Western, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by kokopelli, Dec 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ross Young

Ross Young A-List Customer

Strange year. Normally around this time of year, I am flying home to Michigan for a family golf outing; instead I have a staycation this year. Woke up to my car being broken into and property stolen, but I didn’t let it ruin my trip to Death Valley in my 7x. With temps just under 120*, it mostly sat shotgun...

42CF63B9-0261-4E44-B107-6B7B3205059F.jpeg 74E8F310-DA37-47A2-B25F-3A77780A2A3B.jpeg 311971C7-55BB-48DE-9CB0-C4735772E6BB.jpeg 4798B1C2-F1BB-41E4-8BD9-74593A66B9E5.jpeg 889F9673-925F-4528-A815-61D2F8B8D83C.jpeg B48E5654-E570-45C8-8156-1A26C1FF6FF6.jpeg

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Brings back great memories of my trip to the Valley...It was April so only hit a coolish 97 degrees.

Ross Young and deadlyhandsome like this.
  3. dh66

dh66

Killer 7X @Ross Young and looks like an awesome trip. Sorry to hear about the theft. That sucks.

johnnycanuck, M Hatman and Ross Young like this.
  4. Ross Young

Ross Young A-List Customer

Thanks Dale, luckily nothing too major and I think insurance will cover.

dh66 and Blare like this.
  5. Out earlier on a high octane coffee run with a 1940's - 1950's No.1Q 3x6.

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8122.jpg

6. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

I always enjoy seeing that unusual No. 1. Great colors with a that hat and bandana.

Blare and Hurricane Jack like this.
  7. Thanks BB. And the shirt is actually black but exposure makes it appear blue. I call the color of the hat walnut because it's closest to that modern Stetson color.

I'm enjoying how a bandana can gussie up a tee shirt or Henley like putting a removable collar on it. And I can braid & tuck the beard when I don't want to deal with the length.

Gannon Highwayman in natural

IMG_7931.jpg

8. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

9. That's some pretty tall corn you're detasseling there DD, but thank you!

Blare, Rumad, Bamaboots and 2 others like this.
  10. The Bulldogger 3x6 by Moore Hat Co, Lawton, OK was a doctor's hat once upon a time, & was owned by 3 Loungers before finding it's way to me. And I appreciate each of you for that. Upon arriving it left behind its diamond crease & snapped down brim Strat wanna-be ways forever & returned to being a vintage Western doctor's hat. I call the color Bone as it has a cream colored cast to it. 3-cord ribbon & very soft.

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_8144.jpg

IMG_8145.jpg

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

BradT, hatophile, Yahoody and 15 others like this.
  11. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

That things a beauty, HJ and perhaps the softest felt hat I’ve ever held. Thanks for posting all the innards again as well. I’d forgotten how beautiful that hat is all over. Looks like you got the brim stable.

12. Thanks BB. Because of the color I've only worn it on cool evenings in the summer. I try hard to keep it clean. It is soft & the brim would definitely do that John Wayne wind roll from The Searchers. If you look at the pics in the Drinks thread you can see how the brim distorts just laying on the table rim.

13. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Makes me want to wash my hands just to look at the pictures.

Yahoody, Blare, M Hatman and 4 others like this.
  14. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Love that hat and that liner....well....in addition to the cool illustration the PLEATS!!!!! Wow!!
    Have you posted it in the lovely liner thread?

Desert dog, Hurricane Jack and Blare like this.
  15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

The brown hat is a Tom Mix I picked up from DeadlyHandsome in a 7 1/4" that I tore down completely, naptha bathed, reblocked to 7 3/8", light pouncing, luring, new ribbon (the old one was sunbleached and toast. I saved the old leather sweat so it some connection to its past (plus did not want to spend any more money on it). It came back nicely and even though it was well sun damaged the felt revived well. It was a fun time working on it.
    The Ash grey hat I reblocked to a big square shouldered Boss of the Plains block and I had a ton of brim so did a curl on it. Put in a new sweat but kept the old liner, not in bad shape. I changed out the dull grey two ply ribbon for a hand tooled leather band I made. I wish I wore more westerns as they sure are fun to work with. CIMG1953.JPG CIMG1955.JPG CIMG1954.JPG CIMG1957.JPG

Attached Files:

16. Thanks Mark. I probably have but I don't recall.

M Hatman likes this.
  17. Blare

Blare My Mail is Forwarded Here

Fantastic!

18. dh66

dh66

Nice work!!! Those turned out great.
    I really like the tooled band, too.

Yahoody, belfastboy and Blare like this.
  19. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Desert dog, Blare and Ross Young like this.
  20. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack Practically Family

Those look fantastic.

deadlyhandsome and belfastboy like this.