Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
As I have mentioned once, and will probably mention several more times before April, I'm in a show in Brooklyn set in 1934. So I'm doing research on music of that exact period. Well I realized that I need seek no further than our own highly respected Lounge member, Fletch. He's been a big band leader for a long time, and has a couple of excellent CD's out. I'm listening to his album "Rhythm Deluxe" right now and it's SENSATIONAL! Here's the link:
http://www.lindemeyer.com/cds/cds.html
The above is a totally unsolicited testimonial.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Max Raabe - "Your the Cream in my Coffee"

palast_orch-1.jpg

Live concert on a a rainy night in Berlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21yzXbPGhWc

just_me

Practically Family
funneman said:
James Brown.

"When I look in the mirror, I look so good, I wanna jump back, kiss myself."

:)
Everytime I think of James Brown, I remember seeing him on the stage of the Brooklyn Fox theatre at a WMCA Good Guys show. I had never seen anyone like him before. WOW! :eusa_clap

funneman

Practically Family
just_me said:
Everytime I think of James Brown, I remember seeing him on the stage of the Brooklyn Fox theatre at a WMCA Good Guys show. I had never seen anyone like him before. WOW! :eusa_clap

Wow! that's awsome.

I've seen some of the greats, even opened the show for some, but never had the honor of watching James work.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
My Own Worst Enemy--LIT

Contains one of my favorite lyrics "Can we forget about the things I said when I was drunk/I didn't mean to call you that"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Red Nichols' 5 Pennies (all 12 of 'em) playing a righteous (if not at all Ellingtonian) rendition of Duke's Rockin' in Rhythm in 1934. You will believe a tuba and a guitar can play in the same rhythm section - or could, once, long ago.

Next up on shuffle play is Ben Selvin and the Columbia ork in 1932, with Helen Rowland, who sings Cabin in the Cotton. She and BG, TD, and Manny Klein make it a classy and intense experience. In my idea of heaven, there is still live radio, and the house band sounds like this.

Following is Joe Haymes, the dapper little guy who made so much good music nobody ever gave a damn about. Case in point: an odd, propulsive 1934 swingstrumental called Lost Motion, a name meaning the wasted play in a badly adjusted mechanism, which the Haymes band definitely was not. Turn down Antheil's score for Léger's Ballet mécanique and play this recording and it makes perfect sense.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marie, by Boots and His Buddies, recording at the Hotel Gunter in San Antonio in 1936. They kind of make a mess of it (sounds like the chart was made up on the spot), but it swings like hell.

Then to Spud Murphy's hip, riffy arrangement of You Can Depend On Me, played by Benny Goodman in '35. An early example of the swing era principle of dynamic repetition.

Carbine

New in Town
How do!

I'm too broke to pay for music, so everyday at work I listen to AM 1710 Antioch Radio on iTunes, broadcasts from "this day in history." Mostly radio dramas, but interspersed with music; Benny Goodman, Dinning Sisters, Ella Fitzgerald, Cab Calloway, and all the crooners. Some late 40's, early 50's stuff when the shows were heavy into the Red Scare. Sometimes some little perks, like the Raymond Scott Quintet, or some Latin salsa. I especially love listening to the commercials; Blue Coal, War Bonds, Signal Oil, Chesterfields, etc.

I'm new here, so any advice would be great (I've read the stickies). Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn