Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Edward

Bartender
This past week, I have mostly been listening to Wanda Jackson's I remember Elvis tribute album, Bizet's Carmen, and The 101'ers.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to accompany a pastrami on rye --

Starting off in 1934 with the Boswell Sisters, accompanied by Jimmie Grier and his Orchestra, and "Rock and Roll." Yeah, it's all their fault.

Next, ahead to 1936 and down to the Grill Room again for Dolly Dawn and her Dawn Patrol and an excellent Bluebird of "You Can't Pull The Wool Over My Eyes." Dolly does a bouncy vocal, and the band sounds like it stole the Tommy Dorsey book while TD was off behind the bandstand with Edythe.

Chas

One Too Many
What is probably solely responsible for me not having lost my mind at some point in my life, and could well do so in the future.

Something that should be in everyone's collection:

60300289.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to be allergic to allergy pills by ---

Starting off in 1939 with Abe Lyman and his Orchestra and an outlandishly entertaining vocal by Rose Blane on "The Monkeys Have No Tails In Pago-Pago." Gasoline, Ovaltine, even hops and malt -- nothing helps. How very sad.

Next, following a commercial for OD-30 disinfectant -- goodbye, Spirit Of Strange Odors -- it's back to 1935 for Gaye Knight and his Orchestra and "The Very Thought Of You." One of the best versions of this song not done by Ray Noble, even though vocalist Ruth Delmar has a deeper voice than Al Bowlly.

grundie

One of the Regulars
Currently listening to a radio show dedicated to Gregorian chants that I tuned in to by accident. Oddly, I'm finding it rather enjoyable and relaxing.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
Isham Jones and Eddie Stone vocals >>>> ( i adore Eddie Stone he is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) "I Hate Myself " :D :D
Hadley, welcome back! And what a great pick for a Jones record. Got that Big Beat.

And isn't that pic great...it's from about 1923. Have a copy print of it myself someplace.

Here's Isham at about that same time, with his burnished gold-plated Conn tenor sax and Bakelite mouthpiece. He really was a good player - altho he wasn't heard much after the mid 20s. He helped make the tenor a solo voice in sweet music just as Coleman Hawkins did in jazz.
433px-IshamJonesWithSaxophoneBain.jpg

click here for insanely big version, suitable for Hadley to pin up on bedroom door

Chas

One Too Many
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FdzJun0mEXE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FdzJun0mEXE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats