Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Want a clean hat?

shortbow

Practically Family
Just a tip from the peanut gallery.

I recently succumbed to a tv advert and bought a Swiffer Duster, a seemingly ersatz plastic thingy for dusting stuff around the house that surprisingly works quite well, especially on delicate doodads and electronics.

Anyhow, it occurred to me for some reason to try it on a hat, and it works great. Best hat brush I ever ran across in fact.

Just a head's:p up for your neat freaks out there.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pics? of a swiffer duster? Google can give you that.

My wife loves that thing. But I have never tried it on my hats. Maybe I will have to give it a go this week on cleaning day.

Thanks for the tip.

Johnny

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
No concerns that there might be something (chemical) in the Swiffter that could harm or discolor a felt hat? Just ask'n, cause I don't know. Either way, that was a gutzy move.

Doggy Darb

New in Town
Humans can come into regular contact with PG. Reports of toxic reactions in humans are low except for a few studies where the quantities consumed were absurd. You would need to drink gallons of PG before it reaches a toxic level. Moreover, there would be other health concerns relating to consuming that much of anything in the brief period of time required to reach toxicity. It is digestible. It is the base material in most "gel" or roll on deodorants. Also, it is an extremely common component of pharmaceuticals and food products. I would not be concerned about trace amounts reaching my scalp. That chemical is applied to my underarms everyday. I've been handling PG in an industrial environment for years with out even experiencing dermatitis. It has been in my eyes, nose, mouth, open wounds, and I have been drenched in it. It doesn't even smell bad. Sometimes people get confused because it sounds chemically similar to ethylene glycol, which is good old fashioned anti-freeze.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
As a "newbie" to Fedoras, I am worried about maintaining my hats. I don't have a hat rack or even a box for any of them. The three that I own are currently sitting on a shelf in my closet. I really want to get a box for all of them or a rack, but I'll have to save up some money for that.

I have been looking for a good hat brush to clean off a lot of dust and lint that has recently gathered on one of my Fedoras. I also recently purchased a previously worn Lee Trinity and it was in near perfect shape when I got it last week, however after only a few days of wearing it in the streets of NYC and at my rather dusty job, it has gathered plenty of dust and lint on the brim.
So that hat brush is going to have to be purchased soon.

I also recently saw a few moths flying around my girlfriend's apartment and now am paranoid I will get moth bites in my hats! :rage:

I was on Baron's web site and they sell a care kit that I am seriously considering buying. Problem is, I want so many of their hat care products that the cost certainly adds up.

I would love to learn how to use steam to keep my brims sharp, and envy those hat owners who have places to hang their hats!
Right now it is just a shelf in a closet for my babies. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24