Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
This is pushing the Golden Era a bit, but so what...
Skokiaan (a Zulu word meaning a kind of moonshine) was a hit record in South Africa that swept the world in 1954. The composer and alto sax soloist, August Msarurgwa, plays it in the original tsabatsaba style.

The Four Lads made a hopelessly derpy vocal version of it, which I'll spare you. Instead here's Louis Armstrong, with Omer Simeon on soprano sax, and Sy Oliver's orchestra in 1954. It's become a "rumba" - tho the beat is about the same.

Finally the Lawrence Welk Champagne Music in 1959. Jack Martin is the soloist in a smooth fox trot styling by arranger Joe Haymes, who banishes the clanking banjos for a tasty trombone quartet.

Great renditions all of them. The funny thing about the original version is that I can absolutely here it played with tin whistles in place of saxophones. In South Africa they made a point of the fact that they couldn't raelly afford saxophones and so used tin (or penny) whistles instead - which then developed into a new musical style. I love music from South Africa!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
My love for the High Hatters, who were an in-house band of the Victor Talking Machine Company, grows stronger day by day!What an amazing group! I know all of their songs and I can not find one i dislike.

and the sad thing is... not one photo of them anywhere online! not one! that is the most unfair thing ever!:Cry:

[video=youtube;BFPHNx35JHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFPHNx35JHc[/video]

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Sh-boom by the Crew Cuts.

I always have to chuckle a little at the lyrics. "If you do what I want you to, baby we'd be so fine..."

Well... yes I'm sure he thinks so! lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
My love for the High Hatters, who were an in-house band of the Victor Talking Machine Company, grows stronger day by day!What an amazing group! I know all of their songs and I can not find one i dislike.

and the sad thing is... not one photo of them anywhere online! not one! that is the most unfair thing ever!
Well Hadley, let's see what we can do...

The leader of the Hatters was Leonard Joy, A & R executive with RCA for many years. Here he is with Duke Ellington in 1940, at the latter's first Victor session on a new contract.
Duke20with20Leonard20Joy20for20first20Victor20Date.jpg

Del Staigers was one of the best lead trumpeters of the day.
del_small.jpg

2nd and hot trumpet was Mike Mosiello, veteran of many a jazz session.
MikeMosiello2.jpg

Mike's close collaborator (with the Hatters and many other bands) was Andy Sannella, playing all the saxes, clarinet and steel guitar.
220px-Sannella,_Andy_%28from_1936_sheet_music_cover%29.jpg

Tommy Dorsey sometimes filled the trombone chair - or else Chuck Campbell (no pic handy).
2b_150.jpg

Lou Raderman, a fiddler who really got around.
VelvetTone-1607-V.jpg

Milton Rettenberg at the piano.
51b4JvytCTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charles Magnante, the accordionist's accordionist.
26167969.jpg

Joe Green played drums, but was better known as one of the xylophone virtuoso Green Brothers. Here he is in his days with Sousa's Band.
joegre7e6.jpg

And of course Frank Luther, one of the most recorded and broadcast voices of the era, in anything from hillbilly ballads to high-class pops.
Frank+Luther11.jpg

(Couldn't find pix of Joe Dubin, 2nd sax; Dick Maffei, banjo & guitar; or Al Armer, bass.)

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Thank you so very much Fletch! Great pictures!:D

I must also thank this photo of the HH that was sent to me by an angel! (many thanks :D)that is under the name of Victor Studio Orchestra

VictorStudioOrchestraInDecoFrame.jpg

Thank you so much!!!

Slim Tim

New in Town
Recently I've been listening to a lot of Kay Kyser and Glenn Miller.
[video=youtube;aEdsDq33DpQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdsDq33DpQ[/video]
[video=youtube;VTAIjurglWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTAIjurglWI[/video]

Cledus Maggard and the Citizen Band --Dad, I Gotta Go (1976)

[video=youtube;BAdrPmY-Unw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAdrPmY-Unw&feature=related[/video]

C.W. McCall -- Old Home Fill 'Er Up And Keep On Truckin' Cafe

[video=youtube;f3ZdQJ4BeXI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ZdQJ4BeXI&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Streaming the 20s and 30s via radiodismuke.com:

Singin' in the Rain - Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards, 1929. I forget whether Cliff introduced this, but he might as well have, his rendition is that definitive.

Hello Beautiful - Sam Lanin & Orch., 1931. Peppy-steppy item vocalized by Paul Small, the little man with the voice to match.

I Like to Do Things for You - Paul Whiteman & Orch., 1930. The Rhythm Boys get with the gender-bending trend, fussing with your hair, tie, hat, etc. Wait, maybe it's HadleyH they're talking about. :whistling

The Roses Were Red (The Violets Were Blue) - Sleepy Hall and his Collegians (ARC Orch.), 1932. Beyond unremarkable, but we do get to hear from Harold van Emburgh, "The Lew Conrad of the Saxophone."

I Shall Still Keep Smiling Along - Ray Noble & New Mayfair Orch., 1933. Al Bowlly and the band show what England could do with a "beyond unremarkable" tune that an American band couldn't get away with (and sell records over here when our bands couldn't!).

Last edited:
Watching a Hee Haw episode from 1969 and spied a very young clip of Hank Williams, Jr. very different sound/look than most think of today.
[video=youtube;0oqskfFG0R0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oqskfFG0R0[/video]

Somehow, I knew you'd comment on this, Rue. Probably because you're most aware of my obsession with Hee Haw lol

Wanna know a secret? My buddies and I get too much drink in us and sing your song loud and obnoxiously :)

^ That is so weird lol
I have to tell you a secret Tom... Put this song on and it it puts me in a mood to sing loud and obnoxious ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails