Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
More Choo Choo than You Can Chew

Another great British Band! Jack Hylton and his Orchestra - "Choo Choo" 1931 - this is fun because it has synchronised soundtrack it's like being there :p ... also the song is so upbeat and happy! I like it!
Smashing, Hadley! Absolutely top hole.

I think I remember the film was shot in the HMV studios while the record was being made. (I say "remember"...no, I wasn't there...not in this life anyway ;))

The tune was Frank Trumbauer's - he and his boss Whiteman both recorded it. Hot instrumentals were not hit material in the states in 1931, but it seems to have caught on in Jolly Olde, with records also cut by Jack Payne and Marius Winter, and even a published stock arrangement.

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
I'm listening to Ella Fitzgerald, on vinyl (the way God intended lol)

And my roommate... singing a 'Joseph & His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' medley. *sigh*

Debroy Somers and his Band -- Sweet So And So
vocal by Jack Buchanan

[video=youtube;_mqdLUr9woU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqdLUr9woU[/video]

Jack Hylton and his Orchestra -- Amy (Wonderful Amy) (1930)

[video=youtube;8dsiZgRKh2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dsiZgRKh2k&feature=related[/video]

Amy Johnson (1903-41), pioneer aviator, captured the imagination of Great Britain and the world in 1930 when she undertook her record-breaking solo flight in her Gypsy Moth aeroplane, "Jason." Setting off from Croydon in South London she reached Australia in 19.5 days in May 1930.

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Smashing, Hadley! Absolutely top hole.

I think I remember the film was shot in the HMV studios while the record was being made. (I say "remember"...no, I wasn't there...not in this life anyway ;))

The tune was Frank Trumbauer's - he and his boss Whiteman both recorded it. Hot instrumentals were not hit material in the states in 1931, but it seems to have caught on in Jolly Olde, with records also cut by Jack Payne and Marius Winter, and even a published stock arrangement.

Thank you Fletch! I listened to the four versions you posted, all are excellent ... I particularly liked the Jack Payne one! :D ...

Chas

One Too Many
Lena Horne with the voice that would make a monk forget about a vow of silence: "As Long As I Live" on Victor, in front of the Horace Henderson Orch.

Maybe it's just 'cause I just got back from the bar drunk to an empty apt....

No, she was awesome. Fini.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lena Horne with the voice that would make a monk forget about a vow of silence: "As Long As I Live" on Victor, in front of the Horace Henderson Orch.

Maybe it's just 'cause I just got back from the bar drunk to an empty apt....

No, she was awesome. Fini.
Here, you need this.
lena-horne2.jpg

All natural Lena. Photo by Carl Van Vechten, 1941.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Sweet Georgia Brown - Craig Ventresco & Meredith Axelrod. Nothing is going to stir that dog!
[video=youtube;kmCZvXiBQuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmCZvXiBQuc[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Radio for the evening cornflakes --

It's November 29, 1939, and WOR is presenting "Just Between Ourselves," a program of women's news delivered by Brenda Adams. The fashion cognoscenti have declared red fingernails are passe -- because as an attention-getter, they are too common to attract attention. She also predicts that women will be wearing tailored trousers on the street in ten years, but they fail to offer any prediction of what gentlemen will be wearing.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Sweet Georgia Brown - Craig Ventresco & Meredith Axelrod. Nothing is going to stir that dog!
kahuna.

What a strange coincidence that I go to check this thread and read that while listening to the same song covered by Bing Crosby!

martinsantos

Practically Family
Jolson is great!

In 1999 nobody here was talking about LPs - except me. Once I arrived at my work with a lot of LPs. My boss, laughing at the records, asked me: "Hey! Soon you will say that you like Al Jolson!" Showed him two 10" by Jolson I just bought. He respected me a lot by my work, but since that day I think he always tought me as somewhat crazy...

(the last laugh was mine, anyway. Ten years later LPs became elegant again. And my old boss asked me to help him to buy a turntable!)

A selection of Al Jolson songs, my colleagues think I have an odd taste in music. Grrr.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm getting reacquainted with an old friend at the moment: Golden Age radio. Haven't listened to this stuff in months. Current episode is...

The Shadow - 'Unto Death Do Us Part'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot