Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding dress restoration

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I have my mothers 1956 wedding dress that I was finally able to obtain from her, a year ago:eusa_clap I will get around to posting a picture here..

Mom never had it professionally cleaned and boxed as todays modern brides do, therefore it followed her all rolled up and kep't in a bottom dresser drawer, amazingly enough, I don't know how it survived all those years with no tears, holes or major issues other than some yellowing here and there and, of course a nice musty vintagey smell that we all know and love when we encounter such on our vintage prowls. All by itself, the dress weighs about 8 lbs, 7 ft train, 110 circumferance (took a hoop petti under i'm sure):eek::) This was no store bought frock! mom had it custom made by a lovely italian seamstress, based on a magazine picture my mom had saved before she ever knew she'd even marry.. my late Daddy boasted so, about how he paid $500 CASH for the dress.. sigh...swoon! that was alot of moola in the day! and of course, he first saw it at the church, the look on his face in the color home movie footage of their wedding day, said it all.. swoon again!!

So, how would I go about getting this wedding gown cleaned & preseved? I don't feel walking into a regular ole dry cleaner would work as i'd soon rather keep it folded up (which in itself was a monumental task) and in a cedar chest.

I would however trust the nice little italian seamstress with it?, it is afterall a ooak and, imho, the most gorgeous dress evah!!

Do chime in with your thoughts!

The lady in waiting;)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Oooh how exciting! I don't have too many tips to offer but I'm sure the other ladies here will be of great assistance to you. Please do post photos when you can - we'd all love to see it!

Just one quick question - can someone please tell me what ooak means? I have seen it on some vintage sites - and also what does VLV mean? I've tried to Google these to no avail!

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Can't wait to see a photo of it....my mom was married in 1952 and I wish she had kept her dress.

JeanandWesweddingphoto4.jpg

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Oooh how exciting! I don't have too many tips to offer but I'm sure the other ladies here will be of great assistance to you. Please do post photos when you can - we'd all love to see it!

Just one quick question - can someone please tell me what ooak means? I have seen it on some vintage sites - and also what does VLV mean? I've tried to Google these to no avail!

Miss Golightly, I scratched my head over that for a long time and only recently learned that ooak means One Of A Kind. VLV means Viva Las Vegas.

Shopgirl, what a great treasure. I don't have any tips other than speak with several reputable cleaners and ask about the solvents they use and heir experience with vintage fabrics.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
This didn't scan quite as clear as I had hoped, but here it is!
396666963.jpg
Her crown & veil was the 'something borrowed' from her older sister and, my mother did not like it and said the one they had ordered did not arrive in time.
also (not visable in the picture) the neckline to bust on the gown was a sheer lace.

Last edited:

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
My Daddy, Alberto. we all thought he looked alot like Ricky Ricardo ;)
396667008.jpg

The getaway car was a '56 Bel Air and salmon pink in colour!

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
Shopgirl61,
You could go into a higher end bridal shop (or call) and ask for recommendations for a cleaner/restorer. I'm sure they would be able to point you in the right direction.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Miss Golightly, I scratched my head over that for a long time and only recently learned that ooak means One Of A Kind. VLV means Viva Las Vegas.

Shopgirl, what a great treasure. I don't have any tips other than speak with several reputable cleaners and ask about the solvents they use and heir experience with vintage fabrics.

sorry about the shorthand ladies, a habit i picked up on a forum 9 yrs ago:eusa_doh:

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I'm going to BUMP this topic for the mere fact that today, 5/13 my mother and beloved daddy (rip 9-30-10) welcomed me into the world 50 yrs ago back and, back on that day the pediatrician had the audacity to ask if they would "accept me".. to which, as mother told me many times, daddy responded; "of course, she's my daughter"! :eusa_clap

Foregoing specific details which, a few of you already know;) I'll say this, my father took on a monumental task which given the era.. I could have been handed off to an institution to spare them the agonies that followed.
I'm damm proud to own this gown and look forward to bringing her back to life.

Sonia:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner