Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Valentines...

ChristineSprig

New in Town
I thought I would drop in and ask if you ladies were going to make vintage valentines for your other halves...

Also, I am dreaming up a romantic vintage Valentine's Day excursion and was looking for ideas in the Southern California area. Any ideas for what sort of vintage-spirited dates I could surprise my wonderful husband with?

What are you lovely ladies planning?

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I'm making some pinup valentines cards for my (as yet unopened) online shop, they should be online soon - I'll probably handmake something similar for my boy though. We're not really into valentines but it's nice to make the effort! xx

Foofoogal

Banned
I have started sort of collecting vintage valentines. I keep them in a huge vintage velvet candy box. I have no idea why. I love the Googly eyed ones and the mechanical.

I so wish I had time to make some of my own. I used to love making the Valentine box in school to put each others in. Do they still do that anywhere?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
We decorated cereal boxes in elementary school; though I liked to make my Valentines from scratch (doilies, foil, red feathers, glitter...), there were a lot of sweet store-bought ones available. These days all I notice are boxes of branded Valentines - NASCAR (!?), pop stars, cartoon characters. How depressing.

I do have some lovely old Valentines from the 20s and 30s, with adorable graphics.

Normally I make a collage card for my husband, and we both make an over-the-top, huge card for our daughter. It's fun to find the ones from past years stashed around in the house.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Normally Paul and I buy goofy store cards that make us laugh but this year I am going to make some just because I think it will be a nice change.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I love making my own Valentines, and have been doing so for some time. Those pre-folded blank cards with envelopes from the craft store are a great short-cut. But, I need to get going if I want to have them all finished on time. ;)

Hobby Lobby carries a 12x12 scrapbook paper that is printed with a collage of vintage valentines and is rather sweet.

And like Foofoogal, I have also begun a small collection of actual vintage ones. I have 2 of my favorites up and framed for the holiday. I think my favorite is a little hula gal who moves her eyes when you wiggle her leg back and forth with the caption: "Shake a leg and be my Valentine!" Adorable!:D

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Last Valentine's Day my niece brought home her Valentines in a brown paper bag - like a lunch size one. They decorated it with stickers and markers. Not near as nice as the Valentine boxes we made when I was in school. Why is it that all the nice things I remember about being a kid are things that they don't do any more. Like they can't have any homemade treats - only pre-packaged ones.

BoPeep

Practically Family
I remember those valentine boxes!! Walking around the classroom stuffing little store-bought cards in everyone's box. Hoping nobody would notice that you put an extra heart on the cute boy's card!

Miss Dizzy Dame

Familiar Face
I love vintage valentines,I do pick some up here and there. I bough my BF a really cute 1950s one.
you know it would be fun to do a vintage valentine exchange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic