Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage USPS leather mail bags

robrinay

One Too Many
I've just discovered these and just wanted to say how well designed and beautiful they are. It's just a pity that originals cost so much on eBay and are usually 'cream crackered' (rhyming slang). The original manufacturers seemed to be Bucheimer, Bona Allen, Merit and Watts Mfg. There must be a market for authentic reproductions but I've not been able to find any? Quite a few artisans make bags based upon the design but all have 'improvements'. Does anyone know a maker of faithful reproductions? Also can anyone tell me more about the history of these bags. Apologies if this has been covered before in TFL but I searched and only came up with a 2009 ad in classifieds for a Watts Mfg prototype - interestingly there's one on eBay - could it be the same one?

Cheers
Rob
http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/robrinay/library/USPS satchel

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
I've added a couple of pictures (above) of a particularly nice example of a vintage mail satchel. I gave in trying to find a reasonably priced vintage original in good condition and I've bought a used Stickman Leather Post bag on eBay. Stickman bags are artisan made in the U.S. and their post bag is based on a 1930s original. There are videos of their bags on their website / also on YouTube. Also I think I'll make myself a good copy of an original in thick tan leather - I've sourced a pattern and the copper studs already. My daughter has booked us into a leather bag making course as my 62nd birthday present. Watch this space but don't hold your breath as the hand stitching will probably take me months to complete.

Last edited:

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Have fun on your journey. I recently bought a couple sides of leather and all the tools to start in myself. Al Stolhman has a great many books on leather working and probably the reference on stitching.

robrinay

One Too Many
Thank you for the tip - I'll certainly look up Stohlman. I've already made a leather duffel bag - based on a NATO military duffel, but with a zip to aid neat packing - the zip is a heavy duty separable Talon that came from a black label perfecto Schott long half belt that came apart in the wash. All other hardware came from eBay and a quality second hand lap top bag I bought cheaply from a charity shop - great quality fittings and much cheaper than buying new. I used my wife's sewing machine and it coped with the leather with a leather needle fitted. My seams got straighter as the work progressed.

http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/robrinay/library/Home-made Duffel bag

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider