Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Theaters

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Atomic Glee said:
The old theatre lobby *has* been beautifully restored, grand staircase and all, and is used for office space for a local architectural firm (the old office lobby has been restored and reused for offices as well, and the elevator lobby has been restored for use of the residents of the tower).

Can we see some shots of those too?

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Can we see some shots of those too?

I'll do my best! The lady who took the pics of the theatre ruins works for said architectural firm, so I'm sure I can pay her a visit and snap a couple of pics of the old lobby - and of course, the elevator lobby is doable, since I go through it every day. The office lobby I'll try to get a pic of, and I do have one small pic of it from back when the building was being restored. The original ornate ceiling was found intact, hidden by a generic dropped ceiling installed by the bank in the '70s:

ebceiling.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Fascinating shots! Thanks for for sharing them!

And I'm EXTREMELY impressed by the image of the main theater area that the "Mr. Contrast" filter pulled out of that drk shot. That's amazing!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Been a while, but I promised to get some more shots of the old Hollywood. Thus far, I have this - a quick shot through the doors of the old Hollywood lobby, now used as an office for a local architectural firm. The back part of the lobby is even more beautiful, and still features the old staircase to the balcony lobby - but I haven't had a chance to get back in there yet.

240958262_55db6e5dc3_b.jpg

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
And here are shots of our two operating theatres in downtown - both are fairly new, but very, very old-school style. There's the Sundance, which is all Art Deco-y, and built amongst several historic buildings on either side of it and a new highrise apartment building behind it (a bit of it can be seen in the back right - it's not the big glass tower in the back left, which is a condo tower):

179279131_db3e0fdcc8.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

and the Palace (on the left side of the first pic), which is done in the Streamline Moderne style and built alongside a Streamline Moderne Barnes & Noble/office building:

82200685_25c1169fc1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Downtown Fort Worth is an amazing success story of revitalization, and the place is absolutely PACKED with people, especially on the weekends. There are usually lines stretching down the block in front of both these theatres. Yes, that's right - our two downtown theatres have actually thrived in the face of competition from the big suburban megaplexes.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Twitch said:
The Crest In Long Beach was around a long time http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics34/00036923.jpg

Oh my God! That's the neighborhood theatre we always went to. But big theatres were already on the way out - Lakewood Center remodeled from one theatre into several in the 1970's. In the early-to-mid 70's, Cerritos Mall was built and with it, the first "multiplex" around. The Crest was already scheduled for demolition long before Cerritos opened. Across the street and down a bit from Russell's, which had the best burgers and potato salad in town. I understand, sadly, Russell's is gone as well. Not sure about Hamburger Henry's and Polly's Pies.

The last thing I saw at the Crest was Gone with the Wind in high school in 1977 - up on the big screen and they still had ushers. But the Crest was the theatre that had the Saturday kid's matinees we all flocked to. The Towne, about two blocks north, was newer and flashier, and right across from Bixby Knolls Shopping Center. But the Towne came down about the same time as the Crest. An office complex replaced the Towne, and a strip center replaced the Crest. I'm sure a few years later, there would've been a big outcry to save it and designate it as historic. I knew at the time I should've grabbed one or two of the short rows of seats (4-6 seats) - everything was just ripped out and thrown away.

Thanks for sharing the picture - brought back more than a few memories!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Really enjoying all these pics -- thanks, everyone, for sharing them!

Those of you who read Architectural Digest magazine might want to take a look back at the March 2006 issue -- there's a very nice illustrated article about the Rockland Strand (where I work), and its restoration. Some lovely interior shots too!!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
skillbilly said:
grandlake.jpg
This theater has been around since 1926 and has been beautifully restored. One of the theaters inside has an Egyptian theme with Hieroglyphics on the walls!

There is also the Paramount Theater which no longer shows movies, but still has show/concerts. It is stunning as well.

http://www.paramounttheatre.com/southext.html

Went there on New Year's Eve, saw Chronicles of Narnia. Best date I've been on.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Broadway Theater, Pitman NJ

Gala Marks Reopening of Historic NJ Theatre
by KYW’s Ed Kasuba

A “Bring Back Broadway" gala is being held in Pitman, NJ on Saturday to mark the reopening of the Broadway Theatre.

The 80-year-old former Vaudeville house closed a year and a half ago. It’s been restored to its former glory with a six-show subscription theatre season kicking off in January.

Artistic director Charles Gill says he first looked the place over five months ago:

“It was not in the best of condition, yet there was a certain heart that you could feel beating there. I stood center stage and looked out, and you could -- if you listened really carefully -- you could hear the applause and hear the laughter.”

Among those who appeared at the Broadway during its early days were Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Sally Rand. As recently as 20 years ago, Johnny Cash performed there.

Gill says the theatre still has its original pipe organ:

“We have one of the few three-eighths Kimball organs left -- it’s a theatrical organ that has all kinds of bells and whistles and birds. It’s amazing. It has several hundred pipes.”

The organ will be featured on October 29th when the silent film version of “Phantom of the Opera” will be featured at the Broadway.

More information at:
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/1014/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo