Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
Time Out - The Dave Brubeck Quartet
6a00e54fabf0ec88330120a78bd30b970b-450wi

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to smack my monitor on the side to keep it working by --

Now playing, it's 1933 with Ted Lewis and his Orchestra with Ted Himself on the vocal for "We're In The Money." Sol Klein tears off an extremely hot violin solo once Ted has had his say. Who says Ted Lewis records are all corn?

Next, it's 1931 with Nat Shilkret and the Victor Salon Orchestra and an elegant, rather rococo arrangement of "Manhattan Serenade," a tune that will make you immediately think of My Man Godfrey, the Easy Aces, or Tom and Jerry, or possibly all of them at once.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Ozzie Nelson's band on transcriptions in 1937.
5468316261_d643b8b914_m.jpg

They were a lot more impressive there than on 78s - they really had a nice ensemble quality and soloists (trumpet and bari sax). You almost don't notice that they played the same arrangement on every tune. And I like Ozzie's voice because he didn't sound at all phony or affected.

Last edited:
Enjoying the Blackpool Tower Wurlitzer organ as the Queen Mary, through the magic of Aaron1912, sails off into the sunset.

[video=youtube;Nbh3YSJR-Lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbh3YSJR-Lw[/video]

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
[video=youtube;rc_BNvQu4sI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc_BNvQu4sI[/video]
Listening to ‘Salome’ by Harry Roy and his orch- one of my very favourite bands….It’s a real cracker of a song too!:D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I are listenin' to the late and great Cab Calloway:

[video=youtube;EqxzT4vXc1k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqxzT4vXc1k[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

martinsantos

Practically Family
Dorsey has the most beautiful, romantic and warm trombone praying I've ever heard! Sometimes make me to want Sinatra stops singing...

Here I'm listening a very different and interesting orch, Sauter-Finegan (a LP called "The Return of the Doodletown Fifers" - an absolutely untransladable name!). I always liked the works of Eddie Sauter and Bill Finegan, and their orch is quite impressive.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to look for the slice of bacon the cat just stole by --

Now playing it's 1938 with Larry Clinton and his Orchestra, and Bea Wain giving her usual treatment to "Summer Souvenirs." There was a whole spate of songs in 1937-38 about poor souls moping over their scrapbooks -- clearly however great a period it may have been for American culture, it was also the Golden Era of Breaking Up.

Next, following a singing commercial for Beeman's Pepsin Gum -- it really aids digestion! -- it's back to 1936 for one of the many novelty dance tunes being turned out then by Jimmie Lunceford and his Orchestra, "Tain't Good -- Like A Nickel Made Of Wood." It sounds like Jimmie swiped Ozzie Nelson's arrangement when Ozzie wasn't looking, and got frustrated when he realized he didn't have a baritone sax in the band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner