Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whaddaya do with yer lid while on a plane?

TomMason

New in Town
Just took two long flights, one to Germany and another to NYC. I use the overhead or even put my hat on its' crown on the floor in front of me. I also put an unfolded handkerchief under it if I put it on the floor. Same trick works for restaurants.

The hat, by the way, was on of my Open Roads - fedora style. Got several good comments.

punkinhed

New in Town
Portable storage

One of my most-useful pocket contents is a clothespin with a small string loop attached. I can hang it just about anywhere and clip the hat for temporary safe (hopefully) storage.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flew up to Seattle a week ago...

I wore my creamy Borso. The day I arrived it was bright and sunny and about 49 degrees.

I always roll up my top coat and then place it in the overhead, my hat goes on top of it. So far I've never had it crushed.

It's now overcast and raining so, of course, my Borso is in the closet in the Hotel room, as I'm less inclined to get it wet. Never fails.

-dixon cannon

Feraud

Bartender
I think I have solved my hat transportation issue.
At a thrift store today I found this nifty hat box. It is in mint condtion and cost a whopping 5 bucks!
Picture5667.jpg

Picture5668.jpg

I have a cardboard insert from a vintage hatbox that I will be putting inside this to hold the hat in place.
Picture5669.jpg

Into the overhead it goes and I am set for the QM!
;)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice, Feraud. I have a shoebag like that, it matched my lunchbox which was vinyl and cardboard. Wanted to wear one of my cowgirl hats when I flew one-way to Texas last month, but am too short. Some gents and even ladies can keep theirs on their heads while on the airplane, not I. It stayed home as I didn't check a case, and my carry-on was books for hubby to take to Iraq, and books on tape for my drive home. Wish I'd thought of the clothespin trick!!!! Am afraid to stow it in the overhead compartment even though not as many people stuff their entire life's wardrobe into their carry-on and then shove it up top. With my luck it will emerge as a pancake.

Feraud

Bartender
This box will hold a second hat. I plan on wearing a brown and packing a gray(or vice versa).
The hat in the box is this Stetson.
A hat can be safely stowed in the overhead if the other passengers are respectful of what is up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot