Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WARNING! Controversial poll ahead,...

Creation or evolution?

• Creation? Divine Design?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Evolution? Accidental design?

• A combination of both ideas?

• No opinion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Samsa

Maj.Nick Danger said:
According to Webster's:
Theory n. Supposition put forward to explain something; speculation; exposition of general principles as distinct from practice and execution; (Coloquial) general idea; notion

Opinion n. judgement or belief; estimation; formal statement by an expert

The point I was trying to make was that the theory, (speculation) of evolution was taught to us in school with absolutely no mention of any possible creative force or intelligence behind it. It was taught more as an opinion, (belief) to our young minds as a kind of dogma! We simply had no choice whatsoever but to believe it, or fail "science" class.

The fact that science classes make no mention of a creative force behind evolution, to me, is simply a way of saying "we are not competent to discusss whether or not God exists. That's up to you." Evolution seems dogmatic at times because it's the only rational *scientific* theory to explain the diversity of life on our little rock. I think that believing in ID is perfectly reasonable. But at the same time, it is not a purely scientific theory. It involves more than one discipline (namely science and theology). One can't do research to prove or disprove ID; there's no way to test it. That's why I don't think it should be taught side by side with evolution.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Samsa said:
The fact that science classes make no mention of a creative force behind evolution, to me, is simply a way of saying "we are not competent to discusss whether or not God exists. That's up to you." Evolution seems dogmatic at times because it's the only rational *scientific* theory to explain the diversity of life on our little rock. I think that believing in ID is perfectly reasonable. But at the same time, it is not a purely scientific theory. It involves more than one discipline (namely science and theology). One can't do research to prove or disprove ID; there's no way to test it. That's why I don't think it should be taught side by side with evolution.

Perhaps so. I think very few teachers would be qualified. I was always inquisitive enough, and lucky enough to have delved a bit deeper into it. I fear a lot of kids today may not have the intellectual curiosity to do likewise.
Evolution, or the adaptation of species to their changing environment is a readily observable phenomenon in the natural world, but it is not an absolute explanation for the origin of life.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Perhaps so. I think very few teachers would be qualified. I was always inquisitive enough, and lucky enough to have delved a bit deeper into it. I fear a lot of kids today may not have the intellectual curiosity to do likewise.
Evolution, or the adaptation of species to their changing environment is a readily observable phenomenon in the natural world, but it is not an absolute explanation for the origin of life.

It's not an explanation for the origin of life at all. Evolution as a theory is about tracking the path that life has made over time and what caused it to take that path. The origin of life is a totally different theory, just how the origin of matter is different theory than that. Abiogenisis is a fascinating subject. I remember reading about a experiment that created conditions similar to four-billion year old earth, and what do you know, a bunch of funny organic molecules were synthesized that are common with all living things. Not evolution at all. Evolution could be another origin tale, the origin of mankind, and that's why people get more worked up over it than these other theories. Darwin didn't even concieve of Abiogensis. To me, and this is only my personal opinion, is that people are always looking for ways to seperate themselves from the rest of the universe. Saying that millions of years ago we had an ancestor that also gave rise to the chimpanzee is a tough pill to swallow for alot of people. It's too bad. I can live an enriching human life knowing that me, my parents, and everyone I know and love came from million-year old scavenging primates.

Briscoeteque said:
Saying that millions of years ago we had an ancestor that also gave rise to the chimpanzee is a tough pill to swallow for alot of people. It's too bad. I can live an enriching human life knowing that me, my parents, and everyone I know and love came from million-year old scavenging primates.

Let's see, do I want to think that I was descended from a monkey or made in the image of God? Hmmmm.......:rolleyes: :eusa_doh:
I am with Linc, devolution is going on. I see more men that are best classified as monkeys rather than men. :p

Regards,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
The Devolution of the Species is happening before our very eyes. Some people say that others are just two or three generations standing up straight, I think that some are just two or three generations from swinging from a tree.:eek:

Section10

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
The Devolution of the Species is happening before our very eyes. Some people say that others are just two or three generations standing up straight, I think that some are just two or three generations from swinging from a tree.:eek:

Sounds pretty credible to me. We're told there must have been a time long ago when humans were supposedly too primitive and ignorant to believe in a god and then they finally advanced far enough to develop a concept of the supernatural. How come if they keep on advancing, the god concept is supposed to fade away and then they will be just like they were in the ancient past when men were too ignorant to comprehend a god. That's evolution? lol lol :)

Lincsong said:

I saw a couple swinging on a tree today in fact. They are apes, lets face it.:rage: They can't wear pants right, they can't speak English correctly, they treat women horribly, they don't have any manners or morals and they even smell like a zoo cage. What else can you call them besides devolved monkey/humans? You can see the same type of behavior in the jungle. :eusa_doh: Come to think of it, they may even be worse than monkeys in the jungle. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Benny Holiday said:
Which couldn't be any worse than what their notion of music is . . . lol

Don't laugh. I've seen some of these devolved human/monkeys using the gutter as a latrine already. :eek: :rage:
Music?! Kinda makes sense. Monkeys beat on hollow logs in the jungle don't they? "It's all about the bass that shakes people's houses man." :rage: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

P.S. You are doing a good job of making my point for me by the way. Look around tomorrow and see the monkeys among us.:eek:

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
I'm not a monkey.
But I take no offense to being called an ape. No tail, you see.

Like Darwin, I went to seminary. It turned me into an athiestic evolutionist. Mama's don't let your future-missionary kids grow up to go to seminary.

Glad I was changed before I gould go inflict my unbased opinions upon others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara