Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to bake biscuits and hope the headache pill works by --

Now playing, it's 1929 with Johnny Marvin and one of the year's big hits courtesy of Dubin and Burke, "Tiptoe Thru The Tulips." No ukulele, but a dandy soft-shoe sandpaper-block solo on the third chorus.

Next, ahead to 1940 with Kay Kyser and his Orchestra, and a novelty number that's completely incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't know the radio stars of the day, "Who's Yehudi?" The Ol' Perfessor joins Sully Mason and Harry Babbitt do the vocal, with Harry doing an absolutely dead-on impression of Jerry Colonna. Which must be a nice talent to have.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Next, ahead to 1940 with Kay Kyser and his Orchestra, and a novelty number that's completely incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't know the radio stars of the day, "Who's Yehudi?" The Ol' Perfessor joins Sully Mason and Harry Babbitt do the vocal, with Harry doing an absolutely dead-on impression of Jerry Colonna. Which must be a nice talent to have.
Gee, if they'd printed it on paper, we'd call it ephemera.

Do you drop 'em or stamp 'em?

The biscuits, I mean. Put down that rolling pin. :eek:

Me, I'm listening (none too intently) to NBC's coverage of Da Macy*s Day P'rade. And they don't just cover the parade, they bury it. Next year it'll be called the Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Al Fresco Static Revue.

Oh wait. I see cops. And Hamburger Helper. And some dude in a velvet Tyrolean singing Try a Little Tenderness. On a float. Now that's Da P'rade.

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
In the sandwich shop yesterday they were playing a remix of Ray Charles 1955 hit 'I Got a Woman'.

I was wondering what they were playing over the din until I recognised one of the verses of the song being repeated over and over, and over, and over.

Talk about turning something cool into complete doggerel.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Gershwin ..."Walking the Dog" (1937) ... better than Debussy, better than Ravel ...

Gershwin..........

9p3daxa2rmppd3xp.jpg

[video=youtube;kMPCzouW_0s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMPCzouW_0s[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to glare balefully at the snow by --

It's 1929, and Miss Ethel Waters gives out with her big hit from "On With The Show," "Am I Blue?" Well, yeah, for at least the next four months, in fact.

Next, ahead to 1937 with Alice Faye and one of the handful of records she made for A. R. C. before Zanuck cracked down on her, "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm." Well, actually, an old corduroy bathrobe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW