Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Royal Society Jazz Orchestra, playing "My Baby Just Cares for Me" featuring the Royal Jesters and Carla Normand on vocals. This clip from their PBS special in the late 1980s.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WclW89R9J8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WclW89R9J8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Fletch said:
Star Gazing, a pleasant Jerry Levinson tune (most of his were), played by the Barbary Coast Orchestra of Dartmouth College in 1935 on Decca. Every college worth anything had its own dance band then, but the "Coast" was an institution. Nonetheless, they did only the one platter for Decca, and no more.

Princeton had the Triangle Jazz Band which was part of their Triangle Club musical comedy troupe. In 1928 they made a recording of Day After Day which featured a vocal by Jimmy Stewart!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Finished up the other day listening to the "Christmas Spectacular" on the The Swing Years podcast. Great swing era Christmas songs. Was amazed to hear a mid-forties remote broadcast of "Blue Christmas" by Jan Graber (sp.?) Band. I thought it originated somehow with Elvis, since it's so closely identified with him.

For the past week or so I've been listing to my own Christmas playlist during the commutes. All the good stuff, no commercials...

Crickett Smith and his Symphonians -- Taj Mahal (1936)
(recorded in Bombay, India)
Rex 7994-A

Where the dome and minaret outline the sky
In the shadows of the golden moon
There a tropic breeze softly sighs
As you hear the lovers croon

Taj Mahal, Taj Mahal,
India's mystic shrine
Taj Mahal, Taj Mahal,
Home of love divine

In all your grandeur you stand alone
Guarding a secret of your own
Oh Taj Mahal you fill us with amazement
We all gaze with wonder on you

Crickett Smith and his Symphonians was an American jazz band that played in India from 1933 to around 1942

Now playing...

Eddie Cantor -- Okay, Toots (1934)

This recording really swings. Just listening to it you get the sense that Eddie Cantor, like many of the great entertainers of the Golden Era, must have had quite a presence on stage.

And in the spirit of the Holiday Season, I thought I'd also include this one...

Eddie Cantor -- The Only Thing I Want For Christmas (1939)

There's a certain sad poignancy to it for when this recording was made the Second World War was raging in Europe in it's third month, and little did anyone know that America would only have one more Christmas to celebrate in peace before she too would receive a terrible lump of coal in a place called Pearl Harbor.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to stumble half-asleep around the kitchen by --

Now playing, Tom Gerun and his Orchestra in 1930 with the definitive happy-peppy pop tune of the day, "Cheerful Little Earful." No more snow to shovel today, so I guess that's reason to be cheerful.

Next, following a commercial for Ironized Yeast with the big I-Y on every tablet, it's Kay Kyser and his crew in 1942 strutting large with "A Zoot Suit!" Sully Mason, Trudy Erwin, Jack Martin, Max Williams, and Dorothy Crawford all get in on the vocal. No Ish Kabibble here-- guess they didn't have a zoot in his size.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff