Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VintageGoth?

Tatum

Practically Family
Although I could definitely have been called goth/industrial in my late teens and early twenties, I truly think that my love of this stuff comes from growing up watching old movies and learning to dance with the records on my folks' old Victrola. I can still quote most of the old monster movies and Thin Man flicks!

I do love doing my hair vintage and then going out in jeans and a tank top (like tonight).

And that train photo is awesome! It really is amazing that no one is paying attention!

Woland

One of the Regulars
TheKitschGoth said:
Would love to hear some of your music

Bumping an old thread.
I got an e-mail advicing me to check out the blog of the current Minister of Education here in Norway.
The man is obviously (and of course) a huge fan of yours truly, and as it turned out; is providing a link to a Youtube-rip of the A-side of my first single (1983).
(Maybe I should sue him... :rolleyes:)

So; here it is (if anyones interested that is):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEzAKtLOhNI

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I got into vintage through goth, that's reasonable to say. I was a so called romantic goth, loved 18th and 19th century styles and tried to copy these in my goth attire, with corsets and all. I will dig out some photos when I get home. Actually, I would say that getting into goth really got me started with most things I love about life today. It certainly got me interested in history, in philosophy, make-up, dressing up, a deeper appreciation for music... :eek:

Earlier in this thread, Miss Neecerie jokingly denied being goth because that's such a goth thing to do. I denied it too because I didn't want to be categorized. I would never have called myself goth back then. It was so much more than that, it was a whole state of mind, way of life, outlook...

Nowadays, I love to make fun of how goth I was as a teenager. But still, looking back, I'm so proud of my goth teen-years. They were so much fun, dating hot young goth men and girls sometimes. The beauty of the goth-subculture here, back then anyway, was that it was so open-minded and accepting, you could be everything, in any way. Being goth was a conscious choice, I did something, I chose something, I chose myself and my life, in stead of just going with the flow and just being a follower. I'm still somewhat a goth deep inside, a huge drama queen with a bleak outlook on life, although as you get older, you get much more humour in your life and you get much less pompous and self-important. :)

I still looooooooove my black, though... ;) And I'm still part of the goth-subculture here in Copenhagen, although much less involved than earlier.

"I painted my turtle black. Am I spooky?" lol

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Its really rather simple, little Kiddies who where over exposed to the Munster's TV show ,and took them on as role models???

The-Munsters--C10056395.jpeg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
How intriguing! Please post your pics of yourself (and the hot young goth men tihi!).
Laura Chase said:
I got into vintage through goth, that's reasonable to say. I was a so called romantic goth, loved 18th and 19th century styles and tried to copy these in my goth attire, with corsets and all. I will dig out some photos when I get home. Actually, I would say that getting into goth really got me started with most things I love about life today. It certainly got me interested in history, in philosophy, make-up, dressing up, a deeper appreciation for music... :eek:

Earlier in this thread, Miss Neecerie jokingly denied being goth because that's such a goth thing to do. I denied it too because I didn't want to be categorized. I would never have called myself goth back then. It was so much more than that, it was a whole state of mind, way of life, outlook...

Nowadays, I love to make fun of how goth I was as a teenager. But still, looking back, I'm so proud of my goth teen-years. They were so much fun, dating hot young goth men and girls sometimes. The beauty of the goth-subculture here, back then anyway, was that it was so open-minded and accepting, you could be everything, in any way. Being goth was a conscious choice, I did something, I chose something, I chose myself and my life, in stead of just going with the flow and just being a follower. I'm still somewhat a goth deep inside, a huge drama queen with a bleak outlook on life, although as you get older, you get much more humour in your life and you get much less pompous and self-important. :)

I still looooooooove my black, though... ;) And I'm still part of the goth-subculture here in Copenhagen, although much less involved than earlier.

"I painted my turtle black. Am I spooky?" lol

Laura Chase

One Too Many
In the very goth spirit of navel-gazing, I'll let you see these very silly photos! lol I was 15-17 here, I think.

Realized this is 2002-2004, so that was before everyone carried digital cameras and before camera phones. I didn't even own a camera myself. So I actually only have a very few photos of my goth years! Too bad. Of course, I loved Neil Gaiman's Sandman, so I had to mimick Death. Later I even got a big ass ankh, because I was too goth for the small one. lol No photos off that, though.

Would love to see more goth-photos of all of you, though. :)

Perky goth:
3480037923_8da37a5366.jpg

Sandman Death goth:
3480845624_344f45a1c2.jpg

Don't ask me what-goth:
3480037621_2bc3d8648b.jpg

Dramatic, romantic goth:
3480845318_453b59c0d8.jpg

3480841674_6c13f86bb2.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Laura, I can tell you never had an ugly duckling faze, you had an angel face already as a teen!
3480841012_b711fd404f.jpg

These photos are great. I took some "artistic" photos as a teen too, if I told you about them you'd have a good laugh lol This is my fave:
Perky goth:
3480037923_8da37a5366.jpg

I used to get asked if I was all kinds of goth, which I'm not, but I often wore a white collared shirt, black dress pants, and loafers, and I guess that I struck people as that, but it was just my attempt at vintage during my 13 year old life.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have always been into things of a vintage nature for almost as long as I can remember, so I did not get into vintage through being goth. When I was a child everybody said I looked like Wednesday Adams (I had pale skin with two long black braids every day since K through 6th grade) I would actually never consider myself goth however. When I was growing up my mom and I would make light of death, we would never talk about it as if it were bad it is just a fact, which in a sense is kind of goth.

When I was in High School in the 80's I loved the Cure, Siouxie and Bauhaus. I was a new waver but would never admit it, most people that I run into now from high school say ah yeah you were the girl into punk - which was funny because I did not get into punk music until about the time I graduated (Loved Sex Pistols - still do and I loved Black Flag) but I don't think I ever looked punk.

The early 90's when I looked back a person could for sure say I looked goth even though I did not know there was a name for it.

Currently my persona is mostly vintage but I have a goth alter ego that rears its head every so often and I do love old cemetaries.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Woland said:
Bumping an old thread.
I got an e-mail advicing me to check out the blog of the current Minister of Education here in Norway.
The man is obviously (and of course) a huge fan of yours truly, and as it turned out; is providing a link to a Youtube-rip of the A-side of my first single (1983).
(Maybe I should sue him... :rolleyes:)

So; here it is (if anyones interested that is):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEzAKtLOhNI

Thanks W...I am currently playing your song on Myspace page!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Doran said:
Wow. I'll listen to Death in June and Current 93 with you ANY TIME.

Haha, man, you are soooo old! ;) Us kids in the 00's went to Wave-Gotik-Treffen and M'era Luna Festival and mostly listened to German industrial. Of course, many of my generation of goths got into it by listening to Marilyn Manson. Some 80's bands did were still current when I was a teen, like The Cure, and Dead Can Dance had a comeback too. Man, 80's goth bands are good.

Brooksie, you look soooo good! Remind me of Poppy Z. Brite, a very goth New Orleans writer I loved as a teen.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Laura Chase said:
Some 80's bands did were still current when I was a teen, like The Cure, and Dead Can Dance had a comeback too. Man, 80's goth bands are good.

Yes indeed. In the mid '80s, I was a semi-goth when the media clumsily pegged us as "New Romantics." In addition to Dead Can Dance, we listened to Clan of Xymox and Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, and went to downtown L.A. basement clubs: "Scream" was probably the best of 'em.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes indeed. In the mid '80s, I was a semi-goth when the media clumsily pegged us as "New Romantics." In addition to Dead Can Dance, we listened to Zymox and Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, and went to downtown L.A. basement clubs: "Scream" was probably the best of 'em.

Hah...

I shall spoil any chance of being thought tasteful...

But I am much more a Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim girl myself... ;)

I -only- got into more industrial goth stuff when I moved to England...where its all ooonz ooonz music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis