Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

[video=youtube;eDdI7GhZSQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDdI7GhZSQA[/video]

:laser:
15_8_219.gif

Irving Aaronson and his Commanders -- If I Had You (1929)
Another one of my favorites. Beautfiul tune and I've never heard a bad version.

[video=youtube;TnXSwOz_RVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXSwOz_RVs[/video]

Really? Ask your grandchildren who they are and see the confused stare you get back. After that generation is gone----they will fade away and I will be clapping. :clap:

Sadly, I'm not sure about that either as The Boys much beloved by Lizzie are generally of the Baby Boomer generation and will still be zombifying another generation or two before they finally check out. :p

Really...ask them who was Mozart, Eddie Cantor, Glenn Miller, Hank Williams, Pavoratti & the list goes on.......

Personally, I wouldn’t base what will fade or not by asking grandchildren.

But I respect your opinion just as I respect others who write in to express their love for a specific music &
time period.

Even if it was from the past before they were born or the present.

Who are we to tell them that it will fade.

I noticed that your title is bartender.
If my comment was out of content , then you or LizzieMaine will delete it , give me a warning.
Or have me banned.
You posted a comment about a musical group that I posted & I replied to your comment.

You can't equate Mozart and Pavoratti with the Dung Beatles. The classics will always stand the test of time. "popular music" fades with time as it is a fad and their time comes and goes with that specific generation.

Remember you are on a forum about the Golden Era. Anything after the 50s(and some say the 40s) is not exactly within our scope. :p

Remember you are on a forum about the Golden Era. Anything after the 50s(and some say the 40s) is not exactly within our scope. :p

Maybe so, jp but the music discussions on this thread have covered a lot of eras and some of the music you and I have commented on is a lot more contemporary than the Beatles. I was never a Beatles fan and have never bought a piece of their music but the first guitar lesson I ever took, the instructor handed me Beatles music, "Love Me Do". I'd venture to say that the Beatles have had some influence on just about every rock and roll band that came after them. They split 45 years ago and the two surviving members are still making music and a lot of people still listen to the original Beatles music. I'd hardly call that a fad.

Maybe so, jp but the music discussions on this thread have covered a lot of eras and some of the music you and I have commented on is a lot more contemporary than the Beatles. I was never a Beatles fan and have never bought a piece of their music but the first guitar lesson I ever took, the instructor handed me Beatles music, "Love Me Do". I'd venture to say that the Beatles have had some influence on just about every rock and roll band that came after them. They split 45 years ago and the two surviving members are still making music and a lot of people still listen to the original Beatles music. I'd hardly call that a fad.

The same could be said of Mozart and he died in 1791. When that dreck is still around over 200 years later then I might not think they are a fad.:p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hoagy Carmichael, to cite an example off the top of my head, wrote hundreds of songs, and one of them, "Stardust," was for a long time the single most-recorded composition in twentieth-century popular music. It was a song everybody knew, across generations.

Almost thirty-four years have passed since Hoagy Carmichael died. There is an entire generation of kids today, possibly two generations, who have no idea that a song called "Stardust" ever existed.

I think the same thing will happen, eventually, to the Beatles. Of all their compositions, the one which will probably live the longest is "Yesterday," simply because aside from all the boomer Beatle blather, it's an extremely well-written song. But even that song will eventually fall out of popular culture and become just an obscure thing that "buffs" go on about. It probably won't be in my lifetime, or yours, but it will happen. It's already on the way -- talk to kids in their twenties and ask them about the Beatles, and a goodly number of them will just sniff and call them "old people's music."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21