Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What am I missing here?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Art Fawcett said:
I have a bit of a different outlook Gents. My opinion? I think they are finally bringing what the hats in question deserve. The Knox Forty was one rung under pure beaver ( Knox 100) and is unquestionably an unreproduceable hat today. I know of no hatter that can match it in quality, myself included. The Cav edge makes all the difference in the world. Oviatt...OMG an original OVIATT??? For those unaware, the highest ( my opinion) quality men's store in the LA basin EVER was Oviatt. Walk in under LaLique (sp) crystal chandeliers.. Now, that said, they didn't make their own hats, but rather sold only top of the line clothing and accessories. You needed to walk into that store with your BIG wallet..small wallets need not apply. To see it go for over $400 doesn't surprise me at all.

I concur.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
EricH said:
The Borsalino production tag is under the sweat. Eric

http://gallery.mac.com/erich222#100193&bgcolor=black&view=grid
Eric, that is a gorgeous hat. Really great.
Thanks so much for sharing it. Whatever you
paid, it was worth it just for that stupendous
printed silk liner, let alone the hat. And without
seeing the Borsalino tag you can tell who made it,
just by looking at the front of the sweatband.

I'm just about out of superlatives... enjoy that treasure.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Congratulations! two outstanding hats sold for what we are now knowing to be
fair prices. Thank you, Art, for your perfect timing and knowledge, and your attitude of sharing information because you like to...And thanks, all- seems like we just saw something rare happen, and we're able to put it in perspective, and not go bananas over a high price being paid for a great hat-twice.
I agree that presentation is often key in selling hats; eBay now has a feature called the "Playground"-where you can get thumbnail photos of each page of Vintage hats, no more grinding through page after page of baseball caps. Great tool, IMHO. Just type in playground in the search bar, & you're there. Rilico does a heckuva job in merchandising hats, and we can spot one of his at once.
I try like the dickens to make my hats look good,give accurate info, and give a little push to the buyer in the form of historical signifigance, etc. and sometimes end up pretty short. Can't have $200. sales every time out, and can't buy for $20. every time, either. Fun business; I'll keep trying to make a few bucks, and won't take such a sale too seriously-now if they sold for $2,000... each-

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spellflower said:
To paraphrase a guy on a non-hat forum that I read, the bidder with the best information always wins on ebay.

Not always true. My pocketbook very often doesn't keep up with my information. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic