Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waxed Leather Jackets

dannyk

One Too Many
I like rough out, grime and all. My favorite boots I've had since high school are rough out Boulets and they look great! I use a stiff brush and water to clean em.
I had a pair of RW Muleskinner Rouh-out Iron Rangers. Well I still do, but they got relegated to the trash boots I wear in crap weather or doing yard work. I destroyed them and its my own stupid fault ha. They way I sit at work I had a section on each boot that rubbed them completely away. No nap of any kind left in two huge sections. I would rub the one boot against the carpet under my desk and the other boot would sit on top of that boot. Its actually kind of funny. Next time I get rough-out boots though I will be hyper aware of how Im sitting as to not have them looking great, then looking at them 6 months later and saying wtf! ha

toomanynotenough

New in Town
I had a pair of RW Muleskinner Rouh-out Iron Rangers. Well I still do, but they got relegated to the trash boots I wear in crap weather or doing yard work. I destroyed them and its my own stupid fault ha. They way I sit at work I had a section on each boot that rubbed them completely away. No nap of any kind left in two huge sections. I would rub the one boot against the carpet under my desk and the other boot would sit on top of that boot. Its actually kind of funny. Next time I get rough-out boots though I will be hyper aware of how Im sitting as to not have them looking great, then looking at them 6 months later and saying wtf! ha
Here's an average photo of my Schott 370. Roughout steerhide. I like the look of it for a pretty casual jacket, a dressed up Jeremiah Johnson look. Definitely not dressy.
It was stiff so i put it in the clothes dryer on spin no heat and wears a lot easier now.

Attachments

• 20200822_212635.jpg
    20200822_212635.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,829

toomanynotenough

New in Town

North_Star

One of the Regulars
I have seen these before and i like but its too close to my Aero HWM in oil pull-up and i have too many other styles to get first. :rolleyes:
And i am working on an order for a button up work coat in a more traditional brown veg/chrome tan. Otherwise i would be interested.

What size just out of interest? :)

It is size S, fits 175cm tall person with about 102cm chest, normal body type

phelan77

New in Town
View attachment 266980 View attachment 266980 View attachment 266980 View attachment 266980 View attachment 266980 View attachment 266980
Stumbled across this Satchel & Page Montgomery Type 2 trucker and it is listed as being British waxed leather. It looks gorgeous.
Does anyone have experience with waxed leather jackets? I know waxed leather is popular in boots but i have not seen or heard much waxed leather in jackets.

Again the jacket looks fantastic.

https://www.satchel-page.com/products/montgomery?variant=31799235477636
Reminds me of my wax goat suede jacket that I got recently. Slim fit trucker style jacket. Bought it at Massimo Dutti during their summer sale (last piece) for $120. Cotton lining making it suitable for warmer weather. I certainly wouldn't pay $600++ for a wax suede jacket though.

Attachments

• 20200827_140228.jpg
    20200827_140228.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,536
Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. Anyone have any first hand experience with this jacket?

I ordered one, and it arrived yesterday. Fit is fantastic, materials I'm less enthusiastic about. Not compared to other jackets that I've spoiled myself on, it's just not in that league.

The leather is not bad, and while I'm biased to favor heavy, stiff leather, this is very different from what I usually go for, but I think it's good quality leather. Well, suede. I don't notice that it feels particularly waxy, though. It is thin, supple, with a soft hand, and drapes easily. Not a lot of nap to it, it looks and feels almost like velvet, like the top of a tiramisu cake.

I just wish it was an ounce heavier. Their model photos show it being worn for motorcycling, and that's laughable. I mean, you could, but you could also ride in a t-shirt and flip flops. Just don't crash. Label says it's calf, and I wish they would have let the little guy grow up before taking his hide and turning it into a jacket. If I could change one thing, I'd make it from true full-grain rough-out leather. Two things, I'd upgrade the fabric they chose for the lining. That said, loungers who appreciate lighter weight suede might love this stuff. I have a Large, and it weighs just under 4.25 lbs. It feels like a light windbreaker.

I don't see any problems with the stitching, which is actually pretty well done. I think the thread is polyester or nylon, as one of the exposed thread tips on the cuff appears to be melted, which makes it hard and it scratches my wrist. But all the stitching is precise, and looks good.

The lining is nothing special, though. Brown cotton.

Overall, I think this would be a decent jacket at a $350-400 USD price point, but like @ton312 was saying above, probably not worth the $625 I spent. I'd say it's comparable to some of the Chinese jackets I've seen, like Cidu or Pineal Jet, which you can typically expect to pay about $300 for. Those are not bad for the price you pay, but not in the league of Aero, Lost Worlds, Thedi.

It seems they had a lot of pre-orders, and did 3 rounds of pre-ordering, upping the price to $645 on the last round.

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
I ordered one, and it arrived yesterday. Fit is fantastic, materials I'm less enthusiastic about. Not compared to other jackets that I've spoiled myself on, it's just not in that league.

The leather is not bad, and while I'm biased to favor heavy, stiff leather, this is very different from what I usually go for, but I think it's good quality leather. I don't notice that it feels particularly waxy, though. It is thin, supple, with a soft hand, and drapes easily. Not a lot of nap to it, it looks and feels almost like velvet, like the top of a tiramisu cake.

I just wish it was an ounce heavier. Their model photos show it being worn for motorcycling, and that's laughable. I mean, you could, but you could also ride in a t-shirt and flip flops. Just don't crash. Label says it's calf, and I wish they would have let the little guy grow up before taking his hide and turning it into a jacket. That said, loungers who appreciate lighter weight suede might love this stuff. I have a Large, and it weighs just under 4.25 lbs. It feels like a light windbreaker.

I don't see problems with the stitching, which is actually pretty well done. I think the thread is polyester or nylon, as one of the exposed thread tips on the cuff appears to be melted, which makes it hard and it scratches my wrist. But all the stitching is precise, and looks good.

Overall, I think this would be a decent jacket at a $350-400 USD price point, but like @ton312 was saying above, probably not worth the $625 I spent. It seems they had a lot of pre-orders, and did 3 rounds of pre-ordering, upping the price to $645 on the last round.
Pictures?

dannyk

One Too Many
I'm not very happy with my camera setup or lighting right now, but here's a few bad cell phone photos.
I’ll take them! Haha. But for real just to get an idea and a general sense of the things you mentioned is nice. Thanks!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Different kind of waxed leather than what you've been talking about, but Schott has a waxed leather line they've done a few jackets with, kind of a mid weight, shiny cowhide. I've got the 519. Was kind of on the fence with it for a while. Fit a little too straight and long for me, so one day not too long ago was like wtf, lets dunk it, give it some dryer heat and sunshine and see what happens. I need to correct a couple zipper waves with a heavy book and some water, but loved how this transformed. Took the gloss off of it and replaced with beautiful grain. Feels like it's 30 years broken in now. Was a bright sunny day when I took these, so it's more subdued and lots of depth in regular light. (btw, the blue specs are from this old tarp I had nearby and was windy kicking up the flakes)

oh38rL3.jpg

Y6SbPwa.jpg
w01bIkZ.jpg
nDVExom.jpg
BUMvNEH.jpg

Jamesmeh

New in Town
So, i had a exchanged email with Satchel and Page. Please let me know if I'm breaking any rules (my first post here)

My email:
"
Hi there,

I am interested in purchasing the jacket but I have one question about the leather. May I ask the source of the tannery and what the actual leather is? E.g. is it a split hide that is the shaved layer from the leather or an actual top grain leather that is backward?

I tried to find more detail in your website and instagram but I could only find that it is British waxed leather.

Thanks for your help,"

Reply:
"
Hi...

The leather is the backside of top grain.
Unfortunately, we're not able to share our tanneries.

Best"

I ordered for 3rd pre order from Australia. Wish me luck and please let me know about future better alternatives for leathet jacket.

Jamesmeh

New in Town

The leather is not bad, and while I'm biased to favor heavy, stiff leather, this is very different from what I usually go for, but I think it's good quality leather. Well, suede. I don't notice that it feels particularly waxy, though. It is thin, supple, with a soft hand, and drapes easily. Not a lot of nap to it, it looks and feels almost like velvet, like the top of a tiramisu cake.

I just wish it was an ounce heavier. Their model photos show it being worn for motorcycling, and that's laughable. I mean, you could, but you could also ride in a t-shirt and flip flops. Just don't crash. Label says it's calf, and I wish they would have let the little guy grow up before taking his hide and turning it into a jacket. If I could change one thing, I'd make it from true full-grain rough-out leather. Two things, I'd upgrade the fabric they chose for the lining. That said, loungers who appreciate lighter weight suede might love this stuff. I have a Large, and it weighs just under 4.25 lbs. It feels like a light windbreaker.

I don't see any problems with the stitching, which is actually pretty well done. I think the thread is polyester or nylon, as one of the exposed thread tips on the cuff appears to be melted, which makes it hard and it scratches my wrist. But all the stitching is precise, and looks good.

Overall, I think this would be a decent jacket at a $350-400 USD price point, but like @ton312 was saying above, probably not worth the $625 I spent. I'd say it's comparable to some of the Chinese jackets I've seen, like Cidu or Pineal Jet, which you can typically expect to pay about $300 for. Those are not bad for the price you pay, but not in the league of Aero, Lost Worlds, Thedi.

It seems they had a lot of pre-orders, and did 3 rounds of pre-ordering, upping the price to $645 on the last round.
Thank you so much for your review. I've ordered mine and I cannot wait to see and feel the jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21