Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Peacoat

Bartender

Brings back memories. Years ago I was at a small restaurant in Hendersonville, Tennessee, just north of Nashville that is home to a bunch of performers in the music industry. I was there with my girlfriend. We had visited that restaurant every two or three months for the past several years, so I was familiar with the wait staff, the owners and some of the regulars.

This was during the time that Rose Colored Glasses had just topped the charts. We noticed a guy at the small bar who looked just like John Conlee. He seemed to know the bartender, Robin, who was the daughter of the owner. I went to the bar to get drinks and to say hello to Robin. As I was there, I casually asked the guy if he was John Conlee. His response was, "No, and I don't even like his music." I replied with something like, "Well, I do; he has the greatest voice in popular music today." I went back to our table and told my girlfriend, "That's John Conlee." In Nashville, the rule is, the artists aren't bothered. It's OK to say hello to them, but unless they engage we mortals in conversation, they are left alone.

We sat there for awhile after ordering dinner, and kind of forgot about the guy at the bar. A little while later the singer in the band, that was playing in the other room, said, "Here is our favorite song, and we are going to call one of our special friends up to do it for you."

The guy at the bar got up, walked into the other room and launched into Rose Colored Glasses as only John Conley could do it. I looked at my girlfriend, and said: "I told you." He sang a few more songs, came back into the main dining room, went back to the bar, looked at me, gave me a sly smile and winked. It was John Conlee.

And here is Rose Colored Glasses by the man himself:

[video=youtube;sJ8mlC3mWW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ8mlC3mWW4[/video]

Very cool story. I am a big fan of John Conlee. It must have been very neat to meet him and he absolutely has a one-of-a-kind voice.

My favorite song by him, only peaked at #4, in 1987:

[video=youtube;ntDDqQKLNqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntDDqQKLNqA[/video]

Brings back memories. Years ago I was at a small restaurant in Hendersonville, Tennessee, just north of Nashville that is home to a bunch of performers in the music industry. I was there with my girlfriend. We had visited that restaurant every two or three months for the past several years, so I was familiar with the wait staff, the owners and some of the regulars.

This was during the time that Rose Colored Glasses had just topped the charts. We noticed a guy at the small bar who looked just like John Conlee. He seemed to know the bartender, Robin, who was the daughter of the owner. I went to the bar to get drinks and to say hello to Robin. As I was there, I casually asked the guy if he was John Conlee. His response was, "No, and I don't even like his music." I replied with something like, "Well, I do; he has the greatest voice in popular music today." I went back to our table and told my girlfriend, "That's John Conlee." In Nashville, the rule is, the artists aren't bothered. It's OK to say hello to them, but unless they engage we mortals in conversation, they are left alone.

We sat there for awhile after ordering dinner, and kind of forgot about the guy at the bar. A little while later the singer in the band, that was playing in the other room, said, "Here is our favorite song, and we are going to call one of our special friends up to do it for you."

The guy at the bar got up, walked into the other room and launched into Rose Colored Glasses as only John Conley could do it. I looked at my girlfriend, and said: "I told you." He sang a few more songs, came back into the main dining room, went back to the bar, looked at me, gave me a sly smile and winked. It was John Conlee.

And here is Rose Colored Glasses by the man himself:

[video=youtube_share;kRDRX4Gyq6I]http://youtu.be/kRDRX4Gyq6I[/video]

Girl, I heard you're getting married
Heard you're getting married, this time you're really sure
And this is the end, they say you really mean it
This guy's the one that makes you feel so safe, so sane and so secure
And, baby, if he loves you more than me
Maybe it's the best thing
Maybe it's the best thing for you
But it's the worst that could happen to me

I'll never get married
Never get married, you know that's not my scene
But a girl like you needs to be married
I've known all along you couldn't live forever in between
And, baby, if he loves you more than me
But it's the worst that could happen to me

And, girl, I don't really blame you for having a dream of your own
Hey, girl, I don't really blame you
A woman like you needs a house and a home, baby
If he really loves you more than me
But it's the worst that could happen

Oh, girl, don't wanna get married
Girl, I'm never, never gonna marry, no no
No, it's the worst that could happen
The worst that could happen
Oh, girl, the worst that could happen

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
want to dance with me? good...come here then mmmmmmmmm put me out put me out of misery :D:D:D

[video=youtube;-tRdBsnX4N4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRdBsnX4N4[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy