Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesco Boot Thread.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Apparently, Wesco has seen some recent controversy.

I don't have any Wesco boots. I don't have a need for such boots. I have settled to admire from afar.

Colin G

One Too Many
Mine showed up today after waiting over a year and half. Wesco f@*ked things up so the boots will have to go back to Bakers. Probably for a refund. What an utter disappointment. Why did Bakers not even check the boots against the order to make sure they were correct? This could have saved shipping to Canada, me paying tax and import fees and now to pay to send them back. What a shit show.

Last edited:

jglf

A-List Customer
Mine showed up today after waiting over a year and half. Wesco f@*ked things up so the boots will have to go back to Bakers. Probably for a refund. What an utter disappointment. Why did Bakers not even check the boots against the order to make sure they were correct? This could have saved shipping to Canada, me paying tax and import fees and now to pay to send them back. What a shit show.
That sucks. There is no excuse for these companies to not check the boots against the order. What did they mess up on?

Colin G

One Too Many
Wrong heel strike. I ordered a Quabaug heel since they are not as tall as a Vibram heel strike. I even emailed them frequently to make sure. Baker did their part. Wesco dropped the ball. Stitching is kind of sloppy also.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Apparently, Wesco has seen some recent controversy.

I don't have any Wesco boots. I don't have a need for such boots. I have settled to admire from afar.

I remember seeing the original Rose Anvil video, I didn't realise Chris did a response video so thank you for sharing. Chris was always very helpful when I first got my boots with sizing even though I ordered through Iron Heart's store.

I think Wesco has been failing in the QC department over the past year or two, but I think they have tightened it back up recently. I've seen some really poorly made ones come out, very sloppy stitching, uneven toe caps, etc.

Even my pair I went with a retailer for another extra layer of QC, and they are pretty well made in my opinion although I do have way different expectations between my Japanese or Indonesian boots and PNW boots. I think the only real flaw I can find is the toecap is ever so slightly shorter one one boot. Not enough to be very visually apparent on foot but when you look for it, it's there.

Personally, if I were to order another pair of Wesco, I would go through a retailer, extra layer of QC checking and also they seem like their RTW runs are always constructed more neatly compared to MTO.

Note: this picture, they are not lined up symmetrically and I took the photo at a bit of an angle, but it is a small difference that the left one is a few millimeters longer.

1697510488397.png

Wesco just has this sort of feeling, that I like the overall package a lot, even though they are not as well finished as my other boots. It's kind of hard to explain.

Fifty150

One Too Many
That's part of the charm when each shoe is made by hand. Or at least that is the line that the salesman at Allen Edmonds expected me to believe when I got effed up shoes. No thank you. I will settle for the less charming shoe without the mistakes.

For decades, I've wanted a made to order Pacific NorthWest boot. I've even mapped the drive from Chinatown to their factory. I have had my sights set on their motorcycle boots, and had every intention of getting fitted at the factory to ensure a proper fit. I just haven't been able to justify the expense to myself. Every time I look at $799 boots, I think of how that money could be better allocated.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
That's part of the charm when each shoe is made by hand. Or at least that is the line that the salesman at Allen Edmonds expected me to believe when I got effed up shoes. No thank you. I will settle for the less charming shoe without the mistakes.

For decades, I've wanted a made to order Pacific NorthWest boot. I've even mapped the drive from Chinatown to their factory. I have had my sights set on their motorcycle boots, and had every intention of getting fitted at the factory to ensure a proper fit. I just haven't been able to justify the expense to myself. Every time I look at $799 boots, I think of how that money could be better allocated.
If you don't want mistakes, but off the shelf and inspect before buying. I looked at some White's Boots in Stumptown Shibuya, made extremely well and none of the typical QC issues (also you need to fit one of their standard sizes). You will pay a premium though compared to ordering via Baker's during their common 20% sales. For me, if you want perfection, don't get PNW boots, the rough nature comes with the territory. Although you may argue now they're very widely worn for style casually, they are still mostly built in the same way so it's more function first. If you want precision, Japanese bootmakers like White Kloud, Chinese bootmakers like Iron Boots, Flame Panda or Indonesian bootmakers like Onderhoud. All of them will still have minor mistakes, it's pretty much impossible to get a completely perfect boot, it's the degree of imperfections that are acceptable that changes the cost. Not even considering the style of boot is pretty different as well.

For PNW boots, I don't care too much about the precision since I have other boots for that, they will get kicked about and blend in after a while anyways, although I still wear them casually for style, not any work. I have many boots, more beautifully built, more hand finishing techniques, more precisely stitched, but yet I still wear my Wesco the most, I think that means something. I think it has the same sort of appeal as Vanson or Schott vs. precisely made Japanese repros, I like both and they each have their own merits.

If you want even less mistakes than PNW, Jack White Brothers, its maybe 90% of the perfection of White Kloud at about 1/3 of the price. Best boot I have and to me even more charming than my Wesco because I know exactly two people worked on this boot, one of them being one of the best bootmakers in the world.

Gone

New in Town
Mine showed up, wrong colored stitching and sundry QC fails, I'm not going to return them as after waiting all this time I simply want nothing to do with Wesco ever again. Better to just take the loss and wash my hands of them rather than throw away more time and effort. I have no doubt this was a good brand once upon a time, but not anymore.

doug5551

New in Town
wesco mister lou engineer natural CXL 9.5E

These are my first pair of Engineer Boots. For me, they fit true to size and fit me perfectly.

There seem to be some concerns about Wesco Quality Control. I am new to fine footwear and my eye and understanding are not trained.

However, i can say that i absolutely love these.

Incredibly overbuilt. Like a pair of Cowboy boots on steroids.

Any yet amazingly comfortable. I have been wearing them around the house like slippers, which is quite an unbelievable accomplishment for something so tough, durable and heavy duty.
s-l1600 - 2023-11-10T124512.132.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-11-10T124520.959.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-11-10T124530.586.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-11-10T124539.384.jpg
s-l1600 - 2023-11-10T124546.968.jpg

Last edited:

jglf

A-List Customer
Just received my Hendrik’s the other day after a 20 month wait. Quality is about on par with my other Wesco’s. Nothing totally egregious but stitching and symmetry could be better. Only mistake they made was to add toe caps when asked not to. There’s no way I’m having them remade and waiting another 1+ year to receive them back.

The Hendrik is by far my favorite boot when it comes to balancing aesthetic, fit, price, and quality. That is why I own 3 and am will to wait so long for them.
IMG_2153.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21