Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WESTED LEATHER A-2

BKLYN

New in Town
I have noted that a few have wondered about the WESTED LEATHER Memphis Belle A-2 Flight Jacket. Many have raved about their Indy Jacket but no one could really say, first hand, what their Memphis Belle A-2 was actually like. Well, I'd like to put and end to the speculation. Against the advise of many of you, I went ahead and ordered one. It took six weeks and finally arrived today.

Here is my meager evaluation:
Let me start by saying, as a leather jacket, it's beautiful. The craftsmanship and the quality of the leather is great. BUT IT IS, IN NO WAY, AN "AUTHENTIC A-2" as advertised, nor is it any resemblance to the one's in the movie "Memphis Belle" or "Hanover Street" (also as advertised). http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shops/westedcom/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=8
To begin with, it has a snap at the neck as opposed to the hook and eye as shown in the film "Memphis Belle".
No collar stand, as shown in both "Memphis Belle" and "Hanover Street".
It also has a snap at the bottom of the wind flap.
A dark brown lining, (material: unknown)
No specification label,
The zipper doesn't extend to the bottom of the jacket and if I examined it further, I would probably find additional descrepencies, However, I was in such a hurry to ship it back I didn't want too look any further!

Yes, it appears to be horsehide as advertised and it does have a one piece back, 2 piece sleeves, 2 pockets, (They added an inside wallet pocket that I do like even though I know the originals didn't have this) but that's about where the authenticity ends.

Get your Indy Jackets at WESTED but, AVOID WESTED LEATHER IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN "AUTHENTIC A-2" (as they put it)!!!

To say that I was very disapointed would be putting it mildly. It's packed and ready for it's trip back to Merry Old England!

I'm really sorry I didn't listen to you guys and wound up wasting my time and money (six weeks & shipping charges).

Well, it's warming up here in Virginia so, I'm going save up my pennies so I can buy a decent A-2 for next season. I'll be going for one of the A-2's you guys have recommended! Any and all suggestions are still very welcome!
Thanks again!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to hear about your un-authentic A2! Wested's B3 is also far removed from original B3s, with its slash pockets and inaccurate facings etc.. I agree with you AVOID WESTED if you want an accurate repro!

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hi BKLYN, That sure is a real shame and to think they did the jackets for Memphis Belle too ! Oh well, I am sure if you look at Eastman and Aero website you will be more inspired. Good luck next time round !! ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BKLYN, sorry you got a bum steer (or horse, I guess). But thank you for at least being specific as to how it didn't stack up. No one did that for me when I asked for pointers on the Cockpit horse A-2 I got off eBay. It looked pretty right all around, no extraneous snaps or off-color liners or anything, but it was like, "It's a Cockpit, Cockpits are crap, end of story." (It cost about what your Wested did, which didn't help matters any...)

Technonut

Practically Family
BKLYN said:
Is anyone familiar with this outfit?
http://www.barnstormerleathers.com/servlet/Detail?category=Open+Roadster+Jackets&no=661
It looks like the jacket shown at U.S. Authentic (Flightjacket.com) but the price appears to be somewhat lower (no addirional charge for the horsehide).

The picture of the jacket is EXACTLY the same as U.S. Authentic's.... If Shaul Dover is turning-out the horsehide jackets for Barnstormer Leathers, it would be a helluva deal.... ;)

EDIT: Hmmmmm... From Barnstormer Leathers:

Thank you for your interest in Barnstormer Leathers and Barstormerleathersinc.com. We make authentic retro styled leather Jackets, bags, and footwear using American tanned leather and American labor. To us "Made in the USA" is very important and the images of American workers in the era of the "new deal" and WW2 look so good we can't help but be obsessed with Americana. We bring you the clothing and footwear of the era such as, logger boots, horsehide leather jackets, engineer boots, flight jackets, made by American firms like Vanson, Avirex, Cooper, Alpha, Danner, Rawlings, Barnstormer and more.

BKLYN

New in Town
Fletch said:
"It's a Cockpit, Cockpits are crap, end of story." (It cost about what your Wested did, which didn't help matters any...)

So, Cockpits aren't very good either?
Thanks! I was considering going that way as well.
Guess I'll keep saving up until I can get a good one.
I'm just so apprehensive about buying overseas again. I might find a good jacket but, if I don't get the proper fit it will cost me. Sending back that WESTED cost me $40.00! Add that to the initial shipping charge and now I've paid about $80.00 and have nothing to show for it.
Guess I'll consider Flight Suits (Gibson Barnes) or US Authentic since they're right here.

Anyone hear of Branded Leather in NYC? http://www.800branded.com/page16.htm

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
BKLYN said:
So, Cockpits aren't very good either?
Not as a rule. But I thought I had a buy here. These were supposedly a special order lot for an air museum.
Pro: nicely colored and smooth-grained horse, no extra pockets or other extraneous details, all wool cuffs, all cotton lining, convincing stamps.
Con: You can layer under it (then again, being slightly unsure of the fit I bought a 44 when I could've gotten away with a 42), the pockets are a little big and close to the storm closure, the flaps aren't very scalloped, the collar is unlined, the hanger loop isn't sewn flat, the zipper pull says YKK (I believe we were at war with them once :rolleyes: ), and the label (which I covered up so as not to tip anyone off) is totally unconvincing, with a big fat ® prominent.

See here for my jacket and the most opinionated (but not at all specific) review of it.
See here for the closest equivalent in The Cockpit catalog (which costs more).

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Technonut said:
The picture of the jacket is EXACTLY the same as U.S. Authentic's.... If Shaul Dover is turning-out the horsehide jackets for Barnstormer Leathers, it would be a helluva deal.... ;)

EDIT: Hmmmmm... From Barnstormer Leathers:

I called them and was told the jacket was made by Avirex....

Technonut

Practically Family
SHARPETOYS said:
I called them and was told the jacket was made by Avirex....

Thanks for the info.... I tried calling them a little while ago, and could not get through...

It is not a good thing for them to use U.S. Authentic's jacket pic IMHO....

BKLYN

New in Town
Technonut said:
Thanks for the info.... I tried calling them a little while ago, and could not get through...

It is not a good thing for them to use U.S. Authentic's jacket pic IMHO....

I agree. I'm not doing anymore "gambling". I've already lost too much.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
BKLYN,

You can't go wrong with either US A or Gibson and Barnes. They both make quality flight jackets with superior workmanship at a more affordable price. Also, you will avoid the hastles of dealing overseas again and you will be supporting good American companies. If you want a more trim and longer fitting jacket try US A and if you want a more modern fit try G&B (order one size down). Good luck!

Ray

BKLYN

New in Town
In all fairness to Wested Leather I have to post this reply that they sent me:

Hi Jeff,
I am sorry about that you are not happy with the jacket.
It would appear from your description that we have sent an A2B instead of the A2 which is another another jacket we make which is has a much looser and modern cut.
The A2 as you say should have a collar stand with hook and eye and the zip to the bottom. Also the sleeves and body are a much narrower.
If you wish to return the jacket for another OK if not return it for a refund with postage. Please follow the return instruction to avoid import charges.
My apologies,
Peter

Now, I don't know how this could have possibly happened with all of the emails I sent discussing the various details. During these discussions I was told that the reason for my wait was because they were "custom" making my jacket. But, at least they're not giving any problem as far as a full refund, including postage, is concerned. Again, I did like their workmanship as well as the quality of the materials. But Never was a, so called "A-2B" discussed or even entered the picture. It certainly isn't mentioned on their website. They do appear to be trying. What do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy