Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vogue

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
They were playing "Where The Boys Are" on TCM the other day, and the amazing thing was how stylish these college kids still looked in 1960. Lots of porkpie hats and straw fedoras, Hollywood slacks, cocktail dresses to go out at night, jackets and ties, and Jim Hutton even wore a pith helmet. But all this was before t-shirts and ballcaps, the two items I think are the major downfall in the world of fashion, really for men or women.

Feraud

Bartender
After reading these replies I conclude that any magazine (or website) catering to our lifestyle will be inherently mature in tone and context. This is certainly the case with The Fedora Lounge. I am not saying there is no humor around here. We have our share of joksters! My overall sense of what occurs here is that of mature men & women (of all ages) sharing what is important to them. The younger members also contribute to this. The 20 year olds say things to make me think they are 40! That is a good thing. I am not sure if they are following the good example we "older folks" are trying to set or if they bring it themselves. Either way is good for business. ;)
Any men's magazine that Fedora Lounge members would find acceptable should follow the tone of this site.

Most magazines (men & women) do the exact opposite! They embarrassingly harp on youth like there is no tomorrow! How to dress like you are 20. How to talk, play video games, extreme sports, "bling" your car, have sex, a full head of hair, etc.. It makes me cringe to type the words. I have no objection to a youthful attitude but it should come with a sense of balance. People today lack perspective and guidance to the true "finer things in life".

MK said:
They still don't get it. Most guys are not interested in skinny, unshaved gay looking Italian models.....unless you're gay. Unfortunately men's publications aim at seedy, low brow or health nuts. We don't have anything for the regular guy.
But I don't mean that in a bad way! ( Comedian Dom Irearra)

Baron Kurtz said:
What we really need is a fashion magazine that encourages men to buy second hand. Get over the squeamishness and societal looking down upon shopping in Goodwill etc. For some reason, a man being forced to buy a suit that he'll wear maybe once a year is prepared to pay HUNDREDS of dollars for some crappy polyester abomination. He could've got that (deadstock) in Goodwill, & saved a pile o' money. Gents, we're a society of money-wasters. The magazines are there not to educate us; simply to make us spend more - preferably on credit. This, by the way, would be the title of my magazine: "Buy Second Hand, Save Money, then go on Holiday Wearing Your Purchases" (catchy, no?) ... Brooks Brothers and all their ilk would (rightly) be out of business within a year of launching. ... bk
Perhaps not the main theme, but definately articles on searching out vintage and vintage style. Second hand Rose, they call me second hand Rose!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
(hope you guys don't mind me peeking in here), you guys should send them some of your pictures of all of you dressed in your best attire....we've got some very handsome blokes in here;) ..that do fit the 'manly man' status.
Interesting though that guys have the same complaints that women do with magazines....90% of them are ads of mostly things I could care less about, there's always an article on how to drive your man wild in bed, and the models they use look like they're bordering on anorexia.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i haven't seen men's vogue so i'm guessing it isn't available in the UK. though you can buy the french and italian editions.
but i can't see the point of buying it anyway. suppose i actually saw something i liked in there....i wouldn't be able to afford it. (i once saw a herringbone knit cardigan in a magazine and went to ralph lauren to take a look. i was younger and naive then. it was £600)

In case anyone missed it the first time around, this seems like a good thread in which to repeat the masthead I had dreamt up for my fictional magazine:

'A Gentleman Should Always Be Dressed As Though He Were Going To End Up In A Place Far More Interesting Than The One He Just Left'
I live by this creed.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Senator Jack said:
In case anyone missed it the first time around, this seems like a good thread in which to repeat the masthead I had dreamt up for my fictional magazine:

'A Gentleman Should Always Be Dressed As Though He Were Going To End Up In A Place Far More Interesting Than The One He Just Left'
I live by this creed.

Walk around in tails much? lol ;)

Regards,

J

Mycroft

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:

I live by this creed.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Yea, I am with you on that mate. Anyhow, I mean we have all these issues with GQ etc. What would you all want in a magaizne (lists), or should I start a new threat for this puppy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR