Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Themed Wedding or Events

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
I was just wondering if any of you have ever decided to have a vintage themed wedding. If so what did you do to really get the feel of the era you chose across? What did you wear? Are there any Big Band dances or parties where you live? I remember there was a resurgence of swing night at clubs in the 1990's and then it seemed to stop. I live near Houston and I don't ever see things like this any more. Have you ever put on a dance for the community or a big party? If so, did those who attend wear period clothes?
Post pictures please :)

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I went to a speakeasy themed birthday party last night. It was really fun. They bought long cigarette holders for all the women, played old vinyl, had a makeshift bar with classic drinks. There was one person there who gave a little dance lesson to everyone so everyone was dancing to the music. Everyone who attended at least made their best attempt at period clothing.
It wasn't a very big budget event or anything, but it worked out really well and was a lot of fun.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
We had a 1940s themed wedding.

We took our engagement photos at Los Angeles' art deco Union Station.
union2.jpg

While the church we got married in was built in 1960, the old church (built in 1910) is just across the street and now serves as the parish hall. This is where we took bridal party pictures.

_FSC5062.jpg

I wore a vintage tux, and the bride wore a vintage inspired gown. We hired a make-up and hair person to do era-specific looks for the bridesmaids. The groomsmen wore guayaberas, the traditional Mexican wedding shirt.

shapeimage_2.png
The reception was held at out local Veterans Memorial Building, built by the WPA in the '30s. As we are swing dancers, we had a gypsy swing band provide music.

Edward

Bartender
Looks great. I like the idea of a subtly done vintage take like that where it reflects the interests and personalities of the couple involved. I did once see pictures in the newspaper of a wedding that was a "1940s Theme wedding" where the groom wore a WW2 uniform (as did many of the guests), and the bride entered to a recording of an air raid siren..... seemed more fancy dress than theme to me (the equivalent of having a "fifties themed" wedding and everyone dressing as the cast of Grease or Happy Days) , but I suppose as long as the couple concerned enjoyed it, that's what mattered on the day. I don't really foresee getting married at this point, but I should imagine if I did there would be an element of vintage in there.

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
ginfizz, that's awesome, I wish I could go to one! I like the dance instructor allowing people to get more involved.
I love love love that idea resortes805! You made me want to post my engagement/ wedding pics! But for some reason it won't let me...

Mr Badger

Practically Family
We were the first-ever peeps to get married inside Sun Studio, Memphis, a friend of ours who worked there fixed it up...

17951_436353450470_725635470_10670144_5812741_n.jp  g

17951_436356605470_725635470_10670158_6580431_n.jp  g

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
Pics

eng.jpg
We had various historic places for our wedding pics but this was just at the park.
weddin.jpg

The groomsmen wore zoot suits with chain and the gals wore fingerless gloves and side feather 'hats' with dresses that were almost shorter and black versions of my wedding dress. The ceremony was outside where the reception took place which was an old bank built in 1909 or 1910 in the historic part of town. The peacock is my favorite bird and also period correct so I incorporated that into the decor.
comingou.jpg

For the reception, I changed my mantilla veil for a birdcage veil and shrug. I researched period flowers and bouquets and made all of the wedding parties bouquet's, corsages and boutonnieres myself.
overshoulder.jpg

My husband is a firefighter. There is a Fire Dept. right across the street from where the venue took place and they brought out their old ladder truck for us.
cake.jpg

I designed the wedding cake to have art deco embellishment's.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words, folks – Mizz Belladonna, your nuptials look spectacular! Ours were a mite more prosaic in nature! Some 22 friends and family came over for it, from as far away as Switzerland and Australia! And our friends in Memphis came out in force to make sure everyone had a wonderful time!

17951_436360030470_725635470_10670172_2343376_n.jpg

Been trying to post our wedding video but the Facebook embed code simply doesn't work... :(

Last edited:

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
Thank ya! It's all how much fun ya had! I didn't have anyone coming from over seas but I had bridesmaids from as far as LA fly out. Kinda makes you wish your closest friends and family would get together more often all at once. Then again for some, maybe not ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo