Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanna see a BUNCH of Akubra's ? ....

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
.... I was over at some freinds last night and they had just gotten DVD's of a Tv series that has been on Australian TV the past few years called "McCleod's Daughters" and it seemed that there was at least 2 Akubra's in each scene !! (my freinds wife is from Adalade and she liked the series :) ) here's a still I found on the web of the cast and all the series is now available on DVD. Some of the members from down under probably know of this series I'm sure.

mcleod20820-20widescreen1.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
.... I was over at some freinds last night and they had just gotten DVD's of a Tv series that has been on Australian TV the past few years called "McCleod's Daughters" and it seemed that there was at least 2 Akubra's in each scene !! (my freinds wife is from Adalade and she liked the series :) ) here's a still I found on the web of the cast and all the series is now available on DVD. Some of the members from down under probably know of this series I'm sure.

mcleod20820-20widescreen1.jpg
I've seen that show. TV and film producers seem to want their characters to wear hats, for more character. Seems to me that wide-brimmed Akubras are great hats for full sun, especiallly for oppressive sun. And for wide-open spaces.

theinterchange

One Too Many
You should have titled this "Wanna see a BUNCH of GIRLS in Akubras?"! ;)

Interesting, I may have to check it out... strictly to see a bunch of... Akubras. :D

Randy

P.S For those with Netflix, the show is available there for both DVD and Instant. [probably a show I'd stick in my instant queue as a "I don't want to waste a dvd selection on this in case it's a dud, so I'll watch it on demand when I want to try it" thing... though it's AKUBRAS on Australian girls/women! haha]

Last edited:

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Yup, they are running re-runs of this series in Finland as well. If only the show was more to my liking, I'd certainly watch it more. From what I've seen, the cast members really like their hats and personalise them properly. They even get old and worn as the show continues, instead of remaining shiny and perky from season to season.

Neophyte

Would someone identify the model names of the hats worn by the man with black shirt in the center and the woman in red shirt just to the left of him. Thanks.

The man's hat is almost certainly one of the Snowy River series, I'm betting it's a Stockman in Santone Fawn

The woman's hat looks very similar in shape to an Angler, although I can't really tell from here if it has a ribbon or belt. It also seems like the front pinch has been tightened a little. Akubra has several hats that share the same crown shape as the Angler, so it may be one of those [huh].

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Don't know if you could really tell from that pic....

Would someone identify the model names of the hats worn by the man with black shirt in the center and the woman in red shirt just to the left of him. Thanks.
.... just WHAT model each is wearing as they ALL look to have beeen personalized and well worn !! After watching 4 episodes I can say the charecters wear the SAME hat when they wear it from episode to episode. :)

Gromulus

Practically Family
From the David Morgan website:

Which Akubras were worn in the Australian television program McLeod's Daughters?
A variety of well weathered and slightly altered Akubras grace pretty much the entire cast over the eight seasons and more than 200 episodes. The Cattleman and Banjo Paterson are two hats which have appeared repeatedly.
McLeod's Daughters

Neophyte

Ok then, so the man in the black shirt has a Stockman in Santone, and the woman to his left has a hat with the same crown style as the Banjo Paterson. This could be one of several hats, but I can't tell if it's a ribbon or leather band on her hat from this pic.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
OK , what are these?...

From the David Morgan website:

Which Akubras were worn in the Australian television program McLeod's Daughters?
A variety of well weathered and slightly altered Akubras grace pretty much the entire cast over the eight seasons and more than 200 episodes. The Cattleman and Banjo Paterson are two hats which have appeared repeatedly.

Daughters_060822094935377_wideweb__300x37511.jpg

McLeod's Daughters

so what would these two be wearing?

Neophyte

This picture doesn't have enough detail to tell. The one on the right is in Sand, but I've never seen the color of the one on the left before...The one on the left reminds me of the Jackaroo without a bound brim, and the one on the right reminds me of a Tablelands or Kiandra with a tame brim...We need better shots.

One pic I found on the internet is either a Coolabah in Black, or another hat with the trademark Coolabah croc band. You don't see many other hats with that kind of croc treatment. The same hat is pictured here

In this pic, I'm almost certain the woman is wearing what could be a Snowy River with the pinch pushed out. This looks to be the same hat from a different angle.

Does anyone else see a Mid-Grey Snowy River here? Here's the one from DM for reference: Snowy River

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
We're going about this the wrong way, you know. Someone ought to contact Akubra and ask if they can tell us what hats were provided for the show.

Randy

P.S a quick refresher look at the Kiandra makes me think that's what the right hat is.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The color on the left is the same as my 30 yo Nulabor Tan bushman after LOT'S of wear, sun, rain etc. But since it's an un-bound brim, who knows :) 'Fraid we have to get ahold of the costumer's notes for the series to tell :) But they sure do look GOOD on the ladies, wore out or not :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24