Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wardrobe Collections - When to say when?

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I love clothes, not just vintage...all of them. I have a full closet and four free standing dress racks as well has four large plastic totes of accessories and five 12-18 pair shoe racks, all full, plus some.

Last week one of my racks broke and I had to take everything off it to fix and for some reason counted the dress on this rack. There were 70 dresses.

Ever since then I have been feeling very guilty about having so very many clothes. I mentioned it to a woman the other night who said, "oh sell them on consignment!" I was horrified thinking, "But my collection, I love it."

What makes you go "TOO much", and how do you decide what to get rid of?

Drappa

One Too Many
Ooh, interesting topic. Well, I never think it's too much, but my husband does... :D
I am currently trying to get rid of some things (especially non-vintage clothes) just to make space and because I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the amount. There are tons of things I never wear, but always think I may wear it again one day, or it may fit me again some day, so I have started to sell some because I realised that by the time they may fit me I can just get a replacement if I wish. I know full well that by then there will be other items I want, and to be honest I haven't missed anything I've sold or given to charity yet.
We have 7 wardrobes/walk-in closets in this house, 6 are mine and one is hubby's.One is entirely dedicated to skirts, more than one to outerwear and handbags, and I also have an entire rack full of belts, so when I look at new belts my husband usually stops me in my tracks right away. There are rubbermaid containers under the beds and I sometimes just look at it all and think about how ridiculous it is.
I have been quite good lately in disposing of things, and wearing vintage has made me realise I don't need all that many items, as long as I love all the ones I have and have things to match and occasions to wear them to. I don't need tons of evening dresses, because we don't go to events where they would be appropriate all that much.
So, I try to get rid of things I don't love, things that don't fit, or things that aren't my style anymore. It also helps to think that other people who receive them may really love what you don't wear.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I've done the same - usually when I've run out of space!

I go through everything, and am brutally honest with myself. Does it fit well? Does it suit me? Do I love it? Does it go with other things I have? Does it need mending or altering? When did I last wear it? Do I pass over it in favour of other things when I'm getting ready? Do I have another similar item, and if so, which do I prefer? I also apply a few of these questions to things I'm looking at buying, which helps keep the amount down in the first place.

A few things I keep despite my strict criteria perhaps due to the rarity of the item. I've done a few fairs with a friend to sell our excess and I honestly don't miss anything that I've sold and I've gained money back in the process. Making the decision to let it go is the hard part, believe me. After that it comes much easier.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
We have 7 wardrobes/walk-in closets in this house, 6 are mine and one is hubby's.One is entirely dedicated to skirts, more than one to outerwear and handbags, and I also have an entire rack full of belts, so when I look at new belts my husband usually stops me in my tracks right away. There are rubbermaid containers under the beds and I sometimes just look at it all and think about how ridiculous it is.

Good heavens!!!!! And I thought I had plenty of clothes! I think I might just show this to my husband so he can see that I'm not all that bad with my three humble (yet bursting) wardrobes!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Hehe! I think I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum! I *don't* like having a lot of clothes. If I have too many I will try everything on before I decide I will wear the thing I had on in the first place lol This happened to me when I was sewing up a storm a few years ago.

I have absolutely no problems throwing old clothes into a bag and sending them off to Goodwill. I will also deconstruct a dress that no longer fits me or has become ragged with no doubts in my mind -- that's a uselful zipper or buttons there! I guess it's my "gift" :D

Tatum

Practically Family
Wow, this has been on my mind a lot lately, funny that Barbigirl starts a thread on it...

While I am still working on getting more vintage into my wardrobe, I have noticed that I have a lot of RTW that I don't wear. I did a big purge late last summer, but it still feels like I should get rid of half of my RTW stuff. I have a large cedar chest, two armoires and a trunk closet full of clothes (vintage and RTW). I guess my biggest thing is that I want to get rid of the things that I don't feel lovely in, but I have to replace them first. It's hard here in Florida, as it gets so hot and humid that sometimes all you want to wear is a pair of ratty old boxers and a tank top!

I need to find about five good summer dress patterns so I can have something nicer to lounge around or garden in...

Drappa

One Too Many
Good heavens!!!!! And I thought I had plenty of clothes! I think I might just show this to my husband so he can see that I'm not all that bad with my three humble (yet bursting) wardrobes!

:D Haha, yes, feel free to use this post to impress hubby and stop his nagging! I don't quite know anyone who is as ridiculous as me, except for maybe Mariah Carey...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I reached the saturation point the day I moved into this house -- there is only one functional closet (working-class people in 1911 had very small wardrobes). So eleven years ago I had a gigantic purge of stuff I was tired of, or that didn't fit, or that I didn't have space for. There were a few items I got rid of because they were too *big* -- and I've been kicking myself ever since, because I suspect those items have gotten smaller in the years since, and would fit fine now. There was a maroon gabardine suit from about 1941 that I was the prize idiot of all time for getting rid of. I only hope whoever has it now is enjoying it.

Moral of the story: purge all you want, but be realistic about it.

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
Ive just had a mahooosive purge of my wardrobes. In my old place I had two wardrobes, a rail, chest of drawers and a box or two. I have been moving house today (almost done!!) and in my mans place he has space for one wardrobe for me.
I think the worst part is being banned from having *ahem* 60-70 pair of shoes as they wont fit in the flat. That is unless I take up all the storage space LOL. Logically I know I don't need that many shoes, but every time he mentions sorting them out I never want to give them up. must do it by tomorrow tho. :(

Marla

A-List Customer
When to stop: when you either run out of money or closet space. I've yet to run out, but I did get rid of most of my RTW clothes to make room for more vintage.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I go through everything, and am brutally honest with myself. Does it fit well? Does it suit me? Do I love it? Does it go with other things I have? Does it need mending or altering? When did I last wear it? Do I pass over it in favour of other things when I'm getting ready? Do I have another similar item, and if so, which do I prefer? I also apply a few of these questions to things I'm looking at buying, which helps keep the amount down in the first place.

A few things I keep despite my strict criteria perhaps due to the rarity of the item. I've done a few fairs with a friend to sell our excess and I honestly don't miss anything that I've sold and I've gained money back in the process. Making the decision to let it go is the hard part, believe me. After that it comes much easier.

This is exactly the mindset I've had in the last few years as well. Sometimes I think of things I sold that were really neat vintage pieces that no longer fit but I've never really missed any of it. I'm glad I have photos of me wearing them at the time, and that's good enough for me :)
Unfortunately we are rather running out of space. Both husband and myself are vintage lovers and collectors (and a bit pack rat-y), so we sporadically go though and get rid of things.
I do horde fabric, though. I have lots and lots of fabric. Which will someday turn in to lots and lots of clothes we don't have room for ;)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Hello Ladies,
It is good to see everyone and some new faces. Thanks for your input and ideas. I think I need to start with trying every single thing on. I have garments starting form late 30s for every decade. I probably have 20 evening gowns and cocktail attire. There really is a lot I just don't need and I need to get over the "I might want it someday." Perhaps often I am thinking "I'll save it for my daughters" (who are both into vintage) but it isn't like they have a ton of room or items fit them quite right.

Recently, I did get rid of a bag of contemporary clothing I never wear so it is a start.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Barbi, that's it. You have to look at what you do wear. Personally, I go to alot of functions that require evening dress, so having 15 or so long evening gowns is ok for me, but it's different for everyone.

I don't buy alot of cotton house dresses precisely because I don't often wear them much, which probably sounds odd to some people, but it's what works for me.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I'm starting to feel like I have quite a collection now, but I'm nowhere near some of you ladies by the sounds of it! :D I just have one closet (bursting) and a big chest of drawers, and two suitcases packed full of out-of-season clothes.

I've recently learned how to get rid of stuff! I used to be a terrible hoarder and always though "this might come in handy" or "I might want to wear that next year"... I've realised it's quite a nice and liberating feeling to get rid of stuff you don't need or use. Although, the stuff I've got rid of so far hasn't been vintage! I do have at least four vintage dresses that don't fit, and I'm certainly not going to get rid of them... I'm still hoping they will fit again one day! :pray:

Lily Powers

Practically Family
When I think of the pure joy and glee that some of us get when we find that very special vintage garment online or in a shop, then I realize that the ones I'm hoarding and are no longer wearing for whatever reason, should go on to someone who will enjoy them. No need to hang on to them. Sometimes the letting go is difficult (for whatever human emotion/fraility it is that makes me feel "close" to my clothes even if I haven't worn them in a year), but then the being free of them, so to speak, is really a good feeling.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I've always been a minimalist when it comes to my wardrobe and practically speaking, my space is limited, and I work in a casual office, although I prefer to look nice. I use Tim Gunn's 10 Essentials as my guide, As my modern clothes wear out, I'm replacing them with pieces I'm making from my growing vintage sewing pattern collection, repros, or vintage inspired modern patterns using the best fabric I can afford.

rue

After reading this, I don't feel quite so alone. I have one walk-in closet that is completely filled with everyday clothes, purses and shoes and 6 wardrobe boxes full of clothes in the basement that are filled with all my dressier clothes and a few couture things that are either waiting to be handed over to my daughter or are waiting for me to have the occasion to wear them. I couldn't part with any of them.

The walk-in on the other hand gets raided every year to see what fits, what doesn't and what is simply worn out and unfixable. My biggest issue is purses and shoes and my mother feeds it every Christmas and birthday, so it's out of control :rolleyes:

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
I have half a small walk-in closet and four drawers. However, I don't own any clothes that are actually vintage, and I'm working on replacing my RTW with my own sewn clothing. I go through my entire wardrobe twice a year and check fit, fade, damage, etc. Minor damage gets repaired (buttons, small patches, hems, etc.). Anything that doesn't fit, or that I just don't like anymore, but is still good goes to charity. If it's faded too much for work, it goes into the "play clothes" drawer. Anything too damaged for "play clothes" gets ragged or thrown away. I no longer have the patience to own clothing that doesn't fit, look good, and make me happy.

Now, if I have to count my re-enactment clothing... *ahem*

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Oh cool, now I don't feel so guilty about my two closets and three chests of drawers :D

Like a lot of you, it seems, I'm pretty heartless when it comes to RTW. Really, most of my RTW and 60s/70s retro (my personal "vintage cut-off" is 50s) gets traded at my local consignment store very fast to bring in more vintage or even the occasional repro piece. So long as I can afford it, I'll keep going 'til I positively run out of room, haha. I rotate my clothes seasonally, which helps with room. Right now all my wool and other winter clothes are tightly packed in boxes in the stairway closet.

I understand the arguments against hoarding all the good stuff- I read articles about celebrities who have entire warehouses full of vintage clothes and I can't help get a little indignant. I mean, you couldn't possibly appreciate everything if you have that much!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
It is interesting Barbgirl used the word "collection" (it was while searching the word that I came to this thread). There are any number of web sites about collection that have a lot of good advise. One great one is Unclutterer that has a regular newsletter that I find very useful.

The other aspect is the closet issue. There are web sites on closet organisation that also have a lot of advice. You might find with more efficient storage methods you take up less room.

Just some thoughts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy