Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch straps: leather or metal?

lthr

New in Town
I prefer leather, and if it has to be metal, titanium seems okay. But I still don't particularly like wearing it. I prefer leather. It feels better.

How about y'all?

Talbot

One Too Many
Depends on the watch and circumstance I guess. I wear leather with dress watch and vintage, metal bracelets for sport and active wear.

I have recently tried a Nato strap when a metal bracelet failed and was surprised how comfortable it was. The look took a bit of getting used to however.

lthr

New in Town
Depends on the watch and circumstance I guess. I wear leather with dress watch and vintage, metal bracelets for sport and active wear.

I have recently tried a Nato strap when a metal bracelet failed and was surprised how comfortable it was. The look took a bit of getting used to however.

Ugh, really not a fan of Nato straps, at least the looks. Besides, most of them have really ugly lines like those on sport clothing, or at least that's what I see people wearing anyway. Same goes for belts, but at least they match them. :D

Suppose the nice and smooth material is quite comfortable though. Never tried one myself, that would require to actually buy it and I'm not willing to spend money on pure curiosity.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Not a fan of most metal bands. I have a whole collection of leather straps made for me by Daluca straps and I frequently change the straps depending on my mood. I switch between vintage leathers, different colors, shell cordovan, etc... great way to get a lot of mileage from your watches.

I do like Nato bands, extremely comfortable.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
As a day long wearer of watches, I have noticed that leather bands tend to rot, unfortunately. I personally prefer bracelet watchbands, as these are comfortable, and are easy to put on, as they are stretchy! :D

Edward

Bartender
Metal for general wear, leather for dress occasions. I too find the leather straps can rot quickly if worn daily. I rather like the expanding metal braclet type.

cicftaiwan

New in Town
Leather for me. Metal is too irritating both to yhe skin and the hair on your arm. Everyone I know wearing metal has a bald spot on their wrist.

^^that's funny.
I have metal on mine, although I'm looking into a perforated leather strap for my Omega to mix it up.

lthr

New in Town
General comment: seems like leather is a bit of a bad choice due to easy rot. Something to consider I guess, especially if you're sweaty a lot for whatever reason. Haven't thought about that, so it's an interesting point for me.

Leather for me. Metal is too irritating both to yhe skin and the hair on your arm. Everyone I know wearing metal has a bald spot on their wrist.

I wonder how do they not feel their hair pulled, I do, which is probably the main reason why I dislike metal bracelets.

Metal for general wear, leather for dress occasions. I too find the leather straps can rot quickly if worn daily. I rather like the expanding metal braclet type.

I'm curious, why metal?

Edward

Bartender
Partly aesthetics, partly durability. Given daily wear, no leather strap will last more than a year with me. That is, no leather strap that wasn't an extortionate price.... Some straps I've seen would have cost me more than the watch did. I'm sure they're great, but....

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Apart from a 1930's repro watch, with leather strap, I rarely wear a wrist watch. My Grandfather's pocket watch, a Hunter, still gives good service. Grandad was presented with his watch, by his parents, when he joined the Police Force, not sure exactly, but before WW1.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I prefer leather as it gives me the opportunity to change the character and look of my watches on the fly, whereas most metal options are limited to only one or two potential straps. See below the straps I use on this particular watch, depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing...

IMG_5261.JPG

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Why? Considering most comments about it rotting and such... Which is what I'll assume most people's reason for metal then.

I prefer the look and feel of leather over metal, and I like to match them to my shoes. I've never experienced any rotting.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I prefer the look and feel of leather over metal, and I like to match them to my shoes. I've never experienced any rotting.

Same here. Maybe the leather that some of you here have seen rotting away was simply rotten to start with. lol

P.S.: Good ones don't have to cost much. I get mine for $5-15 depending on the type of leather. Calf with a natural grain is the cheapest I use and my favorite, together with lizard.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo