Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the lightest vintage felt hats out there?

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Here you go:

P1000226.jpg

Nice hat but has some insect damage and I'm still working on the cleaning process. But for $40 I think it will make a good summer beater.

For informational purposes, what do you call the style of bash you're using for the crown?

ejbhats

A-List Customer
Sorry, in '48, I prefer the Cadillac or the Buick Roadmaster.

Wait a minute... I thought Stetson made the Roadmaster, not Buick!
Oh well, the Priority mail rate would be a killer! That Disney is still super nice! Do you have any more?

Time for a bump... it's summer!

This unlined Dobbs Cross Country Flanul felt gives the Borsalino Featherweight a run for the money in the lightness category... a tad under 2.5 ounces.

flanul4.jpg

flanul10.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. I've handled two Borso featherweights (both a punti 4, ugh) and was amazed at how light they were.

Here's my only lightweight hat, from the Stetson-Air-Light thread.
DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I have a Champ Featherweight, a Stetson Zephyr Weight (British under license) and a Stetson Playboy II (stingy brim 60's era vita felt). Of these, the Playboy II is the lightest at 2.5 oz with liner, followed by the Champ at 2 3/4 with no liner, and finally the Zephyr at 4.0 oz with liner. I also have a very nice (7x Thirty) Stratoliner clone by Bandera hats that is 3 5/8 oz with liner. Hope this adds to the discussion.

I have many Zephyr and Foulard weight vintage hats (different makes) some even with Velour finishes. For example the Hückel Seal Velour I wore yesterday is a Zephyr.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
The very early Playboys. If you want a western-style, some of the Borso Allesandra's are extremely thin felt.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Dobbs Hankachif I just sold to Alan is extremely light. Definitely a contender

It is... I would guess it will weigh in that 2.5 ounce category along with the Dobbs Cross Country Flanul and Borso featherweight I posted earlier in this thread.

John Galt

Vendor
I just weighed what appears to be a 1960's stingy brim "Spaceweight Featherweight by Champ" that I bought on Ebay last week, and it was 4 3/8 oz with liner but no pin. I knew that it was heavier than I had expected, but was surprised that it was so much heavier than my 50's era Champ Featherweight described below. This Spaceweight is quite dirty though, so it may be a little bit lighter when it has been thoroughly cleaned.

I'm not precisely sure how heavy my Champ Spaceweight is, but it feels about like a slice of bread.

Two lightweight contenders from the early 1940s... Stetson Playboy and Disney Gadabout. Both weigh in on the postal scale at 2.5 ounces.

lightweights1.jpg

lightweights2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy