Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wedding favor ideas?

Glitterbox

New in Town
hi everyone,

We're having a 1930-40's themed wedding next summer and are absolutely stumped on wedding favors. We want something unique, theme related and something inexpensive... of course. I thought this might be a great place to ask for ideas. Any suggestions?

Please help.
Glitterbox

Elaina

One Too Many
One I used out of the Depression, compliments of my mother's best friend's great grandmother: sateen roses filled with bird seed. You make a cup out od sateen, attach wire and floral tape and fill with seed. Push top in to make rose. Flip at couple leaving.

I'm sure you can find directions, it resurfaced a while ago as a trend.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Wow, Glitterbox, I LOVE your name!!!!! Welcome to the Lounge! Let's see... favors for a 30's/40's wedding...: How about a perfect chocolate truffle in a box monogrammed with your initials and tied in ribbon? Or maybe an individual champagne flute, filled with sparkly sheer shredded "grass" filling and a wrapped silver heart candy, tied in ribbon? Or maybe even the perfect "little black book" with your new name and address on a calling card tied onto it? Gosh, I LOVE weddings! Congratulations!--Etienne

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I think the requisite candied almonds wrapped in tulle or satin is pretty classic, and has a definite retro feel.

We too had the satin birdseed-filled roses! My maid of honor made them for us and I think they were pretty easy.

Glitterbox

New in Town
ooooh, I've never heard of the satin rose birdseed thing. I'm gonna check into that for our ceremony.

thanks for the suggestions, I'm still open to any other ideas anyone has.

My fiance suggested we give a box of either that Lucky Elephant pink popcorn or a box of cracker jacks. I can't seem to find any history on either one, does anyone know if they were around in the 1940s?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Cracker Jacks definitely were. Cracker Barrel sells the reproduction boxes for around $1 each, we usually buy several each time we go. I've got one in my WWII display footlocker and I swear it draws more comments than anything else!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fortworthgal said:
I think the requisite candied almonds wrapped in tulle or satin is pretty classic, and has a definite retro feel.

We too had the satin birdseed-filled roses! My maid of honor made them for us and I think they were pretty easy.
I think the candied almonds, called jordan almonds, wrapped in tulle, is a great idea. There are lots of places that sell them in bulk on-line for very reasonable prices. They also make very pretty silver and gold ones for weddings. I think they cost a little more than the regular colored ones, but they just add that wedding touch.
I don't know if this is retro, but maybe you could find some pretty retro looking small picture frames. You could use the frames instead of place cards by putting a card with the guests name in the frame instead of a picture. I don't know if you have the christmas tree shops where you live, but they have some very vintage looking small silver frames for a very reasonable price. It also might save you a little money for it will do double duty as a place card as well as a gift.
I also like the idea of a chocolate truffle in a small gift box with a bow. That seems very elegant.
Oh, and welcome to the lounge. Congrats on your up-coming nuptuals! Keep us informed as to how the plans are going...

tallyho

One of the Regulars
our wedding was done in a 40s theme. the reception was was at an art deco bar. we had a swing band (Mora's Monder Rythmists) A 41 caddy instead of a limo. for the favours, we had agirl dressed as a cigarette girl and she passed out cigars with hand made labels with our initials and date on them. we also had wood matches in shiny black boxes with out intitials in a deco script print in gold foil. for those not wanting to puff a stogie, we had Jordan almonds in the tulle sash. we also had chocolate eiffel towers with gold leafing ( we were engaged on the top pf the eiffel tower) I also made deco style music stands in black and gold with out initials.

tallyho

One of the Regulars
to let people know which table to sit at we had their name in a little frame with the names of 40s cars. on each table was a frame with a picture of the car and the name. to let the waiter know who got filet mingon and who got salmon, we had playing cards and poker chips in red and blue. red for meat, blue for fish.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Your wedding sounds like it was a delightful experience for both you and your guests, Tallyho.

I also think Jordan almonds would be a nice choice. As for chocolates, maybe you could have them personalized somehow?

Glitterbox

New in Town
wow tallyho,

your wedding sounds very simular to ours. Our reception will be in an art deco bar (were decorating it like an old supper club), there will be a swing band, two cigarette(candy) girls and we are renting a vintage 1940's car. As for seating, we aren't going to use place cards, we will be having a seating chart at the entrance and each table will be named after a famous classic movie from the era(Casablanca, Little Caeser, Citzen Kane ect..) Were also hiring a couple of professional swing dancers to do a little number, then stick around a for bit to teach anyone if they want to learn a few steps.

what else...oh yes..we will also be serving free coca cola in glass bottles with straws for our guests. I think thats about it soo far. I've been somewhat worried as I don't want to be "that person" who goes overboard with a theme. But I think the 30s-40s theme was such a classy era. I think most people would agree.

tallyho, do u have any pics from your wedding you could share with me for inspiration and ideas?

and thanks everyone else for your suggestions, it's got my little ole brain buzzing with ideas.

tallyho

One of the Regulars
Glitterbox said:
Were also hiring a couple of professional swing dancers to do a little number, then stick around a for bit to teach anyone if they want to learn a few steps.

tallyho, do u have any pics from your wedding you could share with me for inspiration and ideas?
QUOTE]

we also hired a professional dance instructor to teach a few steps. we had her do it before we got there after the ceremony. worked out great so that people didnt get board while we doing all the post wedding church pictures.

we made it black tie optional so that we wouldnt have people showing up in flip flops and shorts.

I dont think you can go overboard with a 40s theme since it is such a classy style. if you did some sort of 70s disco style it would look ridiculous and your kids will make fun of you later.

we did have a DJ playing more contemporary music during the bands down time so that people who couldnt or wouldnt swing, could have some fun too.

I will see if I can dig up photos for you.

Novella

Practically Family
Polka Dot said:
As for chocolates, maybe you could have them personalized somehow?

M&M's (which were introduced in the 1940s) do personalized versions now, here. As for the truffle in a box, Godiva does really cute wedding favors, and you can personalize the ribbon that's tied on the boxes (although that could end up expensive).

I think the Cracker Jack idea is really cute and unique!

Nashoba

One Too Many
We had a very formal military wedding. I think our favors were a small vial of bubbles wrapped in tule for people to blow bubbles at us. Not really that creative nor very retro, but I was stressed, my mother came up with it and it was one less thing for me to be worried about. I was more concerned about all of the Marines who were supposed to be in our ceremony showing up and on time with their uniforms (I actually had to remind one of them to go put his uniform on, he showed up in street clothes)
I love the birdseed idea and the jordan almonds, I think both would be very classy and simple to do. It sounds like you have so much other stuff going on, it might be good to have something simple that you don't have to worry too much about.

Nashoba

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nashoba said:
We had a very formal military wedding. I think our favors were a small vial of bubbles wrapped in tule for people to blow bubbles at us. Not really that creative nor very retro, but I was stressed, my mother came up with it and it was one less thing for me to be worried about. I was more concerned about all of the Marines who were supposed to be in our ceremony showing up and on time with their uniforms (I actually had to remind one of them to go put his uniform on, he showed up in street clothes)
I love the birdseed idea and the jordan almonds, I think both would be very classy and simple to do. It sounds like you have so much other stuff going on, it might be good to have something simple that you don't have to worry too much about.

Nashoba

Did you have a sword arch? Get the "swat"?

shindeco

A-List Customer
I love the Cracker Jack idea, too.

At our wedding, we had an afternoon tea reception. I spent the months before the wedding going to all the thrift stores around buying silver plated teaspoons. We polished them up and people could choose a teaspoon, use it and take it home. It made a great display on the tea table and it was CHEAP! Most of the spoons cost about 50 cents each but they looked like really expensive favours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn