Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What a difference a blocking makes

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Just got my Montecristi back from Art, who did a reblock and a ribbon change, and I wanted to share:

Here's the hat when I first got it last September:
panama-on-2.jpg
montecristi-1.jpg

I asked Art to make the crown taller, or at least appear taller, I wanted a nicer grade of ribbon, and the hat needed to be adjusted a little in size because the brim touched my ears when I wore it, even with a little foam behind the sweatband. I told Art to "have fun with it", and the only other request I made was that the brim be as long as possible given what he had to work with.

Here's the result:
headshot.jpg

Here's a close-up of the new crown:
crown.jpg

And check out this rake!
rake.jpg

That superb rake made the most use of the material that was there to create a high-looking crown in the front. The narrower ribbon completes the illusion. It's EXACTLY what I had hoped for. Outstanding. The work, the customer service, everything. Just outstanding.

Thank you, Art. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for the next one!:cheers1:

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Looks great

The whole job looks great, new band and all. I really like the shape. When I finally rub coins together on the nice straw hat dream, I'll remember to consider having one shaped like that.

Looking for fur-felt fedoras, I saw a picture of a Stetson Ashland (2 1/4" brim) on ahat.com that really got me on the shape. I subsequently tried one on, and, well, the felt they're using these days just doesn't feel all that great; I really couldn't imagine them lasting all that long (for $100 for a new Stetson). I don't think I'm crazy on the similarity in shape. I think it's great, classy, unique without calling undue attention to itself.

ashland.jpg

riccardo

Practically Family
WoW,
wonderful job.
This hat,now, is really beautiful and it looks great on you.
I'm waiting my Montecristi from Art. I bought it from Panama Bob.
I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Enjoy your montecristi,Photobylan.
See you.

Riccardo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner