Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weejun Fit

ZackP

New in Town
Hey there, I was wondering if any of you could lend me a hand on Weejuns. I usual shoe size is 8D and I want to get some Weejuns. I won't be able to get to a store so I have to take a bit of a chance...would you say they're true to size? Or should I size down?

Last edited:

Randy

Familiar Face
Which manufacturer? Bass now rely on overseas manufacture where they were once made here in the 'States. From what I hear, people say the fit is now less predictable (more variable, often too loose in the heel) where before it was always the same, likely a result of mass production v.s. individual benchcraft. I've heard a number of people saying that it is now preferable to get these in-person due to the variable fit, but the one pair that I have bought since they went overseas has fit pretty much just as any other 9.5 D slip-on shoe. If you buy them online and the vendor offers a good returns policy you should be fine in either event...

- Randy

ZackP

New in Town
Thanks! I wish these companies would follow a standard. I can get a GREAT deal on a pair for $22 but ONLY in size 8. Loafers are huge issues with me...some I fit in 7s, some 8s, some 7.5s.

Randy

Familiar Face
Different lasts give different fits and better shoes tend to use lasts that are made very, very similar to each other in all measurements (or in some cases there is only one of that style of last used.) Lesser quality shoes (read mass produced shoes) tend to use 'standard' sized lasts which have less attention paid to size variations to reduce costs, so shoes made using them tend to vary in fit. Companies that make better quality shoes (Allen Edmonds and Frye, for example) use lasts that are very few in number and when there are multiples of any given last each has been very carefully crafted to minimize variation. This results in all of their shoes crafted using any given last having the same 'fit' or feel (look at the Allen Edmonds website - they provide each last's characteristics.). I find that regardless of quality, moving from brand to brand will almost always result in a different fit. Sadly, fewer and fewer companies appear to make benchcrafted shoes as time goes on, so it is getting more difficult to get shoes with a predictable feel even from the same source...

- Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran