Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weekend "Safari"

darthinvictus

New in Town
These are some great shots (pics and hunters). How does the paint affect the folding of the tent? I have a canvas tent and a teepee and have considered paint as an option but fear the "crack" factor. Also do you keep a woodburning stove or have you ever employed one? In the tent I mean.

Renault

One Too Many
The latex in the paint keeps it pretty plyable. However, I put on too many coats and it's stiffer than I really wanted (but that's my fault), but has not ever cracked. My first time painting canvas. One coat would have be enough since it needs to be cut with water. If I remember correctely I found references to canvas being painted in the 17th-18th centuries. But don't ask my feeble mind where I found it....

Never had a real need for a wood stove in the tent. This tent isn't really big enough to safely employ a wood stove, and two occupants. Here, it never gets all that cold. On occassion, I've camped in it into the single digit temps (F) but was able to stay warm enough in my bedding.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
That's interesting. I wear head to toe woodland camo when I go hunting, but when I camp or hike, it's a brown leather jacket, khaki shirt, pants, proper boots and occasionally a cravat.

Forget comfort. I prefer utility and durability. My hunting attire is a concession to my desire to bag some mallards. But my hiking attire is as I wish to dress.

Thomas

WH1

Practically Family
Enjoy the imagination of the event. Pygmy rhino, hmmm sounds like a bucket list hunt.

I love the camp setting, wish we had something like this in Alabama.

Renault

One Too Many
Well lads, this is kinda like reenacting without a whole lot of the drama. You can do it alone or with those you choose to be with. You can learn a lot about a person by spending a week with them in hunting camp. Personally, it's not the hunt, but the getting ready, and the stories after the trip that make the experience what it is!!!!

I enjoy the old "golden age' stuff. Currently I'm throwing a camp together that would make ol' Col. Townsend Whelen proud! 1920's on this side of the pond, with a taste of the rockies. Picked up a nice, vintage bent-wood packboard several weels ago, and I'm about to re-rig it with new ropes.

Thanks to Chasseur, I've pulled out my old bed roll and tumpline. Time for a re-wrap and re-fit! I'll try to post pics here of the progress.

Renault

Renault

One Too Many
Ever made up Townsend Whelen's lean-to? The way he describes it, you'd think it was a palace in the wilderness.

LOL! Yep! I use a diamond fly when alone or with a single hunting pardner. Simply because ther are so easy to set up! I know Daniel Beard really liked his "Forrester" tent. Saying it set up the easiest. But I still thing the old diamond is much easier and practical. But you gotta love them old rigs!

Renault

One Too Many
Glad you enjoyed the pics. I got the old pack frame re-rigged. Now to refit the bedroll.

One of the things I really miss and it drives me mad is that I cannot find the extremely simple things I need for eveyday stuff, repairs, chores, etc.. Well the stuff I want to use that is, without having to go to some on-line supplier. I end up making what I need. I'm sure none of you all have ever had this problem! :D I miss REAL hardware stores with quality merchandise!

Renault

Gordon Dundas

New in Town
Glad you enjoyed the pics. I got the old pack frame re-rigged. Now to refit the bedroll.

One of the things I really miss and it drives me mad is that I cannot find the extremely simple things I need for eveyday stuff, repairs, chores, etc.. Well the stuff I want to use that is, without having to go to some on-line supplier. I end up making what I need. I'm sure none of you all have ever had this problem! :D I miss REAL hardware stores with quality merchandise!

Renault
I understand how you feel it's enough to drive one around the bend. In my City of Winnipeg there are the last time I looked two Count em' two real hardware stores in a city with a population of 735,000 people!
I 'm trapped in world with a BIG BOX mentality I replaced a glass pane in window a few years ago .(albeit badly ) It took almost a dozen phone calls to find a place that didn't want to sell me a$1500 dollar window unit but couldn't sell me a pane of glass and putty.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I understand how you feel it's enough to drive one around the bend. In my City of Winnipeg there are the last time I looked two Count em' two real hardware stores in a city with a population of 735,000 people!
I 'm trapped in world with a BIG BOX mentality I replaced a glass pane in window a few years ago .(albeit badly ) It took almost a dozen phone calls to find a place that didn't want to sell me a$1500 dollar window unit but couldn't sell me a pane of glass and putty.
I was talking to a friend of mine Friday who also builds motorcycles, and we were lamenting on how the city keeps getting larger, yet it is harder to get hardware, metal, and other items we used to get so easily!

There are no hardware stores anymore (at least around here), just "home improvement centres."

L. C. Lawrence

New in Town
So enjoyed the "Safari" photos. Been craving vintage safari wear and foun resources scarce. On a mission for functional boots...

Gordon Dundas

New in Town
I belong to a group of steam punk aficionados and a weekend safari likes yours has got me thinking of perhaps something along those lines

Story

I'll Lock Up
I belong to a group of steam punk aficionados and a weekend safari likes yours has got me thinking of perhaps something along those lines

Then you'll want to watch this [video=vimeo;36370552]http://vimeo.com/36370552[/video]

Story

I'll Lock Up
I enjoy the old "golden age' stuff. Currently I'm throwing a camp together that would make ol' Col. Townsend Whelen proud! 1920's on this side of the pond, with a taste of the rockies. Picked up a nice, vintage bent-wood packboard several weels ago, and I'm about to re-rig it with new ropes.

You guys want a good (drinking) game to play? Using only one (1) strike-anywhere match or a firesteel kit, how fast can you gather local material and start a decent campfire?

I suppose Mulligans can be awarded, after a one-second penalty draw on a hip flask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21