Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

GWD

One Too Many
The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter

66d69833e7a0c82d5ce41110.L._AA300_.jpg

The Ultimate Lounge Music Album! :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to greet the pollen season by --

Starting off the morning with Eddy Duchin and his Orchestra in 1934, with a Lew Sherwood vocal on "She Reminds Me Of You." Smooth violin solo by arranger Milt Shaw right after the vocal -- Duchin's band was never especially memorable, but practically every record they did has at least one little bit that makes you think "hey, that's nice."

Next, ahead to 1937 for one of the biggest hits of the year, with Jimmie Grier and his Orchestra, featuring Pinky Tomlin on the vocal for "The Object Of My Affection." Psst, Pinky's real name was "Truman." No wonder his face is rosy red.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Theme to the "Lord Peter Wimsey" series, starring Ian Carmichael.

Has a very bouncy, jazzy 20s hot'n'sweet jazz flavour (It should, the show takes place in the 20s!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait for the rain by --

Starting off in 1933 with Rudy Vallee and his Connecticut Yankees, and one of the hits from "Footlight Parade," as Rudy himself takes the vocal for "By A Waterfall." You remember the number from the film, where Ruby Keeler plays a beguiling water nymph. Rudy doesn't sound too beguiled here though -- maybe he's afraid Dick Powell will beat him up.

Next, following a commercial for Ken-L-Biscuit dog treats -- "with real government inspected horse meat baked right in!" -- it's Al Jolson in 1929 with "I'm Sittin' On Top Of The World!" Jolie is pretty hard to take first thing in the morning when I haven't had my tea yet. The man must've had a special gland that produced caffeine all on its own.

Fletch said:
Fit as a Fiddle, Lud Gluskin & Orchestra, 1933. Played show-band style, with great verve and snap, slightly frantic solo spots, and ever-so-slightly too fast. But irresistible.

My favorite Lud Gluskin record is his version of Home. I have the recording buried somewhere in my vast cassette tape archives.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that's a great one. I think this stuff only ever reached the US via a few reel-to-reels from Europe.

I've been wondering who the slightly fey "narrator" is who reads the lyrics - with vibrato! - instead of singing them. Gluskin featured him fairly often.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sonny Boy Williamson (II) with the Yardbirds, recorded in England at the Crawdaddy Club in Richmond, Surrey on 8 December 1963. Man you just do not hear that kind of music anymore.

It is said that Sonny could put one end of his harp in his mouth and play it hands free - better than most with two hands. (Except for Keith Relf who could play it with practically only one lung!)

-dixon 'rave up' cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy