Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a Fedora

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Is fedora-wearing coming back into style? I've seen a lot of celebrities and one or two kids (my age, 16-18) wearing them. I was wondering if you people thought I'd look too weird wearing my fedora since I'm 17.--It's a gray Bogart esque fedora. Do you wear yours outside or casually?

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Dare to be the one who brings back the hat

FedoraFan112390 said:
I was wondering if you people thought I'd look too weird wearing my fedora since I'm 17.
Nah,
no one here would think a 17 year old in a fedora looked weird. People out there in the real world might though. But they think we all look weird. It's not an age thing it's a hat thing, there are jut not as many hat wearers in the world today.

If you like the look then go for it. My Six year old wears a grey lancer (akubra) which is more of a trilby, but he carries it off, no reason you shouldn't do the same.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
nah- it's all good. No one gives me weird looks. If you're comfortable and own the look, people will see that, and treat you accordingly.

MAB1

Suspended
Quit caring what other's think. In most cases they're thinking," Nice Hat! Wish I had the balls to wear one." :D

Selentino

One of the Regulars
I started wearing fedoras when I was 17. I used to wait until the old man went to work and wear his Stetson. But this was in Philadelphia in the 70's and all of us wanted to dress like young gentlemen. I see more and more young people wearing them today and I think they look great. Besides who cares what others think have some fun?

Mr. John Smith

New in Town
Go for it

I got my first fedora at 17. Black, nothing special, but I loved it (and it went with everything). Caught a lot of flak for it, got a lot of compliments. But it always seemed...right. So if it's who you are, or who you think you are, then try it. You can always look like everyone else tomorrow. ;)

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Young man in a hat

Thought I'd throw in a photo of a Young Man in a hat (and my son too)

JnElids.JPG

The boy tends to pull his down at the front so much that I'm amazed he can see when he walks. But it's his hat so he can wear it however he likes.

If people ask about the hat he tells them he's Indiana Jones on an Plane, which shows how pervasive those movies are because he's never seen any of them.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I agree with what everyone else here has said. Plus there's often good, practical reasons for wearing a hat. When everyone else is suffering from the sun or drenched with the rain, you'll be the one that is comfortable - and has some style too.

If you do catch any flak, let me reassure you that with every passing year, if you are made of good stuff, that will matter less and less until you end up valuing your own opinion most, plus that of a select few. You can laugh off the rest.

I don't know if it's me or just changing times, but I used to get the "hey Indy" or "hey cowboy!" type of comments etc. but now, about the only thing I hear is the occasional "nice hat!" I got that twice today. Good to hear.

Oh yeah...welcome to the lounge, FedoraFan! Good to see you here.

- Bill

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
"If you do catch any flak, let me reassure you that with every passing year, if you are made of good stuff, that will matter less and less until you end up valuing your own opinion most, plus that of a select few. You can laugh off the rest."

Hey Woodfluter
I couldn't agree more!

MattJH

One Too Many
I live in Philadelphia, PA and, no exaggeration at all, I see men and women of all ages wearing fedoras on a daily basis. Not everyone, obviously, but it's a very rare occasion where I don't see one, if not more, throughout the day. And I'm not talking about pinstriped, cotton, over-stingied fedoras from the mall, either. I'm talking about the real deal. It's really no thing at all. The other day I wore my Maclachlan with a white t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. They go with anything. I pay absolutely no attention to high-fashion men's magazines. I just go with what I think looks and feels right for myself, just like with any other article of clothing, you know? That's the only rule that matters.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
They're getting more and more common in parts of California. I've worn a fedora frequently since I was about sixteen, and far more people like it than don't. There's nothing weird about it.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw's right I was born and raised in philadelphia. Great hat town!
Philliy people love their fashion. I was back for a month last year and was sad to find my favorite hat store had closed. I had to settle for going to South Philly and buying some suits. My son is 12 and sometimes wears a Dobbs black stingy brim and everyone loves it.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
FedoraFan112390 said:
Is fedora-wearing coming back into style? I've seen a lot of celebrities and one or two kids (my age, 16-18) wearing them. I was wondering if you people thought I'd look too weird wearing my fedora since I'm 17.--It's a gray Bogart esque fedora. Do you wear yours outside or casually?

The next time you're out and about, look around. Then decide who looks "weird"; the kid in the classy fedora or the kid in baggy shorts and sloppy T-shirt. Remember, "weird" is a two-way street:You look weird to them, they look weird to you. Case closed. lol

Enjoy being who you are. ;)

Lee

IsabellaPrice

New in Town
FedoraFan112390 said:

Frank Sinatra wore fedoras as early as age twelve.

I don't think it would look weird in the least bit. :)

RJJ

New in Town
MrNewportCustom said:
The next time you're out and about, look around. Then decide who looks "weird"; the kid in the classy fedora or the kid in baggy shorts and sloppy T-shirt. Remember, "weird" is a two-way street:You look weird to them, they look weird to you. Case closed. lol

Enjoy being who you are. ;)

Lee

Well said.
I had this expirence this after as a matter of fact. Went to Walmart to pick up a few items I needed. I decided to wear my new IJ style Fedora. Got in line to pay for my stuff and I turned around to look at the kid (19ish) behind me because I thought I heard him talking about my lid. He just looked at me with this 'you look stupid in that hat look'. Well let me describe this person a little. He had at least 5 rings in his eyebrow, 2 rings in his lower lip, and several in one ear. His pants looked they were to big for me and he had a mohawk. It was really all I could do to keep my mouth shut.

Frankly I'll take looking out of place, BUT classy in my lid to looking like I slept to close to a tackle box any day.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Piercings en general

RJJ said:
Frankly I'll take looking out of place, BUT classy in my lid to looking like I slept to close to a tackle box any day.

Not only is that funny... that's going straight into the quote box!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap lol lol

Magus

Practically Family
FedoraFan112390 said:

If you happen to have the Yahoo homepage....with the sports entertainment addon...as I do. You will see Justin Timberlake. Not that I am a fan...but I do know that he is thought of as stylish to many age groups including yours. He is playing golf...in a straw fedora (stingy / Sinatra-ish style) so your concerns about it seeming weird I think may be unfounded. In fact...your coolness factor might just go up a notch or two.

Keep wearin 'em

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
FedoraFan112390 said:

The more young people wearing fedoras the better for all of us since it's generally the teenage generation that brings about changes in attitudes to fashion.So don't just wear your fedora with pride try to get as many of your peers to wear them as well it's all to the good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80