Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wear My Vintage Hats in the Rain?

KBGummy

New in Town
I've had my Royal Stetson for 2 weeks. I don't know how old it is but it was in mint condition from eBay. I bought it for the purpose of keeping my head dry. It's been raining for a week and I can't get myself to wear it outside. What's wrong with me?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Theres nothing wrong with you. New hats, or rather, hats that are new to you are difficult to subject to abuse, especially compared to hats that are 'less new.' When I get a 'new' hat, whether its new or new-to-me, I baby it for a while before Im comfortable subjecting it to the elements. Youll get over it. How much time that takes is up to you.:hat:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had my Royal Stetson for 2 weeks. I don't know how old it is but it was in mint condition from eBay. I bought it for the purpose of keeping my head dry. It's been raining for a week and I can't get myself to wear it outside. What's wrong with me?

One potential problem with wearing an Open Road-type hat in the rain is that you might get a wavy brim, which for me occasions a trip to the local hat man. That problem doesn't arise in most of the other hats I have, whose brims are thicker than the OR.

You need a beater = one not in mint condition that you can wear in that type of weather with no worries...

KBGummy

New in Town
Theres nothing wrong with you. New hats, or rather, hats that are new to you are difficult to subject to abuse, especially compared to hats that are 'less new.' When I get a 'new' hat, whether its new or new-to-me, I baby it for a while before Im comfortable subjecting it to the elements. Youll get over it. How much time that takes is up to you.:hat:

Initially, it was the whole vintage vs modern Stetson that had me worried if mine would hold up in the rain. However, you are probably right that the hat being 'new' to me that is still holding me back.

KBGummy

New in Town
You need a beater = one not in mint condition that you can wear in that type of weather with no worries...

I was actually thinking of getting a second one which would be my beater. Seems like Akubra is a favorite here and I've been waiting for one in the classifieds. Thanks!

KBGummy

New in Town
Size 60...

Been waiting for a Glen Grey CD on the classifieds. I saw one sold a few weeks before I signed up here. I actually started out by looking for a Fed IV but eventually realized the CD meets more of my everyday requirements.

Size 60...

Been waiting for a Glen Grey CD on the classifieds. I saw one sold a few weeks before I signed up here. I actually started out by looking for a Fed IV but eventually realized the CD meets more of my everyday requirements.

You should be able to get an old Resistol Open Road clone for cheap. Your color choices are Silver Belly or Silver Belly but different from Akubra's Silver Belly. I have an old one that is a 7 5/8 originally but shrank. I'll let it go cheap plus shipping....

KBGummy

New in Town
BTW, there are a couple of vintage OR/CD types in my size on the classifieds but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because they may be better off with a collector than with me since my primary purpose for now is to use it rather than preserve it.

BTW, there are a couple of vintage OR/CD types in my size on the classifieds but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because they may be better off with a collector than with me since my primary purpose for now is to use it rather than preserve it.

Yep, most of those are too nice for beater duties. Send me a PM with email & I'll get you a photo or 2 of what I have. It is okay for a serviceable rain hat = beater for sweating in the yard but no heirloom you'll feel bad about trashing...if you're interested...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou