Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage thigh highs

Heather

Practically Family
I found these at the goodwill today and was wondering if someone could help me date them. Also, does anyone know how they're sizing used to work. One is a 10 1/2 and the other is a 10M. No idea if they'll fit me but couldn't pass them up! Thanks! :)
5ca0fa66db13382a239207919fd6145c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
The graphic design on the Berkshire box looks 1950s to me. I'm not an expert on stockings, but I've done enough study, as well as college work, on graphic design, which includes ads and package design. :) I'm wanting to say mid-50s based on the blue stocking design, and the B logo. 1960s graphic design had a strong focus on color and boldness.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The numeral is the foot size, not the shoe size, and is measured in inches. The M stands for medium length, which varied according to manufacturer. Stockings had to be sold in lengths as well as foot sizes because the fabric had little stretch. Some lengths are expressed as inches, generally between 31 and 37, or as short, medium, or long/tall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner