Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well I’ll be DAMNED... look what I found!!! (A2, reposting from VLJ)

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Just posted this on VLJ, which TFL helped introduce me to just a few days ago. Figure you all would enjoy!

"Wow, this is amazing. So the paint on my account here is probably still wet, I joined what? 48 hours ago? (If curious see my last two posts for what it was I was looking for.)

I usually find nothing I’m interested in at vintage stores, I go with my girlfriend who has amazing success but there’s usually not much along the lines of what I’m looking for (30s-50s clothing but men’s offerings are usually pretty slim.)

Anyway, decided to try out a few local places we hadn’t been to before. Just had a feeling. No joke.

Went to the leathers section at the first, nothing special (though quite a few “passables”, which got me thinking that flight style jackets are more common than I thought at these places).

Went to the second store, really just a 70s-90s type place. Looked at the jackets on a high rack and started spotting the telltale front pockets, elastic cuffs, etc. I had the nice lady pull some of them down for me and was mildly impressed by what I saw- some pretty decent A2 repros, I suppose almost G1s, etc. Most too big on me, many on the rack too ratty.

Then I put this on. Holy %#^. No, it wasn’t a perfect repro or one of the big brands (it’s a Cooper Sportswear A2), but I go damn. Damn damn damn. Price tag says $150.99. Definitely a bit above no-brainer territory for me given it’s not high end and Five Star’s prices, and I decide to ask her if the prices are final (at vintage stores they usually are, but who knows?) She says, “hold on let me look at the tag. Oh it’s red. Yeah those are 50% off.” I go, “excuse me??” Eyes like saucers. She goes, “yeah, actually I can probably do better than that. The owner told us to basically go as low as we we can to get rid of these, they’ve been here forever! Let me look something up... ok the lowest price on the rack for one of these is $85. I can give you that price.” Me: “Wait... 50% *off* $85??!” Her: “yep!!” I just couldn’t believe it. I was going to walk out of this shop with this jacket for about $45. I was holiday/birthday/last day of school level happy and thanked her profusely for making my day!

So! The haul. Is it my end all be all A2? Nope! Is it a damn near perfect fit which will see me through countless upcoming dances and re-enactments, serve as a fantastic measuring jacket for others to come, and a great first jacket for my nascent collection (not to mention practically brand new)? HELL YEAH!

Virtually my dream fit, better than any other A2 I’ve ever tried on by a long shot, and close to my ideal color...

(Picture quality is, I apologize, pure shit :))

Thanks for your help, all!"

ecd1f83b-909f-4410-bceb-3041867b1aee-jpeg.56047
688f53bd-b9db-47a1-9798-867ef0342eaf-jpeg.56048
f3c2cc49-7d58-4c66-9565-fe2d12fe311a-jpeg.56049
f2af5291-b66e-45d7-a0d3-e30f0b83158f-jpeg.56050
bf47f2c6-d000-4549-90eb-3e26c07548d6-jpeg.56051

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-24_1-15-33.gif
    upload_2021-3-24_1-15-33.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 412

Edward

Bartender
Cracking jacket at that price! Those old Coopers may not measure up to the big names in repros, but they can be really nice jackets nonetheless, and I always thought they would be a nice choice for someone who wanted a patched and/or painted A2, but didn't want to commit to decorating one bought at the higher price bands.

I've seen the price steadily rise on them, though. One place local to me is now looking GBP299 for a used Cooper A2.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I always thought they would be a nice choice for someone who wanted a patched and/or painted A2, but didn't want to commit to decorating one bought at the higher price bands.

That's indeed a great way to make a relatively inexpensive jacket look much cooler and more playful. I had my tailor sew this hand painted squadron patch onto my Ralph Lauren A-2.

DB389D41-0FEA-452A-8DCE-515275E6D015.jpeg
2BD019CD-60EA-448F-B416-39E411890731.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
That's indeed a great way to make a relatively inexpensive jacket look much cooler and more playful. I had my tailor sew this hand painted squadron patch onto my Ralph Lauren A-2.

View attachment 321616 View attachment 321617

Was that one of the line they did with Buzz Rickson, or a different one? (I think it was Buzz did a collab with them some years ago - I've seen a few selling on eBay.)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Was that one of the line they did with Buzz Rickson, or a different one? (I think it was Buzz did a collab with them some years ago - I've seen a few selling on eBay.)
I didn't know they did a line with Buzz Rickson. Those were surely nicer than this one. This is one of their 'Polo Ralph Lauren' made in China A-2 inspired jackets. The ones they sell today are not that good but this one from around 2005/2010 is pretty decent quality. Back then they were sold new for €1100 but now these can be found on eBay for a couple of hundred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner