Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vionnet Label Re-launched

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
From the Wall Street Journal:

http://blogs.wsj.com/runway/2007/02/02/fw-vionnet/

(The photos are of the new clothes from Vionnet)

FB070202_vionnett2.jpg

One name generating a lot of buzz at fashion week is a dormant French label that hasn’t churned out a stitch of clothing in almost 70 years.

The Vionnet label, founded by the late Madeleine Vionnet in 1912 and shuttered in 1939 when the influential designer retired, is getting a glitzy relaunch today at a cocktail party at Barneys New York, which will carry the brand exclusively. The label — currently owned by the family of its chief executive, Arnaud de Lummen — hired Greek designer Sophia Kokosalaki last year to help revive the brand.
FB070202_vionnett3.jpg

The new line includes drapey silk evening gowns, pants, blouses and coats that retail from $1,800 to $14,400.

During her career, Ms. Vionnet dressed style icons such as Greta Garbo in her signature Grecian-style gowns. She is credited with creating the bias cut and popularizing the cowl- and halter-neck styles.

“Madame Vionnet was a master designer who left school when she was 11 and devoted her whole life to the craft of being a clothing designer,” says Ms. Gilhart, who calls the new collection “very couture-like but for ready-to-wear.”

Smuterella

One Too Many
jacqueline101 said:
I found a vintage dress a moment ago on ebay it was like marilyn monroes dress.

I've been hankering after the white pleated Marilyn style dress for a while but anything I seem to find on the net is a tacky imiation. Its either not pleated, totally see through or missing the bow. le sigh.

Tikismall

New in Town
Oh my goodness! I jumped when I saw this posting!
I LOVE Vionnet's designs, She invented the bias cut and was the first designer to create a dress which you could easily slip into and have the vision of movement and drapery.

She was a brillant designer for her times and also was a math wiz ;)
I am excited to see what beautiful gowns they re-create for the seasons.

If anyone hasn't noticed I am a total fashion nerd :D

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Hmm, a year of tuition for college or a dress...I think I'm going for the dress!:eek: :rolleyes: Sad they retail for so much, but they are a sight!

Mojito

One Too Many
Another Vionnet fan here, Tikismall - she was one of the greats. As you suggest, a truly original and innovative designer. I'm particularly fond of her twenties pieces, but you could also say that she really came into her own in the 30s, when the bias cut became a defining look of the decade. The gowns above make me think that the revival of her label might not be a bad idea!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Just ran across this pic.

salon-de-presentation-of-the-house-of-vionnet-at-50-avenue-montaigne-1929-vionnet-archives1-500x372.jpg

Salon de Présentation of the House of Vionnet at 50 avenue Montaigne, 1929

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy