Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned earlier, but right now I'm listing to Ken Wiley's "Art of Jazz" radio show streaming at www.kplu.org. Every Sunday from 3:00pm to 6:00pm Pacific time he plays old time jazz, usually focusing on a featured band or artist. Well worth taking a listen to.

anon`

One Too Many
It's been all sunny and summer-like around here lately. Perhaps not surprisingly (following the seasonal music thread), I'm listening to...

Dropkick Murphys - The Rocky Road to Dublin

512WM4XSTSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Yep, must be summer!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've listened to a mix of Connie Francis, Bobby Darin, Frankie Avalon and The Everly Brothers. I have a CD with Connie Francis but I'm listening to Darin, Avalon and Everlys on youtube because I can't afford to buy music right now and they're rediscovered childhood treasures. I'm not that old but I was listening to them all when I grew up along with Patsy Cline and Pattie Page.

Currently I can't get enough of:
The Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back
The Everly Brothers - That's Old Fashioned
The Everly Brothers - Till I Kissed You
Connie Francis - I Will Wait For You (and I don't like it covered by anyone else)
Connie Francis - Falling
Bobby Darin - Raining (partial song)
Bobby Darin - Mac The Knife
Bobby Darin - Beyond The Sea
Frankie Avalon - Why

I listen to other songs by the same artists too but these are the ones I play on repeat.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I still can't stop playing Duffy 'Mercy' .. and I cant stop dancing to it either, so it better not be playing at work or I will get no work done while its on!!

I didn't think her "sound" was going to be my taste but I like that ...'Warwick...' song. I'll youtube it!:)

YETI

A-List Customer
Early 90s shoegaze...

It's mostly 4AD stuff, Cocteau Twins, Lush, Dead Can Dance that's getting heavy rotation. I can't forget to add My Bloody Valentine.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I still can't stop playing Duffy 'Mercy' .. and I cant stop dancing to it either, so it better not be playing at work or I will get no work done while its on!!

I like Warwick Avenue more. The music video is enticing.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Smithy said:
I'm pea-green with envy! First time again for 16 years, you're in for a treat. Consider taking ear plugs because if they are like they were in the late '80s/early '90s, they are one of the loudest live bands ever. Have fun!

If you like MBV and haven't heard them pick up the first 3 EPs of Slowdive, they sound like MBV crossed with the Cocteau Twins. Sadly long disbanded (morphed into Mojave 3) but not forgotten.

I was very lucky to see them a couple of times the first time around and they weren't quite as loud this time (or maybe my 35 year old ears are just tougher!). They handed out free earplugs and I wore them gladly like the sensible grown-up I now am :)

Awesome show... wish I could have gone to more than one night. I'd have liked to have gone down the front for at least one. They played nearly all my favourites including a few slightly more obscure B-sides which i wasn't expecting. I'm not holding my breath for a new album (or just a finished version of the one they started in 93) but you never know...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm watching the Met's production of Daughter of the Regiment that I heard on the radio a couple of months ago. Absolutely wonderful. It's been set in a somewhat fictionalized France on the early 1930's. Just wonderful. Including a full scale replica of a Renault FT-17 tank.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We had that version of "Daughter" as the final presentation in the 2007-08 season of big-screen theatre live simulcasts, and it was completely sold out -- we had people scalping tickets in the line outside, which is an amazing thing in a town of less than 9000 people. Great production, great performance!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic