Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waxed International Fabreeze removal?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Hey all,
I recently picked up a Barbour International A7, the McQeen trials coat! It is massively cool, and I found a nice and generous size 50 that lets me wear it over any riding gear I like. From the minimal armored shirt up to a full on leather Vanson it covers it all!
Only issue is the Ebay seller gave it a fabreezing before sending it on it's way. It wasn't hosed down too badly, but I really dislike the smell.
My first measure was to turn it inside out, spray with vinegar, and air it out hung out on the fire escape while still inside out. No real change. I was surprised.
It's waxed cotton so I can't really use soap or water thats not cold. My next plan was turn it inside out and dunk it in a cold bath, then let it air again, outside in the wind.
I figured someone on here might have a good solution to stripping the fabreeze from the liner without stripping the wax.
If it comes down too it, I'll deal with the smell rather than de-wax the jacket.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
That is a tough one. I googled Fabreze and it seems like that perfume is very difficult to get rid of. People report multiple washings in hot water, baking soda, vinegar, with no luck. And you have waxed fabric to boot. Even stripping the wax may not work. I would try ozone if you have access to ozone generator. Otherwise try airing it out for a long time.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I had a feeling...
Maybe over the summer I can hang it in direct sunlight for a bit.
You said you did some googling? What is IN that stuff??

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Just some very persistent perfume. People on the net generally hate it, but some people actually use it. I am a chemist, so I like digging into that stuff a bit. One woman had some luck with a detegent called Calgon, but it was a hot water wash which would destroy your wax.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Whelp, I suppose I'll run a few trials on removal ideas and repirt here. Might make for some entertaining reading.

Just some very persistent perfume. People on the net generally hate it, but some people actually use it. I am a chemist, so I like digging into that stuff a bit. One woman had some luck with a detegent called Calgon, but it was a hot water wash which would destroy your wax.
I have learned the hard way to now ask before I purchase an item on line...."has this garment been exposed to Febreze?" If the answer is yes then I don't move forward. I cannot stand the smell...would rather have the B/O, or smoke or mildew than the smell of Febreze. At least with the other smells I have a decent shot of getting rid of them......Febreze not so much.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I'm going to start doing the same.

But meanwhile I'm going to try hitting it with vinegar rinsing it in the cold shower, another vinegar spray, and then hanging it to drip dry.

All right, well vinegared, cold rinsed, and revinegared. Dripping overnight and we'll see what the morning brings.

Last edited:
I tried a spray called Ozium which smelled pretty strong at first, but covered over the musty stench of an old bag and then dissipated in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to start doing the same.

But meanwhile I'm going to try hitting it with vinegar rinsing it in the cold shower, another vinegar spray, and then hanging it to drip dry.

All right, well vinegared, cold rinsed, and revinegared. Dripping overnight and we'll see what the morning brings.
For very tough odours I have had success using a practice borrowed from the costumers in the theatre and film business. A spritz bottle of dilute vodka. Buy the cheap stuff and give it multiple generous spritzing with the vodka. I would even consider not diluting it. Might be worth a shot. Keep some to either celebrate or commiserate.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I don't have any vodka in the apartment, but after that jacket had hung in the shower for a bit, I went in and could still smell the perfume.

So right now it's out on the fire escape getting snowed on, and in the morning it switches over to rain. It's hovering around 33 degrees so I can't imagine the wax is going anywhere, and it's supposed to snow and sleet through tomorrow. If it's still perfumy I'll pick up some everclear and spray it down with that tomorrow.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
1E23C37D-7D12-49F4-9DDB-DC616EF56CC9.jpeg

I don't want to jinx it, but pulling it back inside it's deffinitly.... Definatly... Definetly... It's better than it was.

Edward

Bartender
I really like the smell of Febreze, oddly. It has of course a lot of positive associations with stage costumes, but it calls to mind for me nothing so much as the dining room of the house we lived in in the early eighties, and how that room smelled around Christmas when the tree was up in there.

I'd expect it will be a hard one to shit, though - given that it's design purpose is itself to shit other persistent smells. It does dissipate with time, though, in my experience.

Modified_last_call

Familiar Face
I was just down this road with a Schott flight jacket that came in reeking of smoke with a Febreze chaser.
Short story, the most effective solution in this case was an ionizer.
You can buy them pretty reasonably on Amazon

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was just down this road with a Schott flight jacket that came in reeking of smoke with a Febreze chaser.
I fully agree. Good old o3. Oxidizes smelly molecules quicker than o2 in the ambient air.

Peacoat

Bartender
An ionizer or an ozone generator? I have the ozone generator, and it worked a treat getting rid of the smoke smell of a minor kitchen fire. Not really sure what an ionizer is

I really like the smell of Febreze, oddly. It has of course a lot of positive associations with stage costumes, but it calls to mind for me nothing so much as the dining room of the house we lived in in the early eighties, and how that room smelled around Christmas when the tree was up in there.

I'd expect it will be a hard one to shit, though - given that it's design purpose is itself to shit other persistent smells. It does dissipate with time, though, in my experience.
The costumers that I know won't use Febreze, preferring vodka, as many performers can't abide the odour so the costumers avoid the polarizing effect of it. And on a bad day you can't drink the Febreze!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner