Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to recover from a morning bike ride by --

Starting off in 1937 with Ozzie Nelson and his Orchestra, and Ozzie himself on the vocal for "You Leave Me Breathless." Actually, it's that hill down by the stoplight at Union and Limerock that leaves me breathless.

Next, Bing shakes a tonsil in 1931 with "I'm Through With Love." Obviously, with seven kids to his ultimate credit, he didn't stick to the resolve for very long.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Continental Celebrity Club" 1946

The Continental Celebrity Club was a variety show in true fashion, with drama shorts, orchestra music, celebrity guests, and comedy. The comedic sections were performed by Jackie Kelk, who was also Homer Brown on The Aldrich Family. John Charles Daly was the host of The Continental Celebrity Club. Daly was a famed WWII news correspondent and also hosted quiz show What's My Line?

John Charles Daly interviewed celebrities including Anne Rutherford, Dorothy Lamour, Peter Lawford, and many more. Many guest stars performed songs and acted in the dramatic shorts. Sponsored by the Continental Can Company, there are charming pro-canned food commercials in this old time radio show.

continentalcancompany2.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday: all day listened to jazz music of all varieties and the CA Pops Orchestra's May concert "Best of Broadway" audio recording- as it was the end of the season celebration party for the musicians and select volunteers. Held in the beautiful backyard garden of the CA pops drummer's 1904 historic home in Palo Alto,CA. Later into the evening the Pops Conductor and the drummer's sister regaled us all with some dandy 4 hand piano tunes too! Listening to perfect music in a very lovely setting, sharing time with really wonderful, and amazingly talented folk, while enjoying most excellent food and wine made for a glorious day.:)

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
I WANT A LITTLE GIRL, written by Billy Moll and Murray Mencher, has been performed by countless legendary vocalists and musicians. Jazz pianist Count Basie liked the song so much that he recorded it 16 separate times from 1940 to 1972! More recently, blues/rock veteran Eric Clapton released I Want A Little Girl on his 2001 Reptile album. Other outstanding performances include those by Benny Goodman (1958), Nat King Cole (1958), Louis Armstrong (1946) and blues great T-Bone Walker, who recorded the song several times. I Want A Little Girl was featured in the acclaimed film Jammin' The Blues and also appeared on the soundtrack album (along with two other great SB songs Indiana and Way Down Yonder in New Orleans).

Here performed by McKinney's Cotton Pickers with vocal refrain by George Thomas, Don Redman, cl, as, bar, v, a, dir: Joe Smith, c / John Nesbitt, t, a / Langston Curl, t / Ed Cuffee, tb / Benny Carter, cl, as / George Thomas, cl, as, ts, v / Prince Robinson, cl, ts / James P. Johnson, p, cel / Dave Wilborn, bj, g, v / Billy Taylor, bb / Cuba Austin, d Camden, NJ, July 30, 1930

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGA61Gp_sAY

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wonder how many fans I can plug in before the fuses blow by --

Starting off in 1932 with Ben Selvin and his Orchestra and one of those cheer-up-and-smile-if-it-kills-you Depression anthems, "Whistle And Blow Your Blues Away," as vocalized by a male trio who were probably wondering if the checks would clear.

Next, following a commercial for Lydia Pinkham (whose medicine for women brought her fame), it's ahead to 1934 with the king of comic novelty songs, Frank Crumit, slurring out a delightfully drunken version of "The Pig Got Up And Slowly Walked Away." Give that man some black coffee.

Asdf

New in Town
I'm quite obsessed with the Baseballs at the moment - just bought Strike and keep listening to the whole album all the way through lol Right now I'm listening to Crazy in Love, from the aforementioned album.

xx

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Just finished The Nice Age podcast from the luxuria website. Not vintage at all, unless you count D Train from the 80s as vintage. Did feature a live set from a group called The Divine Comedy who did some cabaret sort of songs in French, including Amsterdam by Weil, which sounded like Greensleeves, and Amor est Bleu, which we all know as Love is Blue.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Oscar Brown Jr. - Journey Through Forever

What an artist. Nobody like him. Check out "Sin and Soul", his first record.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sFzkQQtQnBA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sFzkQQtQnBA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Journey Through Forever

Around the sun, so brightly burning
Day by day, we go, so journey….
All aboard this twisting, turning spaceship
Called the planet earth

From the sun comes radiation,
Solar source of all creation
Poached for full regeneration,
Free of charge for all it’s worth

Puzzled, on the planet, stranded
With the baggage we were handed,
At that point where we were granted,