Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Werber Sportswear G1 just arrived!

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

Having not bought much recently, I took a gamble on a G-1 on ebay. Images were terrible and slightly out of focus but I took a punt on it.

Arrived today and it is absolutely incredible! The jacket has had a patch and nametag removed but apart from that is in incrediblely good condition – soft buttery goatskin with no scrapes whatsoever. The mouton is a lovely gingery (teddy bear) colour and all buttons/snaps are present. Waistband has turned a reddish colour and there is not a single nip in it. It is also a size 44 and is the MIL-J-7823 early spec (USN behind collar).

I understand that the Werbers are fairly rare as they only had one contract for this spec. It is slightly shorter in the arms and waist than my other
G-1’s but this is no bad thing for me. The windflap is quite a bit wider than any other I have seen. I avoided getting stung for customs charges and with the shipping from US has cost me £186.

Does anyone here have a Werber G-1? It is well made and I am delighted with it.

Regards, Bob

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
There is another one on ebay right now but it is a lot more £ and not in as good condition. Just do a search for G-1 on ebay.com and it will come up.

I would say it is as good as Pritzker or H&L Block in terms of goatskin.

I am always wary of buying from the states (particularly the west) as I have seen many that are a bit dry or have some rot across the shoulders. Maybe it is the heat or the humid climate.

Here is the ebay number for the one I just got Item number:

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi Bob,

I have two of these same sized G-1 Werber jackets. They seem to have extreme variations with their proportions according to the stated size. However, one characteristic all of my Werber jackets have in common and that is long sleeves in proportion to the length of the body of the jacket.

Not that the existing length of the sleeves may currently be insufficient but the fact that your jacket exhibits short sleeves is a definite indication that the original length of the sleeves on your jacket have been altered.

G-1Werbers-1.jpg

Cheers,

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your new Werber G-1 sounds fantastic Bob. As you say Werber had one G-1 contract-N383S 88886-which dates from 1952. I'm looking forward to seeing the jacket in the flesh or photos of it.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Maverickson said:
Hi Bob,

I have two of these same sized G-1 Werber jackets. They seem to have extreme variations with their proportions according to the stated size. However, one characteristic all of my Werber jackets have in common and that is long sleeves in proportion to the length of the body of the jacket.

Not that the existing length of the sleeves may currently be insufficient but the fact that your jacket exhibits short sleeves is a definite indication that the original length of the sleeves on your jacket have been altered.

G-1Werbers-1.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks for this info – the sleeves are a perfect length for me as is the length of the jacket. I think the 7823 contract had proportionally longer arms than the earlier G-1s. I have 3 M422a, 2 AN6552 and 2 55j14 and these all have shorter arms which I personally prefer.

The jacket that has eluded me ever since I started collecting (25 years ago) is the Fried Ostermann M422 and M422a.

A friend of mine had the M422 before the a designation and it is the only one I have ever seen in the flesh. He had it stolen a few years ago. To me, this would be the holy grail of navy jackets (incredibly rare) – but all the early contracts are very hard to find in good original condition. Mouton is a big problem for drying out and balding.

usdiver

New in Town
RE: Werber G-1

May I ask if you got a 44, what chest size are you and does it fit well? I've been trying to get one of these but I was told they come up small. Thanks I have an Eastman G-1 that's great but me being prior service USN I'm wanting a pre issued one...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The jacket that has eluded me ever since I started collecting (25 years ago) is the Fried Ostermann M422 and M422a.

A friend of mine had the M422 before the a designation and it is the only one I have ever seen in the flesh. He had it stolen a few years ago. To me, this would be the holy grail of navy jackets (incredibly rare) – but all the early contracts are very hard to find in good original condition.
Do you suppose that knowledge is now widespread enough that it might have had something to do with the theft? Are casual thieves targeting such items as M-422s?

hourrecord

New in Town
Werber G-1

I too have a Werber G-1,...and yes it is a fantastic jacket!. Size 44, Werbers were known to be short in the torso but with ample room in the shoulders. Another trait that seperates them from other contract G-1's, is the 'belt' strip of leather on the back. If you look closely it extends around the back to the side seams which were stitched straight down from the armpits. The other G-1's have a side seam that curves towards the back slightly, hence the belt of leather is shorter. I will post pics soon. Enjoy your Werber, they are truly rare.

Cheers:

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,

Bobby, I'm still patiently awaiting your posting of some Werber pix!

Recently, I restored my darker colored Werber and found another anomaly with regards to these same G-1 Werber jackets. These Webers were put together using OD thread! Nearly all the thread seen outside of these jackets appears to be a buff color. However, once inside I found that thread having not seen any sunlight since it's conception is in fact OD.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran