Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

War and Peace. Anyone going?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just behind the fence next to the main entrance into the event. There are with the Hurricane and Mk IX Spitfire, so should be easy to spot.

Saw this but no one about when I got there, or leaving, though it was raining a bit. What is the story behind the aircraft? The Hurricane looked like a mock up, a rather good one I may add or is it real and partly in restoration? A real Spit flew over about 1pm did some nice passes for us.
A fair show, a bit expensive for a family with grown up kids but a lot to see, you really need 2 days to look around and go around the stalls. The rain stayed fairly light, just having to hide under gazebo for no more than a minute.
I saw a couple of nice Irvins at £800, a few really manky A2s in small size that looked incredibly dryed out. Lots of repro A2s from very bad to very good and a couple of Luftwaffe originals(maybe). Bargain would have been a nice older Eastman Luft at £250(with a deal£? ) in horse and in a big size. Anyone wanting a summer crusher, a guy near Eastman has some of Diamond Daves(John Chapman?) quite a bit cheaper and very nice.
Yes some real dodgy pro Nazi T shirts whom were not doing a roaring trade, to be honest I saw no one wearing one. And as for rather dubious reenactors I saw no Black and Tans either.
As for the Fascists weren't the Mosleys involved in Formula 1 motor racing at some point? See, we all have our rather unsavoury skeletons not always hiding in cupboards.
Tomorrow(Sat) is the last day so anyone going have a great day.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Both a/c are replicas. The Hurricane represents Bob Stanford Tuck's mount from 257 Squadron and the Mk IX Spitfire, Johnnie Johnson's.
Very realistic all the same. I thought they might have been the old gate guardians from Biggin Hill though I have not been past Biggin since 1981.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
As for the Fascists weren't the Mosleys involved in Formula 1 motor racing at some point?
Tomorrow(Sat) is the last day so anyone going have a great day.

Max Mosley is the son of Oswald Mosley. There was a complex defamation case involving him a few years back.

Thanks for the reassurance that the fascist thing is only a fringe element - it does sound like an interesting event.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Max Mosley is the son of Oswald Mosley. There was a complex defamation case involving him a few years back.

Thanks for the reassurance that the fascist thing is only a fringe element - it does sound like an interesting event.
You don't get many, fact is I have never seen anyone re enacting the Fascists thing, only the full on SS though not the black uniformed style other than tank corps, nor any Gestapo(think Herr Flick ).
Other styles missing would be the Condors from the Spanish Cilvil war or even the Franco's Spanish, and personally I have not seen any Italian though I did see one of those feathery hats on a stall.
The Spanish today appear to be getting rid of all things from the Franco era. Almost every statue has been removed and people don't like to talk about that era as I learnt from personal experience describing my motorcycle tour through Spain. There is a movement to have his remains removed from the Valle de los Caídos(Valley of the Fallen), but every year on November 20th Fascists from all over Spain and in fact all over the world gather at this monument to celebrate their hero as well as José Primo de Rivera, another of Franco's cronies/
I visited simply because it is there and to be honest Franco willed his remains to be interred in Madrid rather than at Los Caídos.
There are extremist at every event, at scooter events it is racist skinheads, Rockers that still hate mods, really just angry old men haha and a few older Teds that hate rockerbilly's. At War & Peace its the same thing just in different clothes.
Enjoy your trip if you go this year or next. J.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Talking about different clothes: At a big 'Biker' event today & heard at least one comment regarding my clothing (I wear vintage / vintage inspired stuff pretty much all of the time other than when I have to wear sportswear sometimes for work). Just as well I wasn't sat on my Scooter :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy