant since. Unfortunately our financial backing never worked out for us and we had to back out of all of our plans to reopen this beauty. Here are some of the photos I took during our walk through of the building with the owner.

If you would like to look at the rest of the photos I took, you can click here and you'll be brought to the album. http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/JonnyO4246/library/The American Theatre?sort=3&page=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo