Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Elvis Presley -- That's When Your Heartaches Begin (1953)

What I like about this early Elvis recording, which he recorded when he was 18, is his imitation of the Ink Spots.

[video=youtube;kUi6PzCoAa8]http://youtube.com/watch?v=kUi6PzCoAa8[/video]

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
Annette Hanshaw - Cherie, I Love You (1926), Annette on Piano (with Murray Kellner on Violin).

Simply beautiful...:D

[video=youtube;K4kAmvxD8Mw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4kAmvxD8Mw&feature=related[/video]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
"Lew Conrad was best known on radio as a star vocalist on NBC in the early 1930s when he was for a brief while considered to be an up-and-coming "crooner."
For a time he also joined the Leo Reisman band as a violinist and vocalist. In addition to recording sessions with Reisman , Conrad also performed in several studio orchestra recording sessions for Nat Shilkret and Ben Selvin. "
(from Radio Dismuke)

is it only me who thinks he sounds like Rudy Vallee?
[video=youtube;TgDaBwavJSY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgDaBwavJSY[/video]

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to eat canned ravioli by --

Now playing, it's 1935 with Bob Howard and his Orchestra and a swinging Decca of a great Johnny Mercer tune, "I Never Saw A Better Night." Better speed up the vocal there a bit, Bob -- wouldn't want the melody to catch up with you.

Next, ahead to 1936 with Ted Wallace and his Orchestra throwing off the blankets and stumbling to the coffee pot for "Gotta Get Up And Go To Work Again." It looks like the Campus Boys finally had to grow up after all.

Chas

One Too Many
Blue Beat, man. Rude boy 'til they put me in the ground.

[video=youtube;S3LERNZlQjc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3LERNZlQjc&feature=BF&list=QL&playnext=1[/video]

Osvaldo Fresedo and his Orchestra -- Sollozos (tango) (1937)
(Sobs)
Vocal by Roberto Ray

[video=youtube;XxDEiWLvAVA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxDEiWLvAVA[/video]

Lyrics
(not an exact translation)

In a world of joys
Between the smoke and champagne
There's a troubled little soul in the corner crying
Drawn by her sorrow
My hankerchief dried her tears
She said, "I'm sick with sorrow and cry for my love."
As I held her she turned her face to me
Amid her sobs I heard her say, "A man tricked me"
I said, "Forget your past, forget all about yesterday."
"Don't cry for him if he hasn't cried (for you),"
"Never mind one who has a wife."

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
SHUFFLE PLAY, vol. xlviiicbm and a half

I Want You, I Need You - Gus Arnheim & Orch., 1933. Classy mid-tempo stepper featuring Mari Bell's low-pitched voice and section colors of bari saxes, clarinets and flutes.

Why Little Boy Blue Was Blue - Joe Haymes & Orch., 1932. Why and how Joe revived a forgotten Broadway fluff-tune from 1910 will never be known. Done a bit straight with a good out chorus.

I'm Ridin' to Glory - Ambrose & His Orch., 1928. Every version of this is peppy and enjoyable, Ambrose's no less so - well arranged and played with punch.

Double Trouble - Frank Dailey's Meadowbrook Orch., 1935. Clubfooted rhythm section and (apparently) a player missing from the sax line can't quite ruin this one. Good tenor solo and trumpet bits.

You Are My Lucky Star - Victor Arden & Orch., 1935. By electrical transcription, 1:50 of the kind of big-n-happy sounding orchestralism that filled in between many a news bulletin and station break.
3282801241_1ff8bceb5d.jpg

Headlines of the day for November 5, 1935...
Weather reports indicate the hurricane that made landfall at Miami yesterday is losing strength rapidly as it travels overland toward the Gulf of Mexico...
Going on sale today is a new parlor game from Parker Bros. Called Monopoly, it was created by an unemployed real estate agent, and players buy up oceanfront properties in Atlantic City...
On a somber note, late word is received of the passing of the Rev. Billy Sunday, world famous evangelist - the Rev. Sunday died in Chicago after a sudden heart attack at 71 years of age.
These bulletins come to you from the Press Radio Bureau. For further details consult your newspaper.
You are tuned to K T F L, the Voice of Fedoraville. Correct time now: BEEEEEEEEEEEP
(cat spooks, bolts off radio, upsetting vase)

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to debate turning up the furnace by --

Now playing it's something out of the ordinary from 1926, as Gid Tanner and his Skillet Lickers tear off "Down Yonder." Fiddles, guitars and mandolins, oh my!

Next, it's 1938 and Dorothy Lamour's ode to dopey-walking, double-talking, fuzzy-haired, vacant-staring uke players from Dubuque, "I Go For That." One of the records that makes the popcorn kids laugh out loud when I play it at work.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Radio to decide whether I should do the dishes or go straight to bed by --

It's June 18, 1936 and time again for the Fleischmann's Yeast Hour, where between variety acts and Rudy's songs, Graham McNamee is telling us how skin blemishes ruin the lives of young people trying to start out in the business and social world. But those ugly eruptions can be quelled by eating three cakes of Fleischmann's fresh Yeast every day. Lose no time!

And with that, Rudy and the Stewart Sisters do an exquisite version of one of the best songs of the decade, "There's A Small Hotel." I'd eat a lot of yeast for that.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
jazz-on-line.com - the stuff is here...

Leaning on the Everlasting Arm - Sons of the Pioneers, 1937. If you got the willies hearing Bob Mitchum croon this in Night of the Hunter, this cut will put you back in the pure of spirit.

Ghost of the Freaks - Luis Russell & Orch., 1934. Last of a series (Call of the Freaks, Freakish Blues). Vocal trio is the Palmer Bros., one of whom, Clarence Palmer, later founded r&b's The Jive Bombers.

Gloaming - Benny Carter med Sonora Swing Band, 1936. "The King's" trumpeting, saxophoning, composing and arranging nicely set off by a smooth Stockholm contingent.

Stay Out of Love - Willie Lewis & Orch., 1936. Benny again, this time just on trumpet, with the popular Paris swing outfit. The lyric is good advice for us cynical romantics.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot