Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western Hat Care

DanK76

New in Town
Forgive me if this has already been posted. With the summer month coming up, how do you keep a straw cowboy hat from getting sweat stains? I have an old George Strait straw Resistol that I got back in ‘98 that has all kinds of sweat stains. I just picked up a Cody Johnson straw Resistol and with the heat coming, do not want sweat stains destroying the hat. Is there a good way of preventing them? Thanks.

Forgive me if this has already been posted. With the summer month coming up, how do you keep a straw cowboy hat from getting sweat stains? I have an old George Strait straw Resistol that I got back in ‘98 that has all kinds of sweat stains. I just picked up a Cody Johnson straw Resistol and with the heat coming, do not want sweat stains destroying the hat. Is there a good way of preventing them? Thanks.

Yes, don’t sweat. Sorry, but if you sweat through a straw it’s going to stain, especially the paper straw type and natural straws as well. This can be somewhat mitigated by careful cleaning but not a lot. Guatemalan palm hats hold up to sweating quite well but they’re heavy. Maybe take a look at them or others in consideration of saving your more favored hats for drier times.

Here’s a Montecristi woven western panama I sweated through while working outdoors yesterday. Dried on the stretcher overnight.
E16F741B-2771-4882-A8DA-06195648B231.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana