Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Went the Day Well

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
The new BFI restoration of Cavalcanti's 'Went the Day Well' has just been released for a few showings and I am off to see it at the The Rex Cinema in Berkhamstead. A restored Art Deco cinema. I have seen this film so many times on TV and DVD but I cannot wait to see it on the big screen and at the Rex. Funny really but the village it's filmed in only the road surface has changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYKf4bJm86w

Cavalcanti's wartime film, based on a story by Graham Greene, still unsettles, even shocks, with its subversive, almost surreal spectacle of a cosy English village under Nazi attack in the Second World War.

Disguised as British soldiers, the invading Germans insinuate themselves into a pretty village inhabited by British character players so familiar to wartime audiences that they must have seemed like family members. Always the mischievous foreign observer, Cavalcanti kicks away their usual charm, letting them kill and be killed in a violent battle for their green, pleasant land. Critics' reactions at the time were mixed; but now we can properly relish this visionary film, as jolting and quizzical about British life as anything by Powell and Pressburger.

This film is screening as part of Long Live Film, a major project celebrating the 75th anniversary of the BFI National Archive.

Went-The-Day-Well-006.jpg

and the cinema
http://www.therexberkhamsted.com/

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just skimmed the IMDB entry on this film. Amazing to think it was produced in 1942. But then again, "To Be or Not To Be" was also produced in 1942.
Sounds like it's basically "Tight Little Island" meets The Twilight Zone.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Well I saw the film last night and it was good to see it on the big screen. It did seem more dramatic, poignat and intense seeing it on the media it was made for and with other moviegoers. I recommend the film and a big thank you to the BFI for releasing the film.

A drive home through the old part of Berkhamstead and the Chiltern hills, could have been back in the forties. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails